Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Which CPU should I use

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2008
Daniel
 

Posts: n/a
Which CPU should I use
Hi

I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the best
performance.

1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig

Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work c)
General EG Spreadsheets etc.

Appreciate any advice.

regards

Daniel

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2008
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Which CPU should I use
I would recommend the Core 2 Duo instead of any HT cpu.
"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:%23lUUrTuXJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the best
> performance.
>
> 1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
> 2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig
>
> Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work c)
> General EG Spreadsheets etc.
>
> Appreciate any advice.
>
> regards
>
> Daniel


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2008
The Max
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Which CPU should I use
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 05:42:44 +1100, "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the best
>performance.
>
>1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
>2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig
>
>Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work c)
>General EG Spreadsheets etc.


It would that you can use either, so choose one. Then the other.
Find out for yourself which is faster.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2008
Daniel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Which CPU should I use
Thanks

If I can just expand on this with your knowledge, since the Pentium D is
Dual Core and more
powerful, I think, 3.2g vs 2.66G, why is that not a better option.


thanks

Daniel
"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
news:OIksnruXJHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> I would recommend the Core 2 Duo instead of any HT cpu.
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:%23lUUrTuXJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the best
>> performance.
>>
>> 1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
>> 2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig
>>
>> Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work c)
>> General EG Spreadsheets etc.
>>
>> Appreciate any advice.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Daniel

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2008
Daniel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Which CPU should I use


"The Max" <max.imus@geemail.com> wrote in message
news:01cdk45rgl1bk6ccae99bsikdn918j0hq0@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 05:42:44 +1100, "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the best
>>performance.
>>
>>1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
>>2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig
>>
>>Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work c)
>>General EG Spreadsheets etc.

>
> It would that you can use either, so choose one. Then the other.
> Find out for yourself which is faster.


Problem is I am not talented enough to do the installation so it costs $$$$

cheers

Daniel

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2008
The Max
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Which CPU should I use
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:00:26 +1100, "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>
>
>"The Max" <max.imus@geemail.com> wrote in message
>news:01cdk45rgl1bk6ccae99bsikdn918j0hq0@4ax.com.. .
>> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 05:42:44 +1100, "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the best
>>>performance.
>>>
>>>1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
>>>2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig
>>>
>>>Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work c)
>>>General EG Spreadsheets etc.

>>
>> It would that you can use either, so choose one. Then the other.
>> Find out for yourself which is faster.

>
>Problem is I am not talented enough to do the installation so it costs $$$$


Then flip a coin, or use a hunch.

Max
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2008
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Which CPU should I use
A HT CPU is not a true dual core where each CPU operated independently of
the other like a Core 2 Duo does.
In a hyper threaded CPU either processor can execute an instruction however
all of the other CPU work to get the next instruction ready to execute is
single threaded.
"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:eqG8HvuXJHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Thanks
>
> If I can just expand on this with your knowledge, since the Pentium D is
> Dual Core and more
> powerful, I think, 3.2g vs 2.66G, why is that not a better option.
>
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel
> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> news:OIksnruXJHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> I would recommend the Core 2 Duo instead of any HT cpu.
>> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23lUUrTuXJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the
>>> best performance.
>>>
>>> 1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
>>> 2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig
>>>
>>> Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work
>>> c) General EG Spreadsheets etc.
>>>
>>> Appreciate any advice.
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Daniel

>>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2008
Daniel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Which CPU should I use
Okay, as I understand it a Dual Core CPU has a single core split into two,
with each one Hyperthreading , when I open Task manager I see four
processors.

So if I have software that combines the cores/threads don't I get a total of
3.2 Gig, does that mean
that with a Core 2 Duo if the cores are combined by the software, do I get 2
x 2.66 = 5.32??

It is difficult to know, looking it up I get a lot of contradictory
information.

regards

Daniel
"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
news:#myoITvXJHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> A HT CPU is not a true dual core where each CPU operated independently of
> the other like a Core 2 Duo does.
> In a hyper threaded CPU either processor can execute an instruction
> however all of the other CPU work to get the next instruction ready to
> execute is single threaded.
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:eqG8HvuXJHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks
>>
>> If I can just expand on this with your knowledge, since the Pentium D is
>> Dual Core and more
>> powerful, I think, 3.2g vs 2.66G, why is that not a better option.
>>
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel
>> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> news:OIksnruXJHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> I would recommend the Core 2 Duo instead of any HT cpu.
>>> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> news:%23lUUrTuXJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>> Hi
>>>>
>>>> I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the
>>>> best performance.
>>>>
>>>> 1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
>>>> 2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig
>>>>
>>>> Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work
>>>> c) General EG Spreadsheets etc.
>>>>
>>>> Appreciate any advice.
>>>>
>>>> regards
>>>>
>>>> Daniel
>>>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2008
Paul Smith
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Which CPU should I use
"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:%23lUUrTuXJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the best
> performance.
>
> 1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
> 2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig
>
> Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work c)
> General EG Spreadsheets etc.


The Core 2 Duo runs circles around the Pentium D.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience.
http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
Daniel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Which CPU should I use


"Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
news:#ye8ZsvXJHA.5704@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:%23lUUrTuXJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
>> I have two spare CPU's and am not certain which one will give me the best
>> performance.
>>
>> 1) Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) Extreme 3.2 Gig with HT
>> 2) Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 Gig
>>
>> Any ideas on which will perform faster for a) Gaming, b) Graphics work c)
>> General EG Spreadsheets etc.

>
> The Core 2 Duo runs circles around the Pentium D.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Thanks Paul and Curious for your help

regards

Daniel

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:30.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120