22" max res of only 1440x900 problem (Radeon HD3850)

RexHam

22" max res of only 1440x900 problem (Radeon HD3850)

Hi all....

I've just gone and upgraded to Vista 64bit to maximize the 4gb RAM I
have (with more planned) but have a problem with my Cibox 22" WS monitor
only reporting a max resoltion of 1440x900 by the Ati Catalyst CC
(v8.11) but it's native res is 1680x1050!

On 32bit Vista - it was fine and had it at 1680x1050 no problem! My
Radeon HD3850 has dual DVI connectors - the monitor has only D-sub VGA
input so I'm using an adapter to connect the monitor to the GPU card but
as I said, this wasn't a problem in Vista 32bit...

In Device Manager, the monitor is showing as a 'non PnPlay Monitor'

I've tried forcing it to that res in the monitor>attributes section,
but it still won't have it, it just stays at 1440x900!

I have the latest drivers installed for my card after updating them
thinking it would solve the issue, but it hasn't.

I've done a search on here and various remedies suggested (to others
with similar probs) were to use an adapter (already doing that anyway)
and to point Vista to the monitor's .ini file (which I dont think there
is one - no disk supplied - no drivers on the Cibox site...) Bit stumped
tbh....

Anyone got any other suggestions I can try? I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks if you can help

--
RexHam
Brian the King

Re: 22" max res of only 1440x900 problem (Radeon HD3850)

RexHam;902297 Wrote:
> ...I've tried forcing it to that res in the monitor>attributes section,
> but it still won't have it, it just stays at 1440x900!...

Was this in the CCC that you tried to force it? And even that didn't
work?

--
Brian the King
RexHam

Brian the King;902309 Wrote:
> > RexHam;902297 Wrote:
> > ...I've tried forcing it to that res in the monitor>attributes section,
> > but it still won't have it, it just stays at 1440x900!...> >

> Was this in the CCC that you tried to force it? And even that didn't
> work?

Yes it was Brian - (thanks for replying btw....)

On the Monitor Attributes tab, you can untick 'Use EDID or driver
defaults' and it lets you specify a resolution and refresh rate...but it
just -doesn't- do it...it just stays at 1440x900

--
RexHam
Timothy Davis [MSFT]

Re: 22" max res of only 1440x900 problem (Radeon HD3850)
Windows matches the matrix of supported resolutions/refresh rates provided
by your video card, and by your monitor. You will only see the options
where entries overlap (where both devices can support the
resolution/refresh).

Since you have a "non PnPlay Monitor" driver installed, I am 99% confident
this is the problem. There may have been a disk that came with your
monitor - have you checked this? Or the manufacturer's website?

If neither of these work, please reply to the group with the hardwareIDs of
the monitor:

start --> run --> devmgmt.msc --> device properties --> details tab -->
hardwareIDs

Note: The "driver" for monitors pretty much consists of an INF file with
instructions to Windows about the support resolutions.

"RexHam" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi all....
>
> I've just gone and upgraded to Vista 64bit to maximize the 4gb RAM I
> have (with more planned) but have a problem with my Cibox 22" WS monitor
> only reporting a max resoltion of 1440x900 by the Ati Catalyst CC
> (v8.11) but it's native res is 1680x1050!
>
> On 32bit Vista - it was fine and had it at 1680x1050 no problem! My
> Radeon HD3850 has dual DVI connectors - the monitor has only D-sub VGA
> input so I'm using an adapter to connect the monitor to the GPU card but
> as I said, this wasn't a problem in Vista 32bit...
>
> In Device Manager, the monitor is showing as a 'non PnPlay Monitor'
>
> I've tried forcing it to that res in the monitor>attributes section,
> but it still won't have it, it just stays at 1440x900!
>
> I have the latest drivers installed for my card after updating them
> thinking it would solve the issue, but it hasn't.
>
> I've done a search on here and various remedies suggested (to others
> with similar probs) were to use an adapter (already doing that anyway)
> and to point Vista to the monitor's .ini file (which I dont think there
> is one - no disk supplied - no drivers on the Cibox site...) Bit stumped
> tbh....
>
> Anyone got any other suggestions I can try? I'd really appreciate it...
>
> Thanks if you can help
>

> --
> RexHam

Dominic Payer

Re: 22" max res of only 1440x900 problem (Radeon HD3850)
The monitor appears to have been incorrectly detected. In Device Manager,
right click and uninstall the 'non PnPlay Monitor' then rescan for devices.

If this does not detect the monitor as a PnP device, check that the graphics
card is securely seated and that the cable and DVI to VGA adaptor are
securely attached and undamaged. 64-bit can be more demanding than 32-bit
about hardware quality.

It is possible that the monitor has developed a fault and the 64-bit
installation was coincidental.

"RexHam" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi all....
>
> I've just gone and upgraded to Vista 64bit to maximize the 4gb RAM I
> have (with more planned) but have a problem with my Cibox 22" WS monitor
> only reporting a max resoltion of 1440x900 by the Ati Catalyst CC
> (v8.11) but it's native res is 1680x1050!
>
> On 32bit Vista - it was fine and had it at 1680x1050 no problem! My
> Radeon HD3850 has dual DVI connectors - the monitor has only D-sub VGA
> input so I'm using an adapter to connect the monitor to the GPU card but
> as I said, this wasn't a problem in Vista 32bit...
>
> In Device Manager, the monitor is showing as a 'non PnPlay Monitor'
>
> I've tried forcing it to that res in the monitor>attributes section,
> but it still won't have it, it just stays at 1440x900!
>
> I have the latest drivers installed for my card after updating them
> thinking it would solve the issue, but it hasn't.
>
> I've done a search on here and various remedies suggested (to others
> with similar probs) were to use an adapter (already doing that anyway)
> and to point Vista to the monitor's .ini file (which I dont think there
> is one - no disk supplied - no drivers on the Cibox site...) Bit stumped
> tbh....
>
> Anyone got any other suggestions I can try? I'd really appreciate it...
>
> Thanks if you can help
>

> --
> RexHam

RexHam

Re: 22" max res of only 1440x900 problem (Radeon HD3850)

Hi both - thank you for replying.

Dominic...

After uninstalling the monitor in DM and re-scanning for hardware
changes, it re-appeared as before ( a non PnP monitor...)

All the cables are securely connected in place (infact, the box wasn't
touched or moved prior to Vista x64 install - just formated the drive
and installed new OS...)

As for the monitor itself - well it's virtually brand new - about 3 wks
old... I know it -could- have developed a fault, but it seems very
unlikely to have done so in the hour it took to wipe the previous
install and put the new one on....more likely the driver/OS to blame I
think!

Timothy......

I looked in the properties of the monitor in DM and it says very little
in the Hardware ID's field....just "Monitor\Default_Moinitor" as in the
'screencap here' (http://www.imagebam.com/image/2b0eb220082044)

--
RexHam
Curious

Re: 22" max res of only 1440x900 problem (Radeon HD3850)
Are the ATI drivers listed as the drivers in device properties?

> Hi both - thank you for replying.
>
> Dominic...
>
> After uninstalling the monitor in DM and re-scanning for hardware
> changes, it re-appeared as before ( a non PnP monitor...)
>
> All the cables are securely connected in place (infact, the box wasn't
> touched or moved prior to Vista x64 install - just formated the drive
> and installed new OS...)
>
> As for the monitor itself - well it's virtually brand new - about 3 wks
> old... I know it -could- have developed a fault, but it seems very
> unlikely to have done so in the hour it took to wipe the previous
> install and put the new one on....more likely the driver/OS to blame I
> think!
>
> Timothy......
>
> I looked in the properties of the monitor in DM and it says very little
> in the Hardware ID's field....just "Monitor\Default_Moinitor" as in the
> 'screencap here' (http://www.imagebam.com/image/2b0eb220082044)
>

> --
> RexHam

RexHam

Curious;903135 Wrote:
> Are the ATI drivers listed as the drivers in device properties?

Sorry - not sure what you mean....

By 'device properties' do you mean the monitor's? If so, the 'Driver
Provider' listed in the Monitors' properties in DM are listed as
Microsoft.....

--
RexHam
Curious

Re: 22" max res of only 1440x900 problem (Radeon HD3850)
No, I should have said the Display Adapter properties.
"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Are the ATI drivers listed as the drivers in device properties?
> "RexHam" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi both - thank you for replying.
>>
>> Dominic...
>>
>> After uninstalling the monitor in DM and re-scanning for hardware
>> changes, it re-appeared as before ( a non PnP monitor...)
>>
>> All the cables are securely connected in place (infact, the box wasn't
>> touched or moved prior to Vista x64 install - just formated the drive
>> and installed new OS...)
>>
>> As for the monitor itself - well it's virtually brand new - about 3 wks
>> old... I know it -could- have developed a fault, but it seems very
>> unlikely to have done so in the hour it took to wipe the previous
>> install and put the new one on....more likely the driver/OS to blame I
>> think!
>>
>> Timothy......
>>
>> I looked in the properties of the monitor in DM and it says very little
>> in the Hardware ID's field....just "Monitor\Default_Moinitor" as in the
>> 'screencap here' (http://www.imagebam.com/image/2b0eb220082044)
>>

>> --
>> RexHam

Timothy Davis [MSFT]

Re: 22" max res of only 1440x900 problem (Radeon HD3850)
>> Timothy......
>>
>> I looked in the properties of the monitor in DM and it says very little
>> in the Hardware ID's field....just "Monitor\Default_Moinitor" as in the
>> 'screencap here' (http://www.imagebam.com/image/2b0eb220082044)

When you plug in a device, it the responsibility of the 'bus' you plugged
the device into to report the new device. In this case, when you plug the
monitor into the video card, it is up the the video card driver to report to
Windows the existence of a new monitor.

It appears that something is not right between your display card and the
monitor, so the display driver defaulted to 'default monitor'. Since this
worked with 32 bit machine, I am guessing that the problem is with your
display driver.

The easiest solution is probably to force Windows to load a specific monitor
driver for your display. You can do this by:

start --> run --> devmgmt.msc --> device properties --> driver tab -->
update driver --> browse my computer... --> let me pick from a list.... -->
uncheck 'show compatible hardware'

In here - see if you can find your manufacturer. Otherwise, use (standard
monitor types), and try to find the best match on the right side.

If you get into trouble, boot into safe mode and uninstall the monitor
driver.

If this doesn't work, you may need to try older versions of the ATI display
driver.