Vista laptop won't turn on

Sciencekid

Vista laptop won't turn on
I don't know if this is in the right section or not, but I have a HP Pavilion
dv9408nr and Vista premium ( or at least I remember that it wasn't basic, so
I'm assuming it was premium) and last time the computer had shut down, it was
updating something, I don't know what. and i let it update without removing
the power or anything til it shut down. but now when I turn it on, and its
plugged in, the light for the power is on and the light that shows its
thinking goes on at first and then turns off, all the lights are on like
they're supposed to but the display never turns on, I don't hear any regular
noises coming from the computer. the light for the cd drive goes on during
this and so does the card reader that i have built in to the laptop and then
after approximately 30 seconds it cycles power and starts all over again..
the battery is full so it cant be that. i tried placing a ubuntu live cd in
the drive just in case that would affect it and nothing changed.. eventually
it just shuts down.. does anyone know what could have caused this, or
moreover how to fix it?
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista laptop won't turn on
Hi,

Sounds like a hardware failure. Could be the screen, memory, motherboard,
etc. Since it's a laptop, you'll need to contact HP for warranty support, or
a local technician experienced in working on these units. There's not much
that a home user can do (except perhaps reseat/replace the memory modules).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sciencekid" <Sciencekid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't know if this is in the right section or not, but I have a HP
>Pavilion
> dv9408nr and Vista premium ( or at least I remember that it wasn't basic,
> so
> I'm assuming it was premium) and last time the computer had shut down, it
> was
> updating something, I don't know what. and i let it update without
> removing
> the power or anything til it shut down. but now when I turn it on, and its
> plugged in, the light for the power is on and the light that shows its
> thinking goes on at first and then turns off, all the lights are on like
> they're supposed to but the display never turns on, I don't hear any
> regular
> noises coming from the computer. the light for the cd drive goes on during
> this and so does the card reader that i have built in to the laptop and
> then
> after approximately 30 seconds it cycles power and starts all over again..
> the battery is full so it cant be that. i tried placing a ubuntu live cd
> in
> the drive just in case that would affect it and nothing changed..
> eventually
> it just shuts down.. does anyone know what could have caused this, or
> moreover how to fix it?

Curious

Re: Vista laptop won't turn on
Try removing the battery and reinstalling it.
"Sciencekid" <Sciencekid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't know if this is in the right section or not, but I have a HP
>Pavilion
> dv9408nr and Vista premium ( or at least I remember that it wasn't basic,
> so
> I'm assuming it was premium) and last time the computer had shut down, it
> was
> updating something, I don't know what. and i let it update without
> removing
> the power or anything til it shut down. but now when I turn it on, and its
> plugged in, the light for the power is on and the light that shows its
> thinking goes on at first and then turns off, all the lights are on like
> they're supposed to but the display never turns on, I don't hear any
> regular
> noises coming from the computer. the light for the cd drive goes on during
> this and so does the card reader that i have built in to the laptop and
> then
> after approximately 30 seconds it cycles power and starts all over again..
> the battery is full so it cant be that. i tried placing a ubuntu live cd
> in
> the drive just in case that would affect it and nothing changed..
> eventually
> it just shuts down.. does anyone know what could have caused this, or
> moreover how to fix it?

Ferd Burfel

Re: Vista laptop won't turn on

There's a known issue with the motherboards in the dv9000 series.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c01087277

or Google for "HP Warranty Enhancement" for details.

Ferd