DVD Drive Disappeared after I did some Maintenance

Rick Rogers

Re: DVD Drive Disappeared after I did some Maintenance
Hi,

Try the steps outlined here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bagassa" <not@available.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> After I did some cleanup & maintenance, my Vista (Business) computer could
> no longer see my DVD/CD-ROM drive.
>
> The "device manager" utility gives me this error message (even after
> trying to update the driver):
>
> "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate
> driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"
>
> The cleanup & maintenance that I did was: Uninstall a program that
> calibrates the monitor (HP display assistant), updated my Flash player,
> uninstalled a Dell printer driver, and run a virus check.
>
> Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide.
>
> Peter
>

> =============
> Here's what I tried
> =============
> * I looked at all the disabled services in the "services console". I
> don't see how those services can affect the DVD drive. The disabled
> services are: "DNS client", "Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)", "Net TCP
> Port Sharing Service", "Routing and Remote Access", "Virtual Studio 2008
> Remote Debugger".
> * I tried the "system restore" but it had no effect.
> ==============
> System Information
> ==============
> * The drive is an "ATAPI DVD C DH48C2S"
> * I am running Windows Vista Business on an HP workstation

dinesh

Re: DVD Drive Disappeared after I did some Maintenance

go to device manager and un install the dvd drive.

- Click the *Start* button, type *regedit* in the *Start Search* box,
and then click *regedit* in the *Programs* list.
- In the *User Account Control* window, type your password or click
*Continue*.
- In Registry Editor, expand the following registry path:
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Class*
-
- Under *Class*, click *{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}*.
- In the right pane, right-click *UpperFilters*, and then click
*Delete*.
- Click *Yes* when prompted to delete the registry value.
- In the right pane, right-click *LowerFilters*, and then click
*Delete*.
- Click *Yes* when prompted to delete the registry value.
- Quit Registry Editor by clicking *Exit* on the *File* menu.
- Restart the computer.

--
dinesh

Gordon

Re: Problem Solved - Thank you for your help.
> Thank you very much, that registry fix soved the problem.
>
> Peter

To whom are you talking and about what? Please quote the post you reply to
and don't change the subject line.

Thank you.

http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

bagassa

Problem Solved - Thank you for your help.
Thank you very much, that registry fix soved the problem.

Peter

dinesh

Re: DVD Drive Disappeared after I did some Maintenance

Your Welcome bagassa.

--
dinesh

Hope that works ! ! !
Dinesh.
ster

Re: DVD Drive Disappeared after I did some Maintenance

hey peter how are you, i hope fine. Well i have the same problem with my
computer. I followed the the steps you provided for the registry and i
navigate all the to the end. However in the right plane i saw the
"upperfilter" but i did not see the "lowerfilter". i deleted the
upperfilter thinking that maybe when i delete the upperfilter the
lowerfilter will appear but that did not happen. do you have any other
suggestion on helping me fix this problem.

thank you,
ster

--
ster