upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis

misskali

upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis
my c: is a pata drive - i bought a new sata drive and i want to swap them. i
have done a complete computer back up on a different drive but my vista
ultimate disc is an upgrade disc (from xp) and so its not working. any
suggestions?
DL

Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis
I assume you dont have a genuine MS winxp disk?
Forget the complete backup, use the utility supplied on your hd site to copy
the old drive to the new or use a third party imaging app eg Acronis -
Ensure you follow the instructions *explicitly*

"misskali" <misskali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my c: is a pata drive - i bought a new sata drive and i want to swap them.
> have done a complete computer back up on a different drive but my vista
> ultimate disc is an upgrade disc (from xp) and so its not working. any
> suggestions?

misskali

Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade
i do have a genuine xp disc but i dont really want to install xp on my new
drive just to upgrade it a second later - i dont understand how the disc
would help...

"DL" wrote:

> I assume you dont have a genuine MS winxp disk?
> Forget the complete backup, use the utility supplied on your hd site to copy
> the old drive to the new or use a third party imaging app eg Acronis -
> Ensure you follow the instructions *explicitly*
>
> "misskali" <misskali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > my c: is a pata drive - i bought a new sata drive and i want to swap them.
> > have done a complete computer back up on a different drive but my vista
> > ultimate disc is an upgrade disc (from xp) and so its not working. any
> > suggestions?

Colin Barnhorst

>i do have a genuine xp disc but i dont really want to install xp on my new
> drive just to upgrade it a second later - i dont understand how the disc
> would help...

The problem is that if you are using x86 Vista the upgrade product key will
require you to install from within a running copy of Windows. That means
there has to be a running Windows like XP.

You will have windows.old folders to take ownership of and delete when you
are done, but otherwise the result will be just like a clean install.

There is a widely know workaround but it is not supported by MS and you
don't want to get crossways over licensing. I assume the XP license is the
one you are retiring in order to use the Vista upgrade so reinstalling XP
should not make a lot of difference.

Wayne Wastier

Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis
"misskali" <misskali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my c: is a pata drive - i bought a new sata drive and i want to swap them.
> have done a complete computer back up on a different drive but my vista
> ultimate disc is an upgrade disc (from xp) and so its not working. any
> suggestions?

The easiest way to handle this is to install Vista x64 and leave out the
serial when prompted. Then choose the version you have from the list and
finish install. Next, you need to change the serial number by left click on
the START button, then right click on Computer, and left click on Change
Product Key under Windows Activation.

Wayne

Wayne Wastier

"Wayne Wastier" <hww1955SPAM@NOmsn.com> wrote in message
> "misskali" <misskali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> my c: is a pata drive - i bought a new sata drive and i want to swap
>> them. i
>> have done a complete computer back up on a different drive but my vista
>> ultimate disc is an upgrade disc (from xp) and so its not working. any
>> suggestions?

> The easiest way to handle this is to install Vista x64 and leave out the
> serial when prompted. Then choose the version you have from the list and
> finish install. Next, you need to change the serial number by left click
> on the START button, then right click on Computer, and left click on
> Change Product Key under Windows Activation.
>
> Wayne

P.S. I left out that you need to boot from the VISTA DVD.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis
"Wayne Wastier" <hww1955SPAM@NOmsn.com> wrote in message

> The easiest way to handle this is to install Vista x64 and leave out the
> serial when prompted. Then choose the version you have from the list and
> finish install. Next, you need to change the serial number by left click
> on the START button, then right click on Computer, and left click on
> Change Product Key under Windows Activation.
>
> Wayne

He cannot do that. Change Product Key will not work unless a product key
has previously been entered.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis
"Wayne Wastier" <hww1955SPAM@NOmsn.com> wrote in message
> "misskali" <misskali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> The easiest way to handle this is to install Vista x64 and leave out the
> serial when prompted. Then choose the version you have from the list and
> finish install. Next, you need to change the serial number by left click
> on the START button, then right click on Computer, and left click on
> Change Product Key under Windows Activation.
>
> Wayne

Also, when he installs without a product key a full edition is installed.
He does not have a full edition product key.

He enters the product key by starting the activation process. The
activation wizard asks for a product key. He is using an upgrade product
key and when he enters it he will receive a message that the product key
entered cannot be used with the product installed. He would then have to
reinstall using the upgrade pk.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade
Correction:

I just saw the "64bit" in the subject line.

You must reinstall XP so that when you boot with the 64bit dvd and enter the
upgrade product key Vista x64 Setup will find an existing Windows eligible
for upgrade to Vista. It scans quickly after which you will no longer need
the XP installation and can either perform a Custom install or you can use
the disk tools to delete the XP partition and create a new one and then do
the custom install. I recommend the latter.

The workaround referred to by Wayne is a 32bit workaround because of the
different way Vista x86 Setup works from the x64 version. The problem Wayne
is aware of does not exist in Vista x64 upgrade scenarios.

Wayne Wastier

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp