Transferring Disk Space

Sean

Transferring Disk Space
Can anyone tell me how I would "transfer" disk space from my partioned D
drive to C drive? Just tp try, I've already "unallocated" 1G, and now have no
clue what to do with it - lol (I did not request the drive be partioned, and
now apparently I'm stuck with it). HEEELP!!!
Smithsonian

Re: Transferring Disk Space
Win key+r
type diskpart
If you are prompted to run this program run it

To find your volume use
list volume

then when you find the one you want to add space to type:
select volume <#>

then type:
extend SIZE=N

Where N is is the number of MB
1024mb = 1gb (just a note)

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how I would "transfer" disk space from my partioned D
> drive to C drive? Just tp try, I've already "unallocated" 1G, and now have
> no
> clue what to do with it - lol (I did not request the drive be partioned,
> and
> now apparently I'm stuck with it). HEEELP!!!

John Barnett MVP

Re: Transferring Disk Space
Smithsonian, by the contents of Sean's post I think 'diskpart' would be far
to complex for him to safely use. Assuming the 'free space' is right next to
the C: drive he would do better using the 'extend' option from disk
management.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Smithsonian" <irc_smithsonian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Win key+r
> type diskpart
> If you are prompted to run this program run it
>
> To find your volume use
> list volume
>
> then when you find the one you want to add space to type:
> select volume <#>
>
> then type:
> extend SIZE=N
>
> Where N is is the number of MB
> 1024mb = 1gb (just a note)
>
> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone tell me how I would "transfer" disk space from my partioned D
>> drive to C drive? Just tp try, I've already "unallocated" 1G, and now
>> have no
>> clue what to do with it - lol (I did not request the drive be partioned,
>> and
>> now apparently I'm stuck with it). HEEELP!!!

John Barnett MVP

Re: Transferring Disk Space
Sean you would probably be better using the Extend option (assuming the free
space is right next to the C: partition) from within disk management
(control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management)

Perhaps this link will give you a little more help:
http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/19/h...nd-and-shrink/

Alternatively you can extend the partition by using the Windows Vista DVD
(boxed version - not recovery disk) by following the instructions on my
website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/extend_..._vista_dvd.htm

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how I would "transfer" disk space from my partioned D
> drive to C drive? Just tp try, I've already "unallocated" 1G, and now have
> no
> clue what to do with it - lol (I did not request the drive be partioned,
> and
> now apparently I'm stuck with it). HEEELP!!!

Gordon

Re: Transferring Disk Space
"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how I would "transfer" disk space from my partioned D
> drive to C drive? Just tp try, I've already "unallocated" 1G, and now have
> no
> clue what to do with it - lol (I did not request the drive be partioned,
> and
> now apparently I'm stuck with it). HEEELP!!!

before you start, make ABSOLUTELY sure that the D drive is NOT a recovery
partition designed by your Vendor to be used in the event of your needing to
return the machine to factory-gate state.....

Sean

Re: Transferring Disk Space
Thank you John for getting back to me.

I was able to put the unallocated back to where I got it from, but the
"extend" option on the C drive is not an option, only on the D drive. They
allocated 20G for the C drive but I am constantly trying to make sure it
doesn't fill up. I was just hoping to get a bit more space into it.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Sean you would probably be better using the Extend option (assuming the free
> space is right next to the C: partition) from within disk management
> (control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management)
>
> Perhaps this link will give you a little more help:
> http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/19/h...nd-and-shrink/
>
> Alternatively you can extend the partition by using the Windows Vista DVD
> (boxed version - not recovery disk) by following the instructions on my
> website:
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/extend_..._vista_dvd.htm

> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>

> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me how I would "transfer" disk space from my partioned D
> > drive to C drive? Just tp try, I've already "unallocated" 1G, and now have
> > no
> > clue what to do with it - lol (I did not request the drive be partioned,
> > and
> > now apparently I'm stuck with it). HEEELP!!!

John Barnett MVP

Re: Transferring Disk Space
Strangely disk management on Vista can be an utter pain at times; personally
I think it has a will of its own. If partition D: (Unallocated space - in
other words empty) is butted directly up to partition C: then you have
contiguous space available for extending. If there is a partition between C:
and D: the you don't have any free space to extend in to. You can't extend
the partition, in the above scenario, by jumping over an already created
partition.

Because Disk Management has a will of its own, it can sometimes, depending
upon its mood, gray out certain options. When this happens you, sadly,
cannot proceed, using disk management. Another option would be to buy a
third party partitioning application and use it to 'resize' the C: partition
(Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2008 Suite is one such application that I keep by
my side, as is Acronis Disk Director.) There may even be a 'free'
partitioning application that will also do the job. I cannot, however, pass
comment on any free partitioning applications not having actually used them
myself; maybe someone else who has tried any free partitioning applications
would care to give us the benefit of their experience?

That leaves DiskPart as smithsonian suggested. Personally using commands
from the command prompt can be a little intimidating, however, I did find
these instructions which illustrate quite well how to proceed:

http://vistarewired.com/2007/04/07/h...nt-doesnt-work.

Can I stress that you ensure you have backed up any files/folders that are
important to you and that you are fully aware how to return your PC to
factory conditions, via the recovery disk (or partition) supplied by your PC
manufacturer prior to attempting to extend the partition via DiskPart as
once the command is given and Vista undertakes the extension, should
anything go wrong, you may end up with an unbootable PC. If DiskPart cannot
extend the partition, the it will say so and no alterations will be made.

I'm sorry to sound like a 'bringer of doom' but it is better you know the
risks than go blindly ahead and discover them later.

> Thank you John for getting back to me.
>
> I was able to put the unallocated back to where I got it from, but the
> "extend" option on the C drive is not an option, only on the D drive.
> They
> allocated 20G for the C drive but I am constantly trying to make sure it
> doesn't fill up. I was just hoping to get a bit more space into it.
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> Sean you would probably be better using the Extend option (assuming the
>> free
>> space is right next to the C: partition) from within disk management
>> (control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management)
>>
>> Perhaps this link will give you a little more help:
>> http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/19/h...nd-and-shrink/
>>
>> Alternatively you can extend the partition by using the Windows Vista DVD
>> (boxed version - not recovery disk) by following the instructions on my
>> website:
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/extend_..._vista_dvd.htm

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Windows XP Associate Expert
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>

>> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Can anyone tell me how I would "transfer" disk space from my partioned
>> > drive to C drive? Just tp try, I've already "unallocated" 1G, and now
>> > have
>> > no
>> > clue what to do with it - lol (I did not request the drive be
>> > partioned,
>> > and
>> > now apparently I'm stuck with it). HEEELP!!!

Sean

Re: Transferring Disk Space
Again - THANK YOU very much . Unfortunatley D drive is loaded with a ton
o'stuff. So I will look into one of your software ideas.

Thanks again for your time

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >> (boxed version - not recovery disk) by following the instructions on my
> >> website:
> >> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/extend_..._vista_dvd.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Windows XP Associate Expert
> >> Windows Desktop Experience
> >>
> >> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >>
> >> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> >> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> >> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> >> for
> >> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> >> the
> >> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this

that doesnt always work for some reason. Usually when i try to extend my C:
it disables extend option.
"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Smithsonian, by the contents of Sean's post I think 'diskpart' would be
> far to complex for him to safely use. Assuming the 'free space' is right
> next to the C: drive he would do better using the 'extend' option from
> disk management.

> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> the
> mail/post..
>

> "Smithsonian" <irc_smithsonian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Win key+r
>> type diskpart
>> If you are prompted to run this program run it
>>
>> To find your volume use
>> list volume
>>
>> then when you find the one you want to add space to type:
>> select volume <#>
>>
>> then type:
>> extend SIZE=N
>>
>> Where N is is the number of MB
>> 1024mb = 1gb (just a note)
>>
>> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone tell me how I would "transfer" disk space from my partioned D
>>> drive to C drive? Just tp try, I've already "unallocated" 1G, and now
>>> have no
>>> clue what to do with it - lol (I did not request the drive be partioned,
>>> and
>>> now apparently I'm stuck with it). HEEELP!!!

Smithsonian

Re: Transferring Disk Space
I think this is a alternate way to do it without diskpart.

Create a small partition(any letter)
format(quick)
then try to add space/ It worked for me.

I think mmc.exe disk management tool really does have a mind of its own.