Dynamic disk status invalid.

Berben Peter

Dynamic disk status invalid.
Have a problem...

Before installing Vista, I tought of making a backup on a second internal
hard disk which a bought and installed on the original XP professional
machine, I found myself to be very smart doing this.
Unfortunatly now that Vista is installed on this machine the disk is not
accessible. disk manager says "dynamic disk status invalid"? What can/should
I do to gain control over this disk again? I can convert it to a standard
disk (only option available in disk manager) beause then I will loos the
information it contains.

Thanks in advance.

Peter
Kerry Brown

Re: Dynamic disk status invalid.
"Berben Peter" <BerbenPeter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have a problem...
>
> Before installing Vista, I tought of making a backup on a second internal
> hard disk which a bought and installed on the original XP professional
> machine, I found myself to be very smart doing this.
> Unfortunatly now that Vista is installed on this machine the disk is not
> accessible. disk manager says "dynamic disk status invalid"? What
> can/should
> I do to gain control over this disk again? I can convert it to a standard
> disk (only option available in disk manager) beause then I will loos the
> information it contains.
>
> Thanks in advance.

What version of Vista do you have? Any version of Windows with Home in the
name cannot access dynamic disks. If you have a Home version you'd have to
connect the drive to a computer that has an appropriate version of Windows
then use the Import a foreign disk wizard to access the files.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Berben Peter

Re: Dynamic disk status invalid.
Hello Kerry,

What your telling seams to make sense...installed vista "home premium".
I'll take the disk out and install it in an other computer running
appropriate version of Windows . I'll let you know if this worked.

Many thanks!
Peter

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Berben Peter" <BerbenPeter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have a problem...
> >
> > Before installing Vista, I tought of making a backup on a second internal
> > hard disk which a bought and installed on the original XP professional
> > machine, I found myself to be very smart doing this.
> > Unfortunatly now that Vista is installed on this machine the disk is not
> > accessible. disk manager says "dynamic disk status invalid"? What
> > can/should
> > I do to gain control over this disk again? I can convert it to a standard
> > disk (only option available in disk manager) beause then I will loos the
> > information it contains.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> What version of Vista do you have? Any version of Windows with Home in the
> name cannot access dynamic disks. If you have a Home version you'd have to
> connect the drive to a computer that has an appropriate version of Windows
> then use the Import a foreign disk wizard to access the files.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Kerry Brown

Re: Dynamic disk status invalid.
You're welcome.

--

> Hello Kerry,
>
> What your telling seams to make sense...installed vista "home premium".
> I'll take the disk out and install it in an other computer running
> appropriate version of Windows . I'll let you know if this worked.
>
> Many thanks!
> Peter
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "Berben Peter" <BerbenPeter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Have a problem...
>> >
>> > Before installing Vista, I tought of making a backup on a second
>> > internal
>> > hard disk which a bought and installed on the original XP professional
>> > machine, I found myself to be very smart doing this.
>> > Unfortunatly now that Vista is installed on this machine the disk is
>> > not
>> > accessible. disk manager says "dynamic disk status invalid"? What
>> > can/should
>> > I do to gain control over this disk again? I can convert it to a
>> > standard
>> > disk (only option available in disk manager) beause then I will loos
>> > the
>> > information it contains.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >

>> What version of Vista do you have? Any version of Windows with Home in
>> the
>> name cannot access dynamic disks. If you have a Home version you'd have
>> connect the drive to a computer that has an appropriate version of
>> Windows
>> then use the Import a foreign disk wizard to access the files.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Berben Peter

Re: Dynamic disk status invalid.
Hello Kerry,

You'r "a god" it worked instantly and I was able to save the families
pictures from the disk. Afterwards made the disk static and it now works also
on the Vista's basic edition.

Again many thanks.

Peter

> Hello Kerry,
>
> You'r "a god" it worked instantly and I was able to save the families
> pictures from the disk. Afterwards made the disk static and it now works
> also
> on the Vista's basic edition.
>
> Again many thanks.
>
> Peter
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> You're welcome.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>
>> "Berben Peter" <BerbenPeter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello Kerry,
>> >
>> > What your telling seams to make sense...installed vista "home premium".
>> > I'll take the disk out and install it in an other computer running
>> > appropriate version of Windows . I'll let you know if this worked.
>> >
>> > Many thanks!
>> > Peter

mikloslegrady

Re: Dynamic disk status invalid.

Hi,

Well, I don't have a second PC computer,
so what could I do to get this drive recognized?

Mik

--
mikloslegrady
undisclosed

Re: Dynamic disk status invalid.

For Dynamic Disk Invalid, typecally your operating system can't support
for dynamic disk. such as WinXP Home Edition, Win7 Home Edition will
show a dynamic invalid disk in disk management. It seems that Dynamic
Disk Converter 3.0 can revert an dynamic unreadable disk and invalid
dynamic disk back to basic disk. I tested the program on VMware fine.

--
larysee