If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed

Brandon W

If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed
I want to update some of the hardware in my computer and my friend said that
if you get OEM Vista you are not alound to update your hardware unless you
buy another copy of vista... and that sounds insane

is this true?
Bob Knowlden

Re: If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed
No, you're not screwed.

It's not an official Microsoft article, but I believe that it is correct.

The short version: you can upgrade anything except the motherboard.
Apparently you can even do upgrades to the extent that would require Vista
to be activated again.You may be able to replace the motherboard (with a
different model) if it dies, but that would be at the discretion of
Microsoft.

I imagine that you could illicitly transfer an OEM license to a new system,
if you were a competent liar.

Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"Brandon W" <Brandon W@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to update some of the hardware in my computer and my friend said
>that
> if you get OEM Vista you are not alound to update your hardware unless you
> buy another copy of vista... and that sounds insane
>
> is this true?

Gordon

Re: If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed
"Brandon W" <Brandon W@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to update some of the hardware in my computer and my friend said
>that
> if you get OEM Vista you are not alound to update your hardware unless you
> buy another copy of vista... and that sounds insane
>
> is this true?

No of course it's not.....

Gordon

"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
> No, you're not screwed.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html
>
> It's not an official Microsoft article, but I believe that it is correct.
>
> The short version: you can upgrade anything except the motherboard.

Not true. The EULA that the user agrees to makes NO mention of the
motherboard. All it says is "New Computer" and then singularly fails to
define what a "new computer" is....

> Apparently you can even do upgrades to the extent that would require Vista
> to be activated again.You may be able to replace the motherboard (with a
> different model) if it dies, but that would be at the discretion of
> Microsoft.

No, at the discretion of the System Builder.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed
The Consumer_OEM EULA does not mention "computer." It uses the term
"device."

"2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. The software license is permanently
assigned to the device with which you acquired the software. That device is
the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a
separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that
device at one time. You may not use the software on any other device."

In any event, the EULA does not address the issue of whether a component or
particular set of components constitute a new computer if changed because it
is an activation issue and not a licensing issue.

"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> No, you're not screwed.
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html
>>
>> It's not an official Microsoft article, but I believe that it is correct.
>>
>> The short version: you can upgrade anything except the motherboard.

> Not true. The EULA that the user agrees to makes NO mention of the
> motherboard. All it says is "New Computer" and then singularly fails to
> define what a "new computer" is....
>
>> Apparently you can even do upgrades to the extent that would require
>> Vista to be activated again.You may be able to replace the motherboard
>> (with a different model) if it dies, but that would be at the discretion
>> of Microsoft.

> No, at the discretion of the System Builder.

Bistey Csaba

Re: If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed
Well it mentions device, but a device that "you may install the software
to" and the same device that "you may use a software on".

If we look that strict that means if you acquired OEM Vista with a piece
of hardware (like a cable ) there is no way installing/using it
without violating EULA.
(Well unless your acquired with a harddrive and it's internal DSP can
run it. (most likely not ))

Csaba

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> The Consumer_OEM EULA does not mention "computer." It uses the term
> "device."
>
> "2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. The software license is permanently
> assigned to the device with which you acquired the software. That
> device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is
> considered to be a separate device.
> a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
> licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on
> that device at one time. You may not use the software on any other
> device."
>
> In any event, the EULA does not address the issue of whether a component
> or particular set of components constitute a new computer if changed
> because it is an activation issue and not a licensing issue.
>
> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> No, you're not screwed.
>>>
>>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html
>>>
>>> It's not an official Microsoft article, but I believe that it is
>>> correct.
>>>
>>> The short version: you can upgrade anything except the motherboard.

>> Not true. The EULA that the user agrees to makes NO mention of the
>> motherboard. All it says is "New Computer" and then singularly fails
>> to define what a "new computer" is....
>>
>>> Apparently you can even do upgrades to the extent that would require
>>> Vista to be activated again.You may be able to replace the
>>> motherboard (with a different model) if it dies, but that would be at
>>> the discretion of Microsoft.

>> No, at the discretion of the System Builder.

Bender

Re: If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed
My research a few months ago found that Microsoft considers the mother board
to the the heart of the computer and changing the mother board constitutes a
new computer.

"Bistey Csaba" <bcsaba@balmazujvaros.hu> wrote in message
> Well it mentions device, but a device that "you may install the software
> to" and the same device that "you may use a software on".
>
> If we look that strict that means if you acquired OEM Vista with a piece
> of hardware (like a cable ) there is no way installing/using it without
> violating EULA.
> (Well unless your acquired with a harddrive and it's internal DSP can run
> it. (most likely not ))
>
> Csaba
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> The Consumer_OEM EULA does not mention "computer." It uses the term
>> "device."
>>
>> "2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. The software license is permanently
>> assigned to the device with which you acquired the software. That device
>> is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to
>> be a separate device.
>> a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
>> licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on
>> that device at one time. You may not use the software on any other
>> device."
>>
>> In any event, the EULA does not address the issue of whether a component
>> or particular set of components constitute a new computer if changed
>> because it is an activation issue and not a licensing issue.
>>
>> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Not true. The EULA that the user agrees to makes NO mention of the
>>> motherboard. All it says is "New Computer" and then singularly fails to
>>> define what a "new computer" is....

>>> No, at the discretion of the System Builder.

Steve Thackery

Re: If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed
> No of course it's not.....

Don't dismiss it so glibly. In fact there is some truth in the issue: a
change big enough to constitute a 'new device' (computer) would exceed the
bounds of the EULA.

The complicated bit is what is meant by a "big enough change". I don't
think this has been tested in court, but I would imagine Microsoft would
balk at an upgraded motherboard.

SteveT

Nogginsaked

Re: If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed
I changed a video card on a system running a shrink wrapped, store bought
version of Vista.
I had to call Microsoft support in India and get a new activation code.
Microsoft deserves the success it has had with Vista.

Bistey Csaba

Re: If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed
Well EULA written by and for lawyers after all.

Here is a nice example:

1. Device Connections. You may allow up to 5 other devices to connect
to the software installed on the licensed device to use File Services,
Print Services, Internet Information Services and Internet Connection
Sharing and Telephony Services. However, you may not exceed a total of
5 connections at one time.

A question:

It is really users task to count incomming connections (via portscanner)
and limit at 5 established connection (for the following services up)
(in common sense this would be the task of OS (in this case Windows
should not lock the services in 5 connection?)).

P.S.: I know the question is looks stupid but you will see where would i
love to point to.

Csaba