Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

External USB hub not working

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2008
Marcus
 

Posts: n/a
External USB hub not working
I have some troubles with my new USB 2 "high speed" hub

( http://tinyurl.com/5ql9xn )

that is, once installed I was getting some errors about removing connected
devices 'cause I could get better performance on a USB 2 port....

huh? How could it be? It is a USB 2 hub!

So I've noticed that I was getting some errors (in the system tray) like:

"Device driver was not succesfully installed" and in the list: "USB 2.0
Hub" "Searching preconfigure d driver folders"

So I've read on the package (unknown chines brand) that the hub is
compatible with all but Vista!

What can I do?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2008
Nonny
 

Posts: n/a
Re: External USB hub not working
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 01:06:29 +0200, "Marcus"
<marcus@idontwant.spam.org> wrote:

>I have some troubles with my new USB 2 "high speed" hub
>
> ( http://tinyurl.com/5ql9xn )
>
>that is, once installed I was getting some errors about removing connected
>devices 'cause I could get better performance on a USB 2 port....
>
>huh? How could it be? It is a USB 2 hub!
>
>So I've noticed that I was getting some errors (in the system tray) like:
>
> "Device driver was not succesfully installed" and in the list: "USB 2.0
>Hub" "Searching preconfigure d driver folders"
>
>So I've read on the package (unknown chines brand) that the hub is
>compatible with all but Vista!
>
>What can I do?


If you had read the complete description (click to read more details),
you would have seen that there was no mention of it being
Vista-compatible.

Put it in the little round file under your desk and buy a new one that
IS Vista-compatible.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2008
John
 

Posts: n/a
Re: External USB hub not working
"Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:th3u44tbof682ct8or3nhk6fr4ld0gmu4a@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 01:06:29 +0200, "Marcus"
> <marcus@idontwant.spam.org> wrote:
>
>>I have some troubles with my new USB 2 "high speed" hub
>>
>> ( http://tinyurl.com/5ql9xn )
>>
>>that is, once installed I was getting some errors about removing connected
>>devices 'cause I could get better performance on a USB 2 port....
>>
>>huh? How could it be? It is a USB 2 hub!
>>
>>So I've noticed that I was getting some errors (in the system tray) like:
>>
>> "Device driver was not succesfully installed" and in the list: "USB 2.0
>>Hub" "Searching preconfigure d driver folders"
>>
>>So I've read on the package (unknown chines brand) that the hub is
>>compatible with all but Vista!
>>
>>What can I do?

>
> If you had read the complete description (click to read more details),
> you would have seen that there was no mention of it being
> Vista-compatible.
>
> Put it in the little round file under your desk and buy a new one that
> IS Vista-compatible.



There are some honest manuals that say for best results, avoid USB hubs and
connect directly to a USB port on the computer.

I have read that USB has some quirks that make it not fast enough for many
new devices and that USB is not the connection of choice in new systems;
however, eSata seems to have some problems in Vista (see my previous post to
a thread about eSata drives).

Wikipedia has some interesting stuff about USB.

John

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2008
Marcus
 

Posts: n/a
Re: External USB hub not working
> I have read that USB has some quirks that make it not fast enough for many
> new devices and that USB is not the connection of choice in new systems;
> however, eSata seems to have some problems in Vista (see my previous post
> to a thread about eSata drives).
>
> Wikipedia has some interesting stuff about USB.
>
> John
>



The strange fact is that if the any hub is really USB compliant, it should
simply work, regardless being used on Vista, Mac OSX or Linux.

I'm asking my self if there may be some configuration tweak to adjust:
- the hub is "working" (slow but working)
- it acts like if not being USB 2, while it really is
- it is shown like having 4 ports instead of 7.....

Any hint?

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2008
Colin Barnhorst
 

Posts: n/a
Re: External USB hub not working
Nevertheless, many hubs that work fine with XP do not do so with Vista. In
fact, I had one older hub that blue-screened Vista. Get a Vista-compatible
hub.

There is a limit on how many devices a system can handle (there is only so
much power available to the usb bus to support data transfers) and it is not
the case that you can successfully connect devices to all available ports
simultaneously on many computers. I have seen reports of a fouth device
causing a usb hard drive to disappear from Computer.

"Marcus" <marcus@idontwant.spam.org> wrote in message
news:G9idnRKveK2Pc9LVnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@supernews.co m...
>> I have read that USB has some quirks that make it not fast enough for
>> many new devices and that USB is not the connection of choice in new
>> systems; however, eSata seems to have some problems in Vista (see my
>> previous post to a thread about eSata drives).
>>
>> Wikipedia has some interesting stuff about USB.
>>
>> John
>>

>
>
> The strange fact is that if the any hub is really USB compliant, it should
> simply work, regardless being used on Vista, Mac OSX or Linux.
>
> I'm asking my self if there may be some configuration tweak to adjust:
> - the hub is "working" (slow but working)
> - it acts like if not being USB 2, while it really is
> - it is shown like having 4 ports instead of 7.....
>
> Any hint?


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screensaver on external monitor not working =?Utf-8?B?R09XWU8=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 02-06-2009 02:16
External Drive quite working Rainy microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 2 05-23-2008 14:20
working with an external monitor WorkingftL microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 0 12-04-2007 14:22
External USB DVD and USB camera not working Eric Rickin microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 10-14-2007 13:41
External Hard-drive not working systemofadylan microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 06-27-2007 13:24




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:59.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120