Heat

Jath

Heat

Well right now I am running two CPU temperature finding programs, one
came with my motherboard(PC Probe II), and the other is Core Temp(can
search 'Core Temp' on google and you will find it.) Right now PC Probe
II is saying that my CPU's(or just CPU, only one thing of it) is running
at 76 degrees Celsius. I know this is bad in itself so I am going to
change the fan from stock to another. Now, one thing I am really
wondering is Core Temp says that my CPU's temperature, two of them are
around 95 degrees Celsius and the other 2 are around 87 and 83. Which
one should I believe? If I believe my motherboards program, I got to get
it down a bit more, but if I believe Core Temp, I most likely got to get
a liquid cooling system or something.

By the way, this is while running a game. At Idle Core Temp says the
temp is around 70 degrees Celsius and I'm not sure about my
motherboards.

--
Jath
PvdG42

Re: Heat
"Jath" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Well right now I am running two CPU temperature finding programs, one
> came with my motherboard(PC Probe II), and the other is Core Temp(can
> search 'Core Temp' on google and you will find it.) Right now PC Probe
> II is saying that my CPU's(or just CPU, only one thing of it) is running
> at 76 degrees Celsius. I know this is bad in itself so I am going to
> change the fan from stock to another. Now, one thing I am really
> wondering is Core Temp says that my CPU's temperature, two of them are
> around 95 degrees Celsius and the other 2 are around 87 and 83. Which
> one should I believe? If I believe my motherboards program, I got to get
> it down a bit more, but if I believe Core Temp, I most likely got to get
> a liquid cooling system or something.
>
> By the way, this is while running a game. At Idle Core Temp says the
> temp is around 70 degrees Celsius and I'm not sure about my
> motherboards.
>

> --
> Jath

Regardless of which readings are correct, your CPU temperature is too high.
Addressing heat issues requires a thorough analysis, and to get help, you'll
need to provide a *lot* more information. For example:

Hardware details? (CPU, case, # and types of drives, fan setup, etc.)
Room, case and CPU temperatures at idle and under full load. There are many
possible reasons why your CPU temperature is too high, and changing your HSF
may not help if the rest of your setup is flawed.

Jath

Re: Heat

I actually figured out how to decrease it greatly. I had been using the
stock fan that came with the CPU, and I switched it out with one I had
bought with it(not knowing it came with a stock) and it decreased the
temperatures to idle, 54 degrees Celsius for two, 47-49 for the other
two. At load, it's at around 60 degrees Celsius.

> I actually figured out how to decrease it greatly. I had been using the
> stock fan that came with the CPU, and I switched it out with one I had
> bought with it(not knowing it came with a stock) and it decreased the
> temperatures to idle, 54 degrees Celsius for two, 47-49 for the other
> two. At load, it's at around 60 degrees Celsius.
>

> --
> Jath

Looks like you're in the safe range, now, indicating that your case airflow,
etc. is OK.
Out of curiosity, what CPU do you have? I'd be interested to know who is
supplying such poor HSF's with their CPU's.

Jath

Re: Heat

It's a Core 2 Quad from Intel, 2.4 GHz.

--
Jath
peter

Re: Heat
You sure you put that thing together right???
peeled off the plastic before applying Thermal Compound in a nice thin even
layer??
Clamped it down good and proper...opposite ends...bit at a time???

Maybe you could give us a few more details..Case? Motherboard? Fans? how
many and where?
How hot is it where you live??

peter

> It's a Core 2 Quad from Intel, 2.4 GHz.
>

> --
> Jath

Jath

Re: Heat

Case is a old one, not sure what kind but it has 2 fans, one on the side
and one in the back. About 120mm. Motherboard is a P5K Deluxe. The past
few days it has been quite hot, going up to about 100 degrees. And yes,
except for my Video Card failing on me and causing my computer to freeze
constantly, everything I did runs very well now. Good layer of Arctic
Silver 5.

--
Jath
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Heat
You need a thermally advantaged case or something similar. You have
insufficient cooling and could easily take advantage of four to five 80mm
fans.

> Case is a old one, not sure what kind but it has 2 fans, one on the side
> and one in the back. About 120mm. Motherboard is a P5K Deluxe. The past
> few days it has been quite hot, going up to about 100 degrees. And yes,
> except for my Video Card failing on me and causing my computer to freeze
> constantly, everything I did runs very well now. Good layer of Arctic
> Silver 5.
>

> --
> Jath

Nonny

Re: Heat
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:30:17 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
<c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote:

>You need a thermally advantaged case or something similar.

Does that mean that the OP's current case is "thermally challenged" or
is the correct term "thermally disadvantaged"?

I like to keep up with the current/correct lingo.

>You have
>insufficient cooling and could easily take advantage of four to five 80mm
>fans.
>
>"Jath" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Case is a old one, not sure what kind but it has 2 fans, one on the side
>> and one in the back. About 120mm. Motherboard is a P5K Deluxe. The past
>> few days it has been quite hot, going up to about 100 degrees. And yes,
>> except for my Video Card failing on me and causing my computer to freeze
>> constantly, everything I did runs very well now. Good layer of Arctic
>> Silver 5.
>>

>> --
>> Jath

Trevor

Re: Heat
"Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:30:17 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
> <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>You need a thermally advantaged case or something similar.

> Does that mean that the OP's current case is "thermally challenged" or
> is the correct term "thermally disadvantaged"?
>
> I like to keep up with the current/correct lingo.

Had the same heating problem with my Q6600 CPU which also operated between
70-72 celcius. Supplier changed it for a new one. Now running in early 40
celcius. Using fan that came iwth the CPU on a Gigabyte mobo and Vista
Ultimate SP1.

Trevor