Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~

Abiosis

Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~

Hi,I'm thinking about upgrade to 8GB RAM for my system (680i SLI Mobo)
with VUx64....

'Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
(PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227289)

Can my mobo handle these 8GB ram with 1066?

please enlighten,thanks~~~

--
Abiosis

Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX6850 (8MB,3.67GHz overclocked)
Windows Vista® Ultimate 64-Bit SP1
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
500GB-Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s,16MB Cache
Western Digital 750GB External Hard Drive
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz-4 DIMMs
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer
Logitech® Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround
Logitech® MX™ Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
Dell UltraSharp™ 2707WFP LCD
PSU:1,000W
3DMark Vantage:6,023
3DMark06 Professional :12,950(1920X1200)
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~
All you have said about the existing RAM is its speed.... to get the full
use of the 8gb, ALL FOUR sticks should be the same. Don't mix and match
RAM, it's definitely not recommended.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Abiosis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,I'm thinking about upgrade to 8GB RAM for my system (680i SLI Mobo)
> with VUx64....
>
> 'Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
> (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory'
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227289)
>
> Can my mobo handle these 8GB ram with 1066?
>
> please enlighten,thanks~~~
>

> --
> Abiosis
>
> Intel® CoreT 2 Extreme QX6850 (8MB,3.67GHz overclocked)
> Windows Vista® Ultimate 64-Bit SP1
> nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
> 500GB-Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s,16MB Cache
> Western Digital 750GB External Hard Drive
> 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz-4 DIMMs
> Sound Blaster® X-FiT XtremeGamer
> Logitech® Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround
> Logitech® MXT Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
> Dell UltraSharpT 2707WFP LCD
> PSU:1,000W
> 3DMark Vantage:6,023
> 3DMark06 Professional :12,950(1920X1200)

Curious

Re: Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~
Abiosis,
Vista requires that all Ram run at the same speed so you will not be able to
run a matched pair of 1066 Ram at 1066 speed along with your currently
installed matched pair of 800 Ram. You will have to run the 1066 ram at
800.
"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> All you have said about the existing RAM is its speed.... to get the full
> use of the 8gb, ALL FOUR sticks should be the same. Don't mix and match
> RAM, it's definitely not recommended.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Abiosis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi,I'm thinking about upgrade to 8GB RAM for my system (680i SLI Mobo)
>> with VUx64....
>>
>> 'Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
>> (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory'
>> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227289)
>>
>> Can my mobo handle these 8GB ram with 1066?
>>
>> please enlighten,thanks~~~
>>

>> --
>> Abiosis
>>
>> Intel® CoreT 2 Extreme QX6850 (8MB,3.67GHz overclocked)
>> Windows Vista® Ultimate 64-Bit SP1
>> nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
>> 500GB-Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s,16MB Cache
>> Western Digital 750GB External Hard Drive
>> 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz-4 DIMMs
>> Sound Blaster® X-FiT XtremeGamer
>> Logitech® Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround
>> Logitech® MXT Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
>> Dell UltraSharpT 2707WFP LCD
>> PSU:1,000W
>> 3DMark Vantage:6,023
>> 3DMark06 Professional :12,950(1920X1200)

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~
In addition to the other comments, you need to be aware that just because
the mobo specs say that it supports 8GB of ram and that it supports 1066 ram
does NOT mean that it will support 8GB of 1066 ram.

It may only support 8GB of 800 or 667 ram but 4GB of 1066. It is all too
frequent a problem with current mobos. It almost certainly won't work with
stock settings. The best thing to do is get on the mobo mfg's user forum
and start asking questions and reading threads. Also, look for the test
reports on the mfg's website so you can see what configurations have been
tested for each brand of ram.

If you are going for a fully populated board with 2x1GB sticks, then you are
not going to be able to do it at the top rated speed supported by the mobo.
The current memory controller drivers and BIOS aren't cutting it on consumer
mobos in that configuration.

"Abiosis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,I'm thinking about upgrade to 8GB RAM for my system (680i SLI Mobo)
> with VUx64....
>
> 'Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
> (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory'
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227289)
>
> Can my mobo handle these 8GB ram with 1066?
>
> please enlighten,thanks~~~
>

> --
> Abiosis
>
> Intel® CoreT 2 Extreme QX6850 (8MB,3.67GHz overclocked)
> Windows Vista® Ultimate 64-Bit SP1
> nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
> 500GB-Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s,16MB Cache
> Western Digital 750GB External Hard Drive
> 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz-4 DIMMs
> Sound Blaster® X-FiT XtremeGamer
> Logitech® Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround
> Logitech® MXT Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
> Dell UltraSharpT 2707WFP LCD
> PSU:1,000W
> 3DMark Vantage:6,023
> 3DMark06 Professional :12,950(1920X1200)

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~
If you are using an EVGA board, then take a look at the forum at
http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=57179
Ask questions. Unless you see confirmation that the brand you want works in
the configuration you are considering, keep your money in your pocket.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In addition to the other comments, you need to be aware that just because
> the mobo specs say that it supports 8GB of ram and that it supports 1066
> ram does NOT mean that it will support 8GB of 1066 ram.
>
> It may only support 8GB of 800 or 667 ram but 4GB of 1066. It is all too
> frequent a problem with current mobos. It almost certainly won't work
> with stock settings. The best thing to do is get on the mobo mfg's user
> forum and start asking questions and reading threads. Also, look for the
> test reports on the mfg's website so you can see what configurations have
> been tested for each brand of ram.
>
> If you are going for a fully populated board with 2x1GB sticks, then you
> are not going to be able to do it at the top rated speed supported by the
> mobo. The current memory controller drivers and BIOS aren't cutting it on
> consumer mobos in that configuration.
>
> "Abiosis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi,I'm thinking about upgrade to 8GB RAM for my system (680i SLI Mobo)
>> with VUx64....
>>
>> 'Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
>> (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory'
>> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227289)
>>
>> Can my mobo handle these 8GB ram with 1066?
>>
>> please enlighten,thanks~~~
>>

>> --
>> Abiosis
>>
>> Intel® CoreT 2 Extreme QX6850 (8MB,3.67GHz overclocked)
>> Windows Vista® Ultimate 64-Bit SP1
>> nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
>> 500GB-Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s,16MB Cache
>> Western Digital 750GB External Hard Drive
>> 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz-4 DIMMs
>> Sound Blaster® X-FiT XtremeGamer
>> Logitech® Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround
>> Logitech® MXT Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
>> Dell UltraSharpT 2707WFP LCD
>> PSU:1,000W
>> 3DMark Vantage:6,023
>> 3DMark06 Professional :12,950(1920X1200)

Kerry Brown

Re: Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~
"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In addition to the other comments, you need to be aware that just because
> the mobo specs say that it supports 8GB of ram and that it supports 1066
> ram does NOT mean that it will support 8GB of 1066 ram.
>
> It may only support 8GB of 800 or 667 ram but 4GB of 1066. It is all too
> frequent a problem with current mobos. It almost certainly won't work
> with stock settings. The best thing to do is get on the mobo mfg's user
> forum and start asking questions and reading threads. Also, look for the
> test reports on the mfg's website so you can see what configurations have
> been tested for each brand of ram.
>
> If you are going for a fully populated board with 2x1GB sticks, then you
> are not going to be able to do it at the top rated speed supported by the
> mobo. The current memory controller drivers and BIOS aren't cutting it on
> consumer mobos in that configuration.

Some motherboards do work properly. I agree that a lot don't, but to say
they all don't is an over generalization. I have a rock steady system using
a Gigabyte M61P-S3 motherboard using four 2GB DDR2 800 DIMMS (8GB, fastest
supported speed). The key seems to be to use high quality matched RAM for
all four sticks and use a motherboard/chipset that supports more RAM than
you are using. The M61P-S3 supports up to 16 GB.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~
It is still very much a general problem with consumer mobos, the vast
majority of which do not support more than 8GB. Your mobo, of course, is no
longer a current product, but I'm sure that the model that superceded yours
would perform equally as well.

The issues with DDR3 appear to be worse right now. The placement of the
slots and southbridge must be an engineering nightmare at the increasing
frequencies.

> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> In addition to the other comments, you need to be aware that just because
>> the mobo specs say that it supports 8GB of ram and that it supports 1066
>> ram does NOT mean that it will support 8GB of 1066 ram.
>>
>> It may only support 8GB of 800 or 667 ram but 4GB of 1066. It is all too
>> frequent a problem with current mobos. It almost certainly won't work
>> with stock settings. The best thing to do is get on the mobo mfg's user
>> forum and start asking questions and reading threads. Also, look for the
>> test reports on the mfg's website so you can see what configurations have
>> been tested for each brand of ram.
>>
>> If you are going for a fully populated board with 2x1GB sticks, then you
>> are not going to be able to do it at the top rated speed supported by the
>> mobo. The current memory controller drivers and BIOS aren't cutting it on
>> consumer mobos in that configuration.

> Some motherboards do work properly. I agree that a lot don't, but to say
> they all don't is an over generalization. I have a rock steady system
> using a Gigabyte M61P-S3 motherboard using four 2GB DDR2 800 DIMMS (8GB,
> fastest supported speed). The key seems to be to use high quality matched
> RAM for all four sticks and use a motherboard/chipset that supports more
> RAM than you are using. The M61P-S3 supports up to 16 GB.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Kerry Brown

Re: Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~
I agree it's a problem. I think the problem is more with consumer
expectation than a design flaw. That motherboard was just one example. I
have built quite a few high end computers with > 4GB lately. In all cases I
have been able to run them at their rated RAM speed. The key is using all
matched RAM that meets the motherboard manufacturer's specs exactly and
using a decent motherboard. The motherboard doesn't have to be high end.
Most mid-range boards from the top tier manufacturers work fine. Where
people run into problems is using mismatched RAM and/or RAM that doesn't
meet the motherboard specs. When upgrading RAM it's no longer possible to
simply add more DIMMs. The old DIMMs need to be removed and all new RAM
installed, unless you can somehow find matching RAM for the old DIMMs. This
is almost impossible unless the RAM is purchased as a matched set. Even
purchasing RAM with the same model number from the same manufacturer can
result in mismatched RAM unless you are using very high end RAM. You also
need to make sure the PSU is up to the task of a) delivering enough power
and b) delivering stable power. A PSU that doesn't deliver stable power
across it's full range is the cause of many RAM errors.

All that said there are some low end motherboards and computers that just
don't work right with all the DIMM slots populated. The adage "You get what
you pay for" applies in spades to motherboards and computers in general. The
current quest by many for more RAM will be a source of problems for many
large OEM manufacturers. They skimp on power supplies and have the cheapest
motherboards possible. Start adding RAM and it's a recipe for trouble.

As I said I think it's more a problem with consumer expectation. You can't
expect a low cost consumer computer to work properly when you change it's
configuration. Low cost systems are commodity items that aren't designed to
be changed at all.

--

> It is still very much a general problem with consumer mobos, the vast
> majority of which do not support more than 8GB. Your mobo, of course, is
> no longer a current product, but I'm sure that the model that superceded
> yours would perform equally as well.
>
> The issues with DDR3 appear to be worse right now. The placement of the
> slots and southbridge must be an engineering nightmare at the increasing
> frequencies.

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> In addition to the other comments, you need to be aware that just
>>> because the mobo specs say that it supports 8GB of ram and that it
>>> supports 1066 ram does NOT mean that it will support 8GB of 1066 ram.
>>>
>>> It may only support 8GB of 800 or 667 ram but 4GB of 1066. It is all
>>> too frequent a problem with current mobos. It almost certainly won't
>>> work with stock settings. The best thing to do is get on the mobo mfg's
>>> user forum and start asking questions and reading threads. Also, look
>>> for the test reports on the mfg's website so you can see what
>>> configurations have been tested for each brand of ram.
>>>
>>> If you are going for a fully populated board with 2x1GB sticks, then you
>>> are not going to be able to do it at the top rated speed supported by
>>> the mobo. The current memory controller drivers and BIOS aren't cutting
>>> it on consumer mobos in that configuration.

>> Some motherboards do work properly. I agree that a lot don't, but to say
>> they all don't is an over generalization. I have a rock steady system
>> using a Gigabyte M61P-S3 motherboard using four 2GB DDR2 800 DIMMS (8GB,
>> fastest supported speed). The key seems to be to use high quality matched
>> RAM for all four sticks and use a motherboard/chipset that supports more
>> RAM than you are using. The M61P-S3 supports up to 16 GB.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

undisclosed

Re: Upgrade 8GB RAM for 680i SLI Mobo with Vistax64~

Hey, are there any other desktop memory topics around this board?

--
tekn
Colin Barnhorst

"undisclosed" wrote in message

> Hey, are there any other desktop memory topics around this board?
>

> --
> tekn

This is a general Vista hardware newsgroup and not a board. As such, topics
come and go in the form of threads such as this one. You might try some of
the Forums where suptopics can be maintained permanently by the moderators.
Microsoft public newsgroups don't even have moderators.