BIOS AND Vista Not Seeing 2nd Hard Drive

ejames

BIOS AND Vista Not Seeing 2nd Hard Drive
I have upgraded from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Vista on a Toshiba Qosmio
G35-AVA600 which has two 80GB SATA hard drives. In Windows XP the drive was
seen as one 180GB hard drive. No problem.

After I installed Vista the second drive is not showing and I can't format
it from disk management services because it is not shown.

The wierd thing is that I am not missing any files, but perhaps I had not
used any space on the second hard drive, therefore I wouldn't be missing any
files.

Also, after installing Vista I checked the BIOS and it does not see my
second hard drive (it lists second hard drive and says "None"), nor does My
Computer but it is there as I have made no hardware changes. All I did was
upgrade from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to installing Windows Vista. I have
the latest RAID drivers from Toshiba which was updated after I installed
Vista. The latest BIOS was installed from Toshiba website BEFORE I upgraded
and it WAS listed in the BIOS.

I've read the many threads on second ATA hard drives but no one mentions
that their BIOS does not recognize the drive as well as Vista.

How do I fix this problem?? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
--
Elizabeth James
DL

Re: BIOS AND Vista Not Seeing 2nd Hard Drive
Winxp showed one drive because you had a stripe array
Vista has no baring on the bios, so if its not there now it was unlikely to
have been there before - You are refering to motherboard bios BTW?

What size does vist show for C?

"ejames" <ejames6342@aol.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
>I have upgraded from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Vista on a Toshiba Qosmio
> G35-AVA600 which has two 80GB SATA hard drives. In Windows XP the drive
> was
> seen as one 180GB hard drive. No problem.
>
> After I installed Vista the second drive is not showing and I can't format
> it from disk management services because it is not shown.
>
> The wierd thing is that I am not missing any files, but perhaps I had not
> used any space on the second hard drive, therefore I wouldn't be missing
> any
> files.
>
> Also, after installing Vista I checked the BIOS and it does not see my
> second hard drive (it lists second hard drive and says "None"), nor does
> My
> Computer but it is there as I have made no hardware changes. All I did was
> upgrade from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to installing Windows Vista. I have
> the latest RAID drivers from Toshiba which was updated after I installed
> Vista. The latest BIOS was installed from Toshiba website BEFORE I
> upgraded
> and it WAS listed in the BIOS.
>
> I've read the many threads on second ATA hard drives but no one mentions
> that their BIOS does not recognize the drive as well as Vista.
>
> How do I fix this problem?? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Elizabeth James

ejames

Re: BIOS AND Vista Not Seeing 2nd Hard Drive
Yes, I am referring to the motherboard BIOS. In Windows XP it showed 180GB.

In Vista it shows 69.8 GB. There is about 10MB or so allocated to system
files.
--
Elizabeth James

"DL" wrote:

> Winxp showed one drive because you had a stripe array
> Vista has no baring on the bios, so if its not there now it was unlikely to
> have been there before - You are refering to motherboard bios BTW?
>
> What size does vist show for C?
>
> "ejames" <ejames6342@aol.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> >I have upgraded from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Vista on a Toshiba Qosmio
> > G35-AVA600 which has two 80GB SATA hard drives. In Windows XP the drive
> > was
> > seen as one 180GB hard drive. No problem.
> >
> > After I installed Vista the second drive is not showing and I can't format
> > it from disk management services because it is not shown.
> >
> > The wierd thing is that I am not missing any files, but perhaps I had not
> > used any space on the second hard drive, therefore I wouldn't be missing
> > any
> > files.
> >
> > Also, after installing Vista I checked the BIOS and it does not see my
> > second hard drive (it lists second hard drive and says "None"), nor does
> > My
> > Computer but it is there as I have made no hardware changes. All I did was
> > upgrade from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to installing Windows Vista. I have
> > the latest RAID drivers from Toshiba which was updated after I installed
> > Vista. The latest BIOS was installed from Toshiba website BEFORE I
> > upgraded
> > and it WAS listed in the BIOS.
> >
> > I've read the many threads on second ATA hard drives but no one mentions
> > that their BIOS does not recognize the drive as well as Vista.
> >
> > How do I fix this problem?? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Elizabeth James

DL

Re: BIOS AND Vista Not Seeing 2nd Hard Drive
Review your mobo manual, in particular the settings for using sata drives
not in a raid.
You can usually set the Bios to Defaults, as in default mode raid settings
are generally not enabled.

> Yes, I am referring to the motherboard BIOS. In Windows XP it showed
> 180GB.
>
> In Vista it shows 69.8 GB. There is about 10MB or so allocated to system
> files.
> --
> Elizabeth James
>

> "DL" wrote:
>
>> Winxp showed one drive because you had a stripe array
>> Vista has no baring on the bios, so if its not there now it was unlikely
>> have been there before - You are refering to motherboard bios BTW?
>>
>> What size does vist show for C?
>>
>> "ejames" <ejames6342@aol.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
>> >I have upgraded from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Vista on a Toshiba
>> >Qosmio
>> > G35-AVA600 which has two 80GB SATA hard drives. In Windows XP the drive
>> > was
>> > seen as one 180GB hard drive. No problem.
>> >
>> > After I installed Vista the second drive is not showing and I can't
>> > format
>> > it from disk management services because it is not shown.
>> >
>> > The wierd thing is that I am not missing any files, but perhaps I had
>> > not
>> > used any space on the second hard drive, therefore I wouldn't be
>> > missing
>> > any
>> > files.
>> >
>> > Also, after installing Vista I checked the BIOS and it does not see my
>> > second hard drive (it lists second hard drive and says "None"), nor
>> > does
>> > My
>> > Computer but it is there as I have made no hardware changes. All I did
>> > was
>> > upgrade from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to installing Windows Vista. I
>> > have
>> > the latest RAID drivers from Toshiba which was updated after I
>> > installed
>> > Vista. The latest BIOS was installed from Toshiba website BEFORE I
>> > upgraded
>> > and it WAS listed in the BIOS.
>> >
>> > I've read the many threads on second ATA hard drives but no one
>> > mentions
>> > that their BIOS does not recognize the drive as well as Vista.
>> >
>> > How do I fix this problem?? Any help at all would be greatly
>> > appreciated!!
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > --
>> > Elizabeth James

ejames

RE: BIOS AND Vista Not Seeing 2nd Hard Drive
I found a real simple solution to this problem.&nbsp; Since neither my BIOS nor "My Computer" were&nbsp;seeing the second hard drive, I figured that maybe the hard drive is not completely plugged into the computer especially since the BIOS was not seeing it either and the BIOS loads before Windows.So, I unplugged it and reseated it and, low and behold, it appeared.&nbsp; It must have been jiggled a bit out of socket.Thanks to all who have given me suggestions on what to try.Elizabeth