Vista Locking Up

Nharri

Vista Locking Up
I Recently put together a new cpu, using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. But for
some reason the system keeps randomly locking up in 10-20 min intervals that
I have to restart the system every time. Also when I try to install Vista 64
bit SP1 at the end of installation it tells me there is an internal error. Is
this simply a case of bad Ram or something more?? Here is the system specs.

-AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
-GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
-XION Solaris XON-404 Black with Blue LED Light Computer Case
-CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Dual Channel
-XFX GeForce 8600 GT PVT84JZAFG Video Card
-ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC

PvdG42

Re: Vista Locking Up
"Nharri" <Nharri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I Recently put together a new cpu, using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. But
> for
> some reason the system keeps randomly locking up in 10-20 min intervals
> that
> I have to restart the system every time. Also when I try to install Vista
> 64
> bit SP1 at the end of installation it tells me there is an internal error.
> Is
> this simply a case of bad Ram or something more?? Here is the system
> specs.
>
> -AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
> -GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
> -XION Solaris XON-404 Black with Blue LED Light Computer Case
> -CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
> Dual Channel
> -XFX GeForce 8600 GT PVT84JZAFG Video Card
> -ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC

Have you thoroughly tested your memory using a reliable tool, like Memtest
86 (Google for it)?
Report results.
Are you monitoring temperatures? Tell us your ambient (room) temperature,
plus your case and CPU temperatures at idle and under full load.

PvdG42

Re: Vista Locking Up
"Nharri" <Nharri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I Recently put together a new cpu, using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. But
> for
> some reason the system keeps randomly locking up in 10-20 min intervals
> that
> I have to restart the system every time. Also when I try to install Vista
> 64
> bit SP1 at the end of installation it tells me there is an internal error.
> Is
> this simply a case of bad Ram or something more?? Here is the system
> specs.
>
> -AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
> -GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
> -XION Solaris XON-404 Black with Blue LED Light Computer Case
> -CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
> Dual Channel
> -XFX GeForce 8600 GT PVT84JZAFG Video Card
> -ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC

Oops! One other thing...
What about your PSU? Your hardware is power hungry. PSU make, model and
specs (12v, 5v and 3.3v rail output, how many 12v rails)?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista Locking Up
The easiest place to start is to reseat all the cards and cables, especially
if you have been recently moving the box around a lot. As PvdG42 mentions,
make sure the power supply is powerful enough for all your equipment.

"Nharri" <Nharri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I Recently put together a new cpu, using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. But for
> some reason the system keeps randomly locking up in 10-20 min intervals
> that
> I have to restart the system every time. Also when I try to install Vista
> 64
> bit SP1 at the end of installation it tells me there is an internal error.
> Is
> this simply a case of bad Ram or something more?? Here is the system
> specs.
>
> -AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
> -GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
> -XION Solaris XON-404 Black with Blue LED Light Computer Case
> -CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
> Dual Channel
> -XFX GeForce 8600 GT PVT84JZAFG Video Card
> -ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC

Nharri

Re: Vista Locking Up
I ran the Mem test and one stick locked up the Mem test twice, while one
stick went through the test fine.
The cpu temp sits at about 39 degreees Celsius
The power supply is 450w

> I ran the Mem test and one stick locked up the Mem test twice, while one
> stick went through the test fine.
> The cpu temp sits at about 39 degreees Celsius
> The power supply is 450w

So, you've discovered unstable/bad memory. That could be the entire problem.
However, AMD recommends minimum 600W PSU for Phenoms, so you should consider
changing that as well. Get a good one with at least two 12v rails.

Tony

Re: Vista Locking Up
First off do you have the Ram in the right slots. They both should be in the
yellow slots.
As for SP1 error you have a driver problem. check to see if all you drivers
are correct and they are install correctly.
If you are using the 196 drivers for your geforce 8600 card use the older
driver I had to do that so SP1 would install then I upgraded to the 196
drivers and all work fine.

"Nharri" <Nharri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I Recently put together a new cpu, using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. But
> for
> some reason the system keeps randomly locking up in 10-20 min intervals
> that
> I have to restart the system every time. Also when I try to install Vista
> 64
> bit SP1 at the end of installation it tells me there is an internal error.
> Is
> this simply a case of bad Ram or something more?? Here is the system
> specs.
>
> -AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
> -GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
> -XION Solaris XON-404 Black with Blue LED Light Computer Case
> -CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
> Dual Channel
> -XFX GeForce 8600 GT PVT84JZAFG Video Card
> -ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC

Nharri

Re: Vista Locking Up
Could the weak PSU be the reason for it locking up? If I try to load a
graphicly demanding game the PC locks up in a matter of seconds.

"PvdG42" wrote:

> "Nharri" <Nharri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I ran the Mem test and one stick locked up the Mem test twice, while one
> > stick went through the test fine.
> > The cpu temp sits at about 39 degreees Celsius
> > The power supply is 450w
> >

> So, you've discovered unstable/bad memory. That could be the entire problem.
> However, AMD recommends minimum 600W PSU for Phenoms, so you should consider
> changing that as well. Get a good one with at least two 12v rails.

Rich.

Re: Vista Locking Up
Being an Intel CPU guy I'm not overly familiar with the AMD CPUs, so I could
be off base here. But it's possible that the wrong ACPI driver was
installed. If that is so, then you will only get the lockups if
Hyperthreading is turned on in the BIOS. If HT is turned off, you will not
get the locking up. Temporarily turn off HT in the BIOS and see if the
problem goes away. If it does, you've found your problem.

If you need to change the ACPI driver, in device manager, click the plus
sign in front of "Computer" at the top of the hardware list and double click
the ACPI listing.

"Nharri" <Nharri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I Recently put together a new cpu, using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. But for
> some reason the system keeps randomly locking up in 10-20 min intervals
> that
> I have to restart the system every time. Also when I try to install Vista
> 64
> bit SP1 at the end of installation it tells me there is an internal error.
> Is
> this simply a case of bad Ram or something more?? Here is the system
> specs.
>
> -AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
> -GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
> -XION Solaris XON-404 Black with Blue LED Light Computer Case
> -CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
> Dual Channel
> -XFX GeForce 8600 GT PVT84JZAFG Video Card
> -ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista Locking Up
There is only one ACPI x64 driver, but I don't remember if there is only one
for x86 since all my Vista machines are running x64. Thats a good question
maybe one the gurus here will answer.

news:haKdneLxfprGz9DVnZ2dnUVZ_vWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..