Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes

Derek

Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes
With the ATI Catalyst 8.1 or 8.5 installed, I was getting the error message
"Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered"
error whilst playing games and Google earth, then blue screens appeared
eventually.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Intel Core 2 E8300 2.88Ghz
2G DDR2 800
ATI Radeon HD3690 256mb
1 Seagate 500G SATA II 7200 w/32mb
Samsung DVD-RW
Vista Ultimate SP1 32 bit

Anyone can help?

marfi

Re: Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes
Użytkownik "Derek" <derekchangch@hotmail.com> napisał w wiadomości

> Anyone can help?

No, it's typical for ATI - more here:
http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-ra...-error-54.html
--
marfi

Tony

Re: Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes
Yes use the Microsoft driver after you install the ATI one. It stops the
crashes and the BSOD

"marfi" <marfi@bb.onet.pl> wrote in message
> Użytkownik "Derek" <derekchangch@hotmail.com> napisał w wiadomości
>>
>> Anyone can help?
>>

> No, it's typical for ATI - more here:
> http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-ra...-error-54.html
> --
> marfi

Derek

Re: Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes
Hi Tony,

I tried to underclock the GPU frequency as mentioned in WarOfGenesis's
message, yet the problem persisted.A blue screen showed up again even when I
zoomed in Google Earth.

Can you tell me how to switch to Microsoft display driver?

Many thanks
Derek

"Tony" <automain1@hotmail.com> 写入消息
> Yes use the Microsoft driver after you install the ATI one. It stops the
> crashes and the BSOD
>

> "marfi" <marfi@bb.onet.pl> wrote in message
>> Użytkownik "Derek" <derekchangch@hotmail.com> napisał w wiadomości
>>>
>>> Anyone can help?
>>>

>> No, it's typical for ATI - more here:
>> http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-ra...-error-54.html
>> --
>> marfi

Tony

Re: Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes
Yes to install the MS drivers you need to select update driver then do
manual choose the MS driver from the list.

"Derek" <derekchangch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Tony,
>
> I tried to underclock the GPU frequency as mentioned in WarOfGenesis's
> message, yet the problem persisted.A blue screen showed up again even when
> I zoomed in Google Earth.
>
> Can you tell me how to switch to Microsoft display driver?
>
> Many thanks
> Derek
>
> "Tony" <automain1@hotmail.com> 写入消息
>> Yes use the Microsoft driver after you install the ATI one. It stops the
>> crashes and the BSOD
>>

>> "marfi" <marfi@bb.onet.pl> wrote in message
>>> Użytkownik "Derek" <derekchangch@hotmail.com> napisał w wiadomości

>>> No, it's typical for ATI - more here:
>>> http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-ra...-error-54.html
>>> --
>>> marfi

paultzz

Re: Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes

I will try the MS driver as well, though it irks me that ATI can't get
it right. I have a one-year old quad-core system. Quality components,
very simple, very stable, good power supply, no excess heat (GPU 37
degrees C), no over-clocking, running Vista 32-bit. The motherboard is
an Asus P5K-V. I do not play games. I recently upgraded to a
dual-monitor system, which required more than the integrated graphics,
so I got the Radeon Sapphire HD4670, another simple mid-level solution
that would provide two DVI outputs at any normal resolution. (Somewhat
reluctantly, remembering other ATI cards in systems and years past.) I
installed the latest stable driver (8.12). Now I am experiencing _daily_
crashes with the atikmdag display driver message. This is highly
frustrating. ATI support says to check hardware issues, and attempts to
put the blame on any and everything else in the system. For many
enthusiasts who tinker with their systems this will result in them
thinking "Hmm, I must have done something wrong here." I don't buy it.
In my system the only change was the ATI card, so it is the problem.
Looks like the tradition of shoddy engineering, incompetent programming
and poor customer service is alive and well at ATI/AMD today.

--
paultzz
paultzz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/paultzz.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Richrichman

Re: Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes

New hardware then? This problem has been bugging me for the past 4 weeks
and I can't find a solution. ATI have let me down and I'm now going to
bin my Radeon 3800

--
Richrichman
Richrichman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/richrichman.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...ces/982864.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jimbobbob42

Re: Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes

People, be reasonable. read the post from other people using Intel and
Nvidia graphics. They have the same issue but instead of atikmdag, they
get some error for that type of graphics. The only thing in common is
Vista, maybe bin Vista instead. I see it as a Microsoft issue. I had the
issue on an 8600 gt and now on a hd 4670. Both video cards are giving me
display driver has stopped working. Nvidia, ATI, Intel or Microsoft has
given a solution to this problem.

--
jimbobbob42
jalex3

Re: Vista and ATI 8.5 Display driver atikmdag crashes

i would just like to say it is a microsoft problem (and ait) but i get
it on xp, vista and 7 so there is no hope

--
jalex3
jalex3's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/115431.htm