Can't see external hard drive in Windows Explorer

tgeorge

Can't see external hard drive in Windows Explorer
I am connecting an external hard drive (Acomdata 250G drive - pretty
standard) via USB to my HP laptop running Vista. I am able to see the device
listed under Disk Drives in the Device Manager. Drilling into Properties, I
see that the device is running properly and, having re-loaded the device
drivers, I have the most recent drivers.

The issue: I am unable to see the device listed in Window Explorer, and thus
I can't drill into the folders to get at the content.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Can't see external hard drive in Windows Explorer
Is it assigned a drive letter in Drive Management?

Right click Computer, choose Manage, expand Storage, and choose Disk
Management.

"tgeorge" <tgeorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am connecting an external hard drive (Acomdata 250G drive - pretty
> standard) via USB to my HP laptop running Vista. I am able to see the
> device
> listed under Disk Drives in the Device Manager. Drilling into Properties,
> see that the device is running properly and, having re-loaded the device
> drivers, I have the most recent drivers.
>
> The issue: I am unable to see the device listed in Window Explorer, and
> thus
> I can't drill into the folders to get at the content.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

tgeorge

Re: Can't see external hard drive in Windows Explorer
Many thanks, Colin. I had not found the Disk Management function previously.

Unfortunately, the problem persists. The disk appears in Disk Management,
its status is Online. However, when I right click the volume, the option to
Change Drive Letter and Paths is grayed out. The only options are Delete
Volume and Help (which doesn't have an answer for this issue).

Here's a piece of information that could be the root of the issue: the data
on the disk was written from a Mac. But it was written to be readable by
both Macs and PCs.

Any thoughts? Again, many thanks.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Is it assigned a drive letter in Drive Management?
>
> Right click Computer, choose Manage, expand Storage, and choose Disk
> Management.
>
> "tgeorge" <tgeorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am connecting an external hard drive (Acomdata 250G drive - pretty
> > standard) via USB to my HP laptop running Vista. I am able to see the
> > device
> > listed under Disk Drives in the Device Manager. Drilling into Properties,
> > see that the device is running properly and, having re-loaded the device
> > drivers, I have the most recent drivers.
> >
> > The issue: I am unable to see the device listed in Window Explorer, and
> > thus
> > I can't drill into the folders to get at the content.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Can't see external hard drive in Windows Explorer
The drive is probably formatted FAT32 since Macs cannot modify NTFS files.
Vista should still be able to handle the files since Vista has no problem
with FAT32. However I suspect that the drive was formatted with a Mac and
Vista may not be able to mount it. Do you have another computer which you
can hook it up to and see if you can pull any files you need off of it?
What you need to do is get the files off, hook it back up to the Vista
machine, use Drive Management to delete the partition, recreate the
partition, and assign a drive letter. You shouldn't have any issue with it
after that.

> Many thanks, Colin. I had not found the Disk Management function
> previously.
>
> Unfortunately, the problem persists. The disk appears in Disk Management,
> its status is Online. However, when I right click the volume, the option
> Change Drive Letter and Paths is grayed out. The only options are Delete
> Volume and Help (which doesn't have an answer for this issue).
>
> Here's a piece of information that could be the root of the issue: the
> data
> on the disk was written from a Mac. But it was written to be readable by
> both Macs and PCs.
>
> Any thoughts? Again, many thanks.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Is it assigned a drive letter in Drive Management?
>>
>> Right click Computer, choose Manage, expand Storage, and choose Disk
>> Management.
>>
>> "tgeorge" <tgeorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am connecting an external hard drive (Acomdata 250G drive - pretty
>> > standard) via USB to my HP laptop running Vista. I am able to see the
>> > device
>> > listed under Disk Drives in the Device Manager. Drilling into
>> > Properties,
>> > see that the device is running properly and, having re-loaded the
>> > device
>> > drivers, I have the most recent drivers.
>> >
>> > The issue: I am unable to see the device listed in Window Explorer, and
>> > thus
>> > I can't drill into the folders to get at the content.
>> >
>> > Any help is greatly appreciated.

tgeorge

Re: Can't see external hard drive in Windows Explorer
Again, many thanks for the help. It may take a couple days to get access to
a computer to follow the steps you provided, but I'll try it, and get back to
you.

I appreciate your expertise.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> The drive is probably formatted FAT32 since Macs cannot modify NTFS files.
> Vista should still be able to handle the files since Vista has no problem
> with FAT32. However I suspect that the drive was formatted with a Mac and
> Vista may not be able to mount it. Do you have another computer which you
> can hook it up to and see if you can pull any files you need off of it?
> What you need to do is get the files off, hook it back up to the Vista
> machine, use Drive Management to delete the partition, recreate the
> partition, and assign a drive letter. You shouldn't have any issue with it
> after that.
>
> "tgeorge" <tgeorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Many thanks, Colin. I had not found the Disk Management function
> > previously.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the problem persists. The disk appears in Disk Management,
> > its status is Online. However, when I right click the volume, the option
> > Change Drive Letter and Paths is grayed out. The only options are Delete
> > Volume and Help (which doesn't have an answer for this issue).
> >
> > Here's a piece of information that could be the root of the issue: the
> > data
> > on the disk was written from a Mac. But it was written to be readable by
> > both Macs and PCs.
> >
> > Any thoughts? Again, many thanks.
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> Is it assigned a drive letter in Drive Management?
> >>
> >> Right click Computer, choose Manage, expand Storage, and choose Disk
> >> Management.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Can't see external hard drive in Windows Explorer
You're welcome.

"tgeorge" <tgeorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7FD14ED-ECC8-48B9-BDD2-CF8E100C24CC@microsoft.com...
> Again, many thanks for the help. It may take a couple days to get access
> a computer to follow the steps you provided, but I'll try it, and get back
> you.
>
> I appreciate your expertise.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> The drive is probably formatted FAT32 since Macs cannot modify NTFS
>> files.
>> Vista should still be able to handle the files since Vista has no problem
>> with FAT32. However I suspect that the drive was formatted with a Mac
>> and
>> Vista may not be able to mount it. Do you have another computer which
>> you
>> can hook it up to and see if you can pull any files you need off of it?
>> What you need to do is get the files off, hook it back up to the Vista
>> machine, use Drive Management to delete the partition, recreate the
>> partition, and assign a drive letter. You shouldn't have any issue with
>> it
>> after that.
>>
>> "tgeorge" <tgeorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Many thanks, Colin. I had not found the Disk Management function
>> > previously.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, the problem persists. The disk appears in Disk
>> > Management,
>> > its status is Online. However, when I right click the volume, the
>> > option
>> > Change Drive Letter and Paths is grayed out. The only options are
>> > Volume and Help (which doesn't have an answer for this issue).
>> >
>> > Here's a piece of information that could be the root of the issue: the
>> > data
>> > on the disk was written from a Mac. But it was written to be readable
>> > by
>> > both Macs and PCs.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts? Again, many thanks.

Edwin Leal

Re: Can't see external hard drive in Windows Explorer

Hi I have a laptop tx2120us with Windows Vista Ultimate, and I want to
conect an HP external personal media drive to my notebook via USB, but the
computer can't recognize it, and when I enter to my computer this function is
not responding...What can I do??
I appreciate your help with this, hope the answer soon.