All in one printer

ancre15

All in one printer
can anyone help?
I am involved with out U3A (Educational charity for retired people) we
bought our membership secretary a new Vista computer when her XP system died
and of course her old Dell all in one wont work.
Does any one have details of a working all in one (printer / scanner fax not
essential) which worked "straight out of the box" or with minimum driver
download.
I have searched the web without much sucess, any suggestions welcome please
regards Alan
Malke

Re: All in one printer
ancre15 wrote:

> can anyone help?
> I am involved with out U3A (Educational charity for retired people) we
> bought our membership secretary a new Vista computer when her XP system
> died and of course her old Dell all in one wont work.
> Does any one have details of a working all in one (printer / scanner fax
> not essential) which worked "straight out of the box" or with minimum
> driver download.
> I have searched the web without much sucess, any suggestions welcome
> please regards Alan

What do you mean you've searched without much success? Go to the websites of
a few major printer mftrs. - HP, Epson, etc. - and see what they have
available in your price range with the options you want. HP even has a
"help me make a choice" wizard.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Gordon

Re: All in one printer
"ancre15" <ancre15@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone help?
> I am involved with out U3A (Educational charity for retired people) we
> bought our membership secretary a new Vista computer when her XP system
> died
> and of course her old Dell all in one wont work.

Did you go the the Dell website to see if there are Vista drivers for the
old printer?

Nonny

Re: All in one printer
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 13:47:42 +0100, "Gordon"
<gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>"ancre15" <ancre15@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> can anyone help?
>> I am involved with out U3A (Educational charity for retired people) we
>> bought our membership secretary a new Vista computer when her XP system
>> died
>> and of course her old Dell all in one wont work.

>Did you go the the Dell website to see if there are Vista drivers for the
>old printer?

You cut out the best part of the OP's post: the part about not finding
anything in the way of all-in-one printers after an "extensive" search
of the web, or something to that effect.

Asking him/her to find something on the Dell site won't be very
productive from the looks of it.
Steve Thackery

Re: All in one printer
> I have searched the web without much sucess....

Well, I don't think you searched very thoroughly! Vista-compatible
all-in-ones are very common.

However, having used most makes of printers/scanners, I will make a
recommendation for you: Canon.

In my experience their drivers and utilities are the closest you'll get to
"just works". Also, almost all their all-in-ones support duplex printing as
standard, which is quite handy.

In terms of print speed and quality, scanning speed and quality, running
costs, etc, most makes are pretty competitive. Canon aren't noticeably
better or worse than HP, Lexmark, Epson, etc.

But I will say that I'm currently running a Canon Pixma MP780 and think it
is totally brilliant.

SteveT

Nonny

Re: All in one printer
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:32:36 +0100, "Steve Thackery"
<nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>> I have searched the web without much sucess....

>Well, I don't think you searched very thoroughly! Vista-compatible
>all-in-ones are very common.
>
>However, having used most makes of printers/scanners, I will make a
>recommendation for you: Canon.
>
>In my experience their drivers and utilities are the closest you'll get to
>"just works". Also, almost all their all-in-ones support duplex printing as
>standard, which is quite handy.
>
>In terms of print speed and quality, scanning speed and quality, running
>costs, etc, most makes are pretty competitive. Canon aren't noticeably
>better or worse than HP, Lexmark, Epson, etc.

Canon and Epson are significantly better than the others when it comes
to the cost of replacement cartridges since they have individual
cartridges for each color... sometimes even more.

AND those cartridges (Canon for sure) are available in unbranded
(generic) form.

>But I will say that I'm currently running a Canon Pixma MP780 and think it
>is totally brilliant.
>
>SteveT

ancre15

Re: All in one printer
Well guys thank you for your answers - though I have to say some were more
concerned with telling me what I hadnt done than giving helpfull advice. That
said thanks to Steve for the recommendation - I will look at the Canon MP780

"searched without sucess" - is true in as much as I couldnt reach a
conclusion - it is possible for us non-teckies to be swamped with information

"Dell drivers" One of our committee members spent a long time on line and on
the phone to dell - the drivers they sugested didnt work.

My post was was perhaps badly worded - we want a true vista-compatible all
in one which will work "out of the box" without hunting on the web for
drivers. Our volunteer secretary who uses it lives in the next town the less
involvement I have the better - I shall just buy it and hopefully someone
else will set it up.
many thanks Alan

"Steve Thackery" wrote:

> > I have searched the web without much sucess....

> Well, I don't think you searched very thoroughly! Vista-compatible
> all-in-ones are very common.
>
> However, having used most makes of printers/scanners, I will make a
> recommendation for you: Canon.
>
> In my experience their drivers and utilities are the closest you'll get to
> "just works". Also, almost all their all-in-ones support duplex printing as
> standard, which is quite handy.
>
> In terms of print speed and quality, scanning speed and quality, running
> costs, etc, most makes are pretty competitive. Canon aren't noticeably
> better or worse than HP, Lexmark, Epson, etc.
>
> But I will say that I'm currently running a Canon Pixma MP780 and think it
> is totally brilliant.
>
> SteveT

Nonny

Re: All in one printer
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 10:02:00 -0700, ancre15
<ancre15@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My post was was perhaps badly worded - we want a true vista-compatible all
>in one which will work "out of the box" without hunting on the web for
>drivers.

If it says it's compatible with Vista, either Vista will have built-in
drivers for it or the drivers will be on an installation CD.