WAN Miniport (SSTP) Malfunction

Mark K

WAN Miniport (SSTP) Malfunction
I have a yellow caution sign next to my WAN Miniport (SSTP) in Device
manager. I tried to update this MS driver but Vista does not find one. I
suspect this is the driver problem error that is causing the SP1 install
error. Does anyone have a fix for this?
Rick Rogers

Re: WAN Miniport (SSTP) Malfunction
Check for a driver from the device or system manufacturer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mark K" <mkacmarik@hotmail.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
>I have a yellow caution sign next to my WAN Miniport (SSTP) in Device
> manager. I tried to update this MS driver but Vista does not find one. I
> suspect this is the driver problem error that is causing the SP1 install
> error. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Xenomorph

Re: WAN Miniport (SSTP) Malfunction
This may be a long shot, but...

I have a write-up on my site with instructions for fixing the "WAN Miniport
(IP)" device on XP, but it *MIGHT* help you fix the "WAN Miniport (SSTP)"
under Vista:

http://xenomorph.net/?page_id=523

Make sure to do things as Admin.

Basically, you remove the WAN Miniport device from the registry, then remove
it from Device Manager (you may have to use the "set
devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" variable to get it to display the hidden
WAN Miniport devices), and then use the Microsoft tool "devcon" to
re-install the WAN Miniport device.

Devcon is available here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

Other examples of WAN Miniport repair:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread18016.html

If you need further assitance in some of the steps, you may be able to
contact me through my website or forum.

"Mark K" <mkacmarik@hotmail.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
>I have a yellow caution sign next to my WAN Miniport (SSTP) in Device
> manager. I tried to update this MS driver but Vista does not find one. I
> suspect this is the driver problem error that is causing the SP1 install
> error. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: WAN Miniport (SSTP) Malfunction
What a great post! Good job, Xeno.

"Xenomorph" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> This may be a long shot, but...
>
> I have a write-up on my site with instructions for fixing the "WAN
> Miniport (IP)" device on XP, but it *MIGHT* help you fix the "WAN Miniport
> (SSTP)" under Vista:
>
> http://xenomorph.net/?page_id=523
>
> Make sure to do things as Admin.
>
> Basically, you remove the WAN Miniport device from the registry, then
> remove it from Device Manager (you may have to use the "set
> devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" variable to get it to display the hidden
> WAN Miniport devices), and then use the Microsoft tool "devcon" to
> re-install the WAN Miniport device.
>
> Devcon is available here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
>
> Other examples of WAN Miniport repair:
> http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread18016.html
>

> If you need further assitance in some of the steps, you may be able to
> contact me through my website or forum.
>

> "Mark K" <mkacmarik@hotmail.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
>>I have a yellow caution sign next to my WAN Miniport (SSTP) in Device
>> manager. I tried to update this MS driver but Vista does not find one.
>> suspect this is the driver problem error that is causing the SP1 install
>> error. Does anyone have a fix for this?

chapmad2

Re: WAN Miniport (SSTP) Malfunction

WAN Miniport (SSTP FIX)
------------------------

I have solved this problem. Now Microsoft confirms this to be a problem
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/948263 ) which you can
ignore apparently, except when it causes a Blue Screen of Death.

You have to 1st remove the SSTP miniport entry, and then get Vista to
put it back. ( this Fix applies to Vista Service SP1)

1st to stop the BSOD, Start Vista in safe mode,
Go to Control Panel, Administration Tools, Services, and find the
service

"Remote Access Connection Manager" (the service that looks after
Dial Up connections and VPN's).
Set this to DISABLED. This stops if trying to launch under normal mode,
which triggers the "Blue Screen".

To remove the errant SSTP Driver
--------------------------------
start Vista again.
Use the following commands to be carried out as the user Administrator
(Run as Administrator) from Command prompt (cmd):

"netcfg -e -u ms_sstpminiport"

This ReMOVES the entry.

To Replace the SSTP entry (without which the Remote Accesss Connection
Manager Service" cannot Start.
-------------------------

Reboot your PC, start Vista as normal,

Download DEVCON, a command prompt dev tool from Microsoft. Devcon is
available here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
Download the ZIP file, and put it somewhere handy like
C:\windows\system32 to save having to put a path when you run it. If you
have a broken dial up, you have to download this from elsewhere before
you start.

Run Command Prompt (using the Run As Adminstrator Option).

Type the command :

devcon install c:\windows\inf\netsstpa.inf ms_sstpminiport

Watch the command for it finishes. If it errors, dont worry, it needs a
reboot yet, and some of the commands cannot finish while your logged on.

Reboot the PC.

Go to Control Panel, Administration Tools, Services, and find the
service

"Remote Access Connection Manager" (the service that looks after
Dial Up connections and VPN's).
Set this to Manual (or Automatic).

You should find that this service can now start (if it has not already.
My 1st run at this fix, set the start of the service back to Manual when
I ran the devcon). You should find that the Dial Up functions are now
back online, and the blue screen is just a memory that has gone. Took me
2 days to get to this point, but its better than a re-installation from
scratch. PC now works with no issues.

--
chapmad2
chapmad2's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90370.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

help me

"Mark K" wrote:

> I have a yellow caution sign next to my WAN Miniport (SSTP) in Device
> manager. I tried to update this MS driver but Vista does not find one. I
> suspect this is the driver problem error that is causing the SP1 install
> error. Does anyone have a fix for this?

gripitgolf

Rick Rogers;3788390 Wrote:
> Check for a driver from the device or system manufacturer.
>
> This may be a long shot, but...
>
> I have a write-up on my site with instructions for fixing the "WAN
> Miniport
> (IP)" device on XP, but it *MIGHT* help you fix the "WAN Miniport
> (SSTP)"
> under Vista:
>
> Make sure to do things as Admin.
>
> Basically, you remove the WAN Miniport device from the registry, then
> remove
> it from Device Manager (you may have to use the "set
> devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" variable to get it to display the
> hidden
> WAN Miniport devices), and then use the Microsoft tool "devcon" to
> re-install the WAN Miniport device.
>
> Devcon is available here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
>
> If you need further assitance in some of the steps, you may be able to
> contact me through my website or forum.

I need help with the installation. Please contact me as soon as you can

--
gripitgolf
gripitgolf's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/133868.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...ces/982266.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

wanwoes

Re: WAN Miniport (SSTP) Malfunction

Chapmad2 instructions worked great for sstp but pppoe will not
reinstall. What is the devcon command line for that?

--
wanwoes
wanwoes's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/156023.htm