"Unknown Device" under device manager

Kris

"Unknown Device" under device manager
OK, so I uninstalled my computer's two "USB root hubs" under device manager
in order to attempt solve an issue with a webcam. Now, they appear as
"Unknown Devices". Is there a way I could fix this so they are listed
appropiately? I also attempted to delete the two uknown devices and have the
computer search for new hardware, but they appear listed the same when found.
Any ideas?
Donald L McDaniel

Re: "Unknown Device" under device manager
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:56:00 -0700, Kris
<Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>OK, so I uninstalled my computer's two "USB root hubs" under device manager
>in order to attempt solve an issue with a webcam. Now, they appear as
>"Unknown Devices". Is there a way I could fix this so they are listed
>appropiately? I also attempted to delete the two uknown devices and have the
>computer search for new hardware, but they appear listed the same when found.
> Any ideas?

Let me get this right:

In an attempt to solve an issue withg a webcam, you deleted all your
USB root hubs. NOw you want to know how to get them to appear
properly.

If this is the case, here is the fix:
Reinstall the buggers if you want them to be listed correctly!

By the way, how many other USB devices stopped working after you
deleted the root hubs?

Donald L McDaniel
Kris

Re: "Unknown Device" under device manager

How do I re-install the buggers when they keep appearing as"uknown devices"
when I attempt to do so?
"Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:56:00 -0700, Kris
> <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >OK, so I uninstalled my computer's two "USB root hubs" under device manager
> >in order to attempt solve an issue with a webcam. Now, they appear as
> >"Unknown Devices". Is there a way I could fix this so they are listed
> >appropiately? I also attempted to delete the two uknown devices and have the
> >computer search for new hardware, but they appear listed the same when found.
> > Any ideas?

> Let me get this right:
>
> In an attempt to solve an issue withg a webcam, you deleted all your
> USB root hubs. NOw you want to know how to get them to appear
> properly.
>
> If this is the case, here is the fix:
> Reinstall the buggers if you want them to be listed correctly!
>
> By the way, how many other USB devices stopped working after you
> deleted the root hubs?
>

> Donald L McDaniel

Tony

Re: "Unknown Device" under device manager
Use the update driver tab for each unknown devices and look in the list and
pick the one for your usb
That would be the right choice to me for the fix.
Because when you uninstalled them Vista does not remove the drivers from the
driver dat file unless you tell it to and you did not remove them.
So go look.