1394 Hook up

Jason

1394 Hook up
I have a laptop running Windows Vista. It has an ExpressCard/54.
I need to hook my camera up to the laptop.
The camera has a 4pin I link connection.

I need an expresscard/1394 port to make this happen. I haven't had luck
finding one. Any suggestions?
Colin Barnhorst

Re: 1394 Hook up
http://www.firewire-1394.com/siig-fi...xpresscard.htm
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=277548
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw...esscard34.html

And all I did was google on "firewire expresscard."

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop running Windows Vista. It has an ExpressCard/54.
> I need to hook my camera up to the laptop.
> The camera has a 4pin I link connection.
>
> I need an expresscard/1394 port to make this happen. I haven't had luck
> finding one. Any suggestions?

Jason

Re: 1394 Hook up
Ok. I figured out that I can connect a 4 pin to a 6 pin or 9 pin....
Now, what difference will I notice if I decide to go 6 or 9?
It's all data transfer speed right? The quality will remain the same?
Thanks again Colin
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> http://www.firewire-1394.com/siig-fi...xpresscard.htm
> http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=277548
> http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw...esscard34.html
>
> And all I did was google on "firewire expresscard."
>
> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a laptop running Windows Vista. It has an ExpressCard/54.
> > I need to hook my camera up to the laptop.
> > The camera has a 4pin I link connection.
> >
> > I need an expresscard/1394 port to make this happen. I haven't had luck
> > finding one. Any suggestions?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: 1394 Hook up
Sony's iLink is simply a firewire connector that does not provide power to
the device. That's the only difference between the 4 and 6 pin connectors.
6pin can provide power. Things like camcorders require separate power
supplies anyway so effectively there is no difference and data transfers at
up to 400 over either. 9pin is another matter. That provides for a
firewire transfer speed up to 800. 9pin and 6pin connectors are compatible
but 9pin and 4pin connectors are not.

> Ok. I figured out that I can connect a 4 pin to a 6 pin or 9 pin....
> Now, what difference will I notice if I decide to go 6 or 9?
> It's all data transfer speed right? The quality will remain the same?
> Thanks again Colin
> Jason
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839104010
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839104009
>> http://www.firewire-1394.com/siig-fi...xpresscard.htm
>> http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=277548
>> http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw...esscard34.html
>>
>> And all I did was google on "firewire expresscard."
>>
>> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a laptop running Windows Vista. It has an ExpressCard/54.
>> > I need to hook my camera up to the laptop.
>> > The camera has a 4pin I link connection.
>> >
>> > I need an expresscard/1394 port to make this happen. I haven't had luck
>> > finding one. Any suggestions?

Jason

Re: 1394 Hook up
Thanks Colin,
You are the man! I searched and searched for an ExpressCard/54 compatible
Firewire card that WILL work with Vista. I didn't have any luck finding a for
sure card. I read reviews on the products I could find, and others didn't
have any reviews... so I made the best educated guess I could.
I ordered, from NewEgg, a Startech EC13942 IEEE 1394 ExpressCard for $50.
It is for ExpressCard/34, which I assume will still work with a 54 (based on
some
reviews I read about other 34mm cards. (hope it works) Some of the people that
gave it a review mentioned that it works fine with Vista. It also comes with
a 4pin-6pin cord. I'm unsure of how long it is, but it should get me
started. It doesn't come with an optional power supply, but like you
mentioned, the camcorder powers itself.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Sony's iLink is simply a firewire connector that does not provide power to
> the device. That's the only difference between the 4 and 6 pin connectors.
> 6pin can provide power. Things like camcorders require separate power
> supplies anyway so effectively there is no difference and data transfers at
> up to 400 over either. 9pin is another matter. That provides for a
> firewire transfer speed up to 800. 9pin and 6pin connectors are compatible
> but 9pin and 4pin connectors are not.
>
> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok. I figured out that I can connect a 4 pin to a 6 pin or 9 pin....
> > Now, what difference will I notice if I decide to go 6 or 9?
> > It's all data transfer speed right? The quality will remain the same?
> > Thanks again Colin
> > Jason
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839104010
> >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839104009
> >> http://www.firewire-1394.com/siig-fi...xpresscard.htm
> >> http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=277548
> >> http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw...esscard34.html
> >>
> >> And all I did was google on "firewire expresscard."

Colin Barnhorst

Re: 1394 Hook up
Great! Good luck with it.