ram ..please help

veryunhappy

ram ..please help

hi there i have just installed 2x2gb memory cards to go with my other
2x2gb cards making a total of 8gb of ram as that is what my mother board
can take
i have checked bios start up menu and the ram is in as it is saying i
have 8196mb of ram but when i go onto base index score to check for
hardware the extra ram is not showing as the new hardware is not being
detected ?????why is this
does any body know how i get it to show
os is vista home prem 32 bit
many thanks

--
veryunhappy
Colin Barnhorst

Re: ram ..please help
32bit operating systems cannot address more than 4GB of memory. It is
simple math. Two to the 32nd power is 4GB. That's all the unique addresses
you get mathematically. To use your full 8GB of memory you need to run a
64bit version of Windows XP or Vista, or a 32bit version of Windows Server
2003 Enterprise Edition or higher.

See the memory tables here:

"veryunhappy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hi there i have just installed 2x2gb memory cards to go with my other
> 2x2gb cards making a total of 8gb of ram as that is what my mother board
> can take
> i have checked bios start up menu and the ram is in as it is saying i
> have 8196mb of ram but when i go onto base index score to check for
> hardware the extra ram is not showing as the new hardware is not being
> detected ?????why is this
> does any body know how i get it to show
> os is vista home prem 32 bit
> many thanks
>

> --
> veryunhappy

dennis

Re: ram ..please help
Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> 32bit operating systems cannot address more than 4GB of memory. It is
> simple math. Two to the 32nd power is 4GB. That's all the unique
> addresses you get mathematically. To use your full 8GB of memory you
> need to run a 64bit version of Windows XP or Vista, or a 32bit version
> of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition or higher.

It is not because 32bit systems cannot address more, as you also mention
Windows 2003 can do it, Microsoft just made a choice to not support more
than 4G in Vista.
Curious

Re: ram ..please help
A 32 bit OS can not CONCURRENTLY address more the 4GB as Colin pointed out.
"dennis" <1@1.invalid> wrote in message
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> 32bit operating systems cannot address more than 4GB of memory. It is
>> simple math. Two to the 32nd power is 4GB. That's all the unique
>> addresses you get mathematically. To use your full 8GB of memory you
>> need to run a 64bit version of Windows XP or Vista, or a 32bit version of
>> Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition or higher.

> It is not because 32bit systems cannot address more, as you also mention
> Windows 2003 can do it, Microsoft just made a choice to not support more
> than 4G in Vista.

dennis

Re: ram ..please help
Curious wrote:
> A 32 bit OS can not CONCURRENTLY address more the 4GB as Colin pointed
> out.

Yes, it can. It just need to spread it out across multiple processes, or
an application needs to be coded to use awe
Colin Barnhorst

Re: ram ..please help
Read the table I linked. No, MS did not make a decision not to support more
than 4GB in Vista. No 32bit Windows clients support more than 4GB, XP
included. Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and Windows Home Server
don't either. Higher 32bit editions of Windows 2003 and 2008 do so through
PAE.

"dennis" <1@1.invalid> wrote in message
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> 32bit operating systems cannot address more than 4GB of memory. It is
>> simple math. Two to the 32nd power is 4GB. That's all the unique
>> addresses you get mathematically. To use your full 8GB of memory you
>> need to run a 64bit version of Windows XP or Vista, or a 32bit version of
>> Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition or higher.

> It is not because 32bit systems cannot address more, as you also mention
> Windows 2003 can do it, Microsoft just made a choice to not support more
> than 4G in Vista.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: ram ..please help
No it can't. What you are describing is simply remapping.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Read the table I linked. No, MS did not make a decision not to support
> more than 4GB in Vista. No 32bit Windows clients support more than 4GB,
> XP included. Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and Windows Home
> Server don't either. Higher 32bit editions of Windows 2003 and 2008 do
> so through PAE.

I know that only a few of their editions supports more than 4GB, and
that a decision they made. It is not because it is a "32-bit OS"
dennis

Re: ram ..please help
Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> No it can't. What you are describing is simply remapping.

No matter what mode you're in, the virtual address space is "mapped"
onto physcial pages. In PAE mode you can then map way more than 4GB.

The physical address space is not made up of x number of 4GB spaces. It
is one big address space.
Colin Barnhorst

Re: ram ..please help
Not with Windows clients. The only thing PAE does in 32bit clients is
provide some support for certain types of device driver issues. Please see
https://www.microsoft.com/whdc/syste...AE/PAEdrv.mspx

From which I quote:

"Microsoft supports Physical Address Extension (PAE) memory in Microsoft
Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 products:

Operating system Maximum memory support with PAE
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
8 GB of physical RAM

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
32 GB of physical RAM

Windows XP (all versions)
4 GB of physical RAM*

Windows Server 2003 (and SP1), Standard Edition
4 GB of physical RAM*

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
32 GB of physical RAM

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
64 GB of physical RAM

Windows Server 2003 SP1, Enterprise Edition
64 GB of physical RAM

Windows Server 2003 SP1, Datacenter Edition
128 GB of physical RAM

* Total physical address space is limited to 4 GB on these versions of
Windows.