Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

waves on extended desktop, and when only using CRT monitor

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2008
The Shadow
 

Posts: n/a
waves on extended desktop, and when only using CRT monitor
I have a new Toshiba Satellite 210. When I use the LCD+CRT extended desktop
mode, or just use the CRT monitor (Samsung - SyncMaster 17GLi) I get waves
that move down the screen. It makes my display look like a flag. When I only
use the CRT - in that mode the waves move faster. The actual display on the
screen moves and the display gets darker in areas, giving it a distance
effect. This really gets annoying, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2008
Dwarf
 

Posts: n/a
RE: waves on extended desktop, and when only using CRT monitor
Hi,

Have you got another PC that you can try the monitor on? If so, does the
problem disappear? If it does, then you need to look at the settings on the
other machine (the one you are having problems with). Have you set the
refresh rate too low? Set all settings to the values recommended by the
monitor manufacturer. If none of this helps, or if there is no difference
when the monitor is connected to an alternative PC, then it looks as though
the monitor has an internal fault in which case you are looking at obtaining
a replacement. Before condemning it altogether, check the video cable. If it
is the type that plugs into the monitor as opposed to being wired in, try
another cable as some faults are caused by faulty cables.
Dwarf

"The Shadow" wrote:

> I have a new Toshiba Satellite 210. When I use the LCD+CRT extended desktop
> mode, or just use the CRT monitor (Samsung - SyncMaster 17GLi) I get waves
> that move down the screen. It makes my display look like a flag. When I only
> use the CRT - in that mode the waves move faster. The actual display on the
> screen moves and the display gets darker in areas, giving it a distance
> effect. This really gets annoying, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2008
The Shadow
 

Posts: n/a
RE: waves on extended desktop, and when only using CRT monitor
Thanks Dwarf, I was mostly worried about my new laptop being at fault. The
monitor has worked great for a number of years with another computer, but it
did take a fall at one point so I would not be too suprised if the screen is
causing the problem. the strange thing is that it waves at a faster speed
when it is used as my only monitor. There is only one refresh rate that it is
allowing me to use, so I would think that it is the right one. Just to make
sure because I am still covered by a warranty. Are you pretty confident that
the problem is not the computer? I will try the extended desktop with another
monitor, and get reply later. Thanks again for your assistence.
The Shadow

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you got another PC that you can try the monitor on? If so, does the
> problem disappear? If it does, then you need to look at the settings on the
> other machine (the one you are having problems with). Have you set the
> refresh rate too low? Set all settings to the values recommended by the
> monitor manufacturer. If none of this helps, or if there is no difference
> when the monitor is connected to an alternative PC, then it looks as though
> the monitor has an internal fault in which case you are looking at obtaining
> a replacement. Before condemning it altogether, check the video cable. If it
> is the type that plugs into the monitor as opposed to being wired in, try
> another cable as some faults are caused by faulty cables.
> Dwarf
>
> "The Shadow" wrote:
>
> > I have a new Toshiba Satellite 210. When I use the LCD+CRT extended desktop
> > mode, or just use the CRT monitor (Samsung - SyncMaster 17GLi) I get waves
> > that move down the screen. It makes my display look like a flag. When I only
> > use the CRT - in that mode the waves move faster. The actual display on the
> > screen moves and the display gets darker in areas, giving it a distance
> > effect. This really gets annoying, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2008
Dwarf
 

Posts: n/a
RE: waves on extended desktop, and when only using CRT monitor
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
From what you say, it is perfectly possible that your monitor is faulty,
especially as "it did take a fall at one point". Although monitors are fairly
sturdy items, it certainly does them no good whatsoever if they suffer
accidental damage, e.g. if they are dropped. This can cause internal damage
to the tube itself, particularly to the shadow mask/grid supports. It can
also cause the electron gun to become misaligned.
When purchasing a new monitor as a replacement, be sure to check that it has
a standard VGA connector available as most, if not all, laptops only support
this standard.
Dwarf

"The Shadow" wrote:

> Thanks Dwarf, I was mostly worried about my new laptop being at fault. The
> monitor has worked great for a number of years with another computer, but it
> did take a fall at one point so I would not be too suprised if the screen is
> causing the problem. the strange thing is that it waves at a faster speed
> when it is used as my only monitor. There is only one refresh rate that it is
> allowing me to use, so I would think that it is the right one. Just to make
> sure because I am still covered by a warranty. Are you pretty confident that
> the problem is not the computer? I will try the extended desktop with another
> monitor, and get reply later. Thanks again for your assistence.
> The Shadow
>
> "Dwarf" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Have you got another PC that you can try the monitor on? If so, does the
> > problem disappear? If it does, then you need to look at the settings on the
> > other machine (the one you are having problems with). Have you set the
> > refresh rate too low? Set all settings to the values recommended by the
> > monitor manufacturer. If none of this helps, or if there is no difference
> > when the monitor is connected to an alternative PC, then it looks as though
> > the monitor has an internal fault in which case you are looking at obtaining
> > a replacement. Before condemning it altogether, check the video cable. If it
> > is the type that plugs into the monitor as opposed to being wired in, try
> > another cable as some faults are caused by faulty cables.
> > Dwarf
> >
> > "The Shadow" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a new Toshiba Satellite 210. When I use the LCD+CRT extended desktop
> > > mode, or just use the CRT monitor (Samsung - SyncMaster 17GLi) I get waves
> > > that move down the screen. It makes my display look like a flag. When I only
> > > use the CRT - in that mode the waves move faster. The actual display on the
> > > screen moves and the display gets darker in areas, giving it a distance
> > > effect. This really gets annoying, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > > Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual Monitor (Extended Desktop) WPG photo screensaver cepowell microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 2 06-20-2008 18:54
strange little waves appear on Vista Desktop Lucia Grassi microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 08-28-2007 13:55
Start Menu empty when returning from extended monitor kayko2000 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 06-28-2007 15:51
How to remotely control apps. on a second monitor in Extended mode Dima microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 06-25-2007 21:20
How to remotely control apps. on a second monitor in Extended mode Dima microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 2 06-25-2007 21:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:15.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120