Gateway C-142XL for 64 bit

hyla

Gateway C-142XL for 64 bit

I am interested in a Gateway C-142XL convertible tablet PC. I like the
specs on this computer. I also like the idea of being able to use
tablet mode, without going to a a 12" screen. It comes with Vista 32
bit. I am going to be running > models, so I want to take advantage of
the 64 bit system. My understanding is I can get Vista 64 bit compile
for a nominal fee. However, I am concerned that I will not be able to
get all of the devices to work properly. Are drivers for new computer
hardware generally available? Anyone tried this machine with 64 bit? I
am having a hard time finding out what drivers are needed for this
machine to check for 64 bit compiles. Processor and memory should be
fine. I found a driver for the video card. Any advice on what else to
check out? Any advice on going to 64 bit on new machines (or tablets
set up with 32 bit operating system in general)?

--
hyla
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Gateway C-142XL for 64 bit
You would need to contact Gateway and address your
concerns with them.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"hyla" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:e0ebcf317d37583be74ecfabf2fe39c8@nntp-gateway.com...

[...]

I did contact Gateway - they were not particularly helpful. I asked for
a list of drivers on the machine, so I could search for available 64-bit
drivers to no avail. I was trying to find out if anyone had tried going
64 bit on this (or similar) machine.

--
hyla
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Gateway C-142XL for 64 bit
Then you should look at other Tablets.

> I did contact Gateway - they were not particularly helpful. I asked for
> a list of drivers on the machine, so I could search for available 64-bit
> drivers to no avail. I was trying to find out if anyone had tried going
> 64 bit on this (or similar) machine.
>

> --
> hyla

hyla

Re: Gateway C-142XL for 64 bit

I found a list (complete?) of drivers for this box listed on the Gateway
website. Here are the ones that do not have 64 bit drivers listed:

Harddrive (250 GB 5400 rpm SATA with 8MB cache)
Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
UPEK fingerprint reader
Tablet PC Button drivers (6.0.6000.0310 driver posted, 32 bit)
Prolific USB to serial port drivers (posted, version 2.0.21)
SigmaTel Audio driver (posted version 6.10.5365.0)
ATI mobility Radeon X2300 - looks like 64 bit available for download
8X Multi-Format Dual layer DVD-RW with DVD RAM (no driver appears to be
listed for this computer on the Gateway website - so not sure if it is
compatible or not)

1) does anyone know if 64 bit drivers are available for these devices?
I did a search of the forum and only found info for the ATI.

2) other drivers not listed that I should be worried about?

3) other issues?

Thanks for the help

--
hyla
hyla

Re: Gateway C-142XL for 64 bit

I am looking at other machines. However, this machine has the power I
want and a 14" screen (which does not seem to be available in any other
"performance" tablets). I did find a list of drivers on the website.

--
hyla
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Gateway C-142XL for 64 bit
Without full driver support from the Tablet manufacturer I would avoid this
model completely. The feature set will do you no good if you wind up
fighting the machine all the time. If it were a desktop you might stand a
chance to find drivers or replace components with ones with Vista x64
support, but laptops and tablets are another matter.