Double clicking required on more icons than should be

Stewie

Double clicking required on more icons than should be
HI, I have a new HP with Vista Home Premium preinstalled.I am having to
double click on some icons when i should not have to(i think), an example is
the back and forward arrow -but not all the time -sometimes one click does
the trick,also sometimes I double click back, the page goes back,then forward
again.Also when Iam in the Windows Media program there is no pointer at all
visable on the screen-is this nomal?
Any suggestions would be a help
Malke

Re: Double clicking required on more icons than should be
Stewie wrote:

> HI, I have a new HP with Vista Home Premium preinstalled.I am having to
> double click on some icons when i should not have to(i think), an example
> is the back and forward arrow -but not all the time -sometimes one click
> does the trick,also sometimes I double click back, the page goes back,then
> forward again.Also when Iam in the Windows Media program there is no
> pointer at all visable on the screen-is this nomal?
> Any suggestions would be a help

Try a different mouse. If this is a wireless mouse, put new batteries in it.
If that doesn't help, try a different corded mouse. If this is a laptop and
you're using the touchpad, go to HP's website and download/install the
latest drivers (will probably be either Synaptics or Alps). If this is a
laptop and you're using the touchpad and updating the drivers doesn't help,
contact HP for repair/replacement because it is probably a hardware issue.

If you need more help, then post back with the obviously missing information
where I had to make assumptions above.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Stewie

Re: Double clicking required on more icons than should be
Thanks for the reply Malke

This is not a laptop, not a wireless mouse and I have tried another mouse
that functions ok on other puter.

Stewie wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Malke
>
> This is not a laptop, not a wireless mouse and I have tried another mouse
> that functions ok on other puter.

If the same problem happens using another corded mouse (presumably USB since
this is a new desktop and probably doesn't have ps/2 ports), then something
is running in the background interfering with your mouse clicks. If you
*do* have ps/2 ports, then the last mouse step (as it were) is to use a USB
mouse if you're currently using a ps/2 port and vice versa.

Otherwise, you should answer the First Question of Troubleshooting: what
changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't? If at one
time you didn't have this issue, then you need to figure out what changed
or, if this is fairly recent, do a System Restore to when things were fine.
OTOH, if you always had the problem (which BTW I haven't seen on clients'
HP machines), do some clean-boot troubleshooting to try and narrow down
what's interfering.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista -

Malke