Driver required for New Internal HDD?

izaaco

Driver required for New Internal HDD?
Hi,

I've Vista Biz running on my new comp. After I did a fresh installation, I
decided to make a clone of my HDD.

After inserting a new HDD, Vista boots up asking me for the HDD driver, why
is this happening? How come it doesn't recognise my HDD and asked me for the
driver?

Is there any settings I need to change in Vista? I did this before in XP but
there wasn't any HDD driver issue.

I attempted to use my HDD as an Ext USB drive as well, but it prompted me
for USB ATAPI Bridge Driver which I don't have too.

Appreciate if someone can assist.

Thank you.

bad_the_ba

Re: Driver required for New Internal HDD?

hard drives typically don't require anything additional for drivers, the
model is correctly detected or it is set up as generic with no issues.
However, if you do not have up to date drivers for your hard drive
CONTROLLER, or it is using a generic windows HDD controller driver, you
might see issues asking for drivers for the disk itself. Don't quote me
on this, just a thought.

--
bad_the_ba
izaaco

Re: Driver required for New Internal HDD?
This is the first time I encounter something like this as well. Maybe it has
something to do with the SATA settings.

After I do some change of SATA settings in the BIOS, now Vista ask me for my
DVD-ROM driver. I seriously dunno whats wrong.

Hopefully someone can assist.

iz.

"bad_the_ba" wrote:

> hard drives typically don't require anything additional for drivers, the
> model is correctly detected or it is set up as generic with no issues.
> However, if you do not have up to date drivers for your hard drive
> CONTROLLER, or it is using a generic windows HDD controller driver, you
> might see issues asking for drivers for the disk itself. Don't quote me
> on this, just a thought.
>

> --
> bad_the_ba

bad_the_ba

Re: Driver required for New Internal HDD?

um... I thought I did help. Check your motherboard manufacturer's site
for the latest SATA and/or IDE controller drivers. If you did not
install these from a CD, Windows might be just getting by on it's own
included drivers. If not under the drive controller category, they are
almost always part of the "motherboard chipset" driver installation

--
bad_the_ba
izaaco

Re: Driver required for New Internal HDD?
I'm afraid its not the driver problem. Cos I did an installation with 2 HDD
inside and everything is ok. But when I try to ADD in another HDD AFTER
installation, all the funny things take place.

iz

"bad_the_ba" wrote:

> um... I thought I did help. Check your motherboard manufacturer's site
> for the latest SATA and/or IDE controller drivers. If you did not
> install these from a CD, Windows might be just getting by on it's own
> included drivers. If not under the drive controller category, they are
> almost always part of the "motherboard chipset" driver installation
>

> --
> bad_the_ba

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Driver required for New Internal HDD?
If you cloned the system drive did you disconnect it when trying to boot
into the clone? You should.

"izaaco" <izaaco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm afraid its not the driver problem. Cos I did an installation with 2
> HDD
> inside and everything is ok. But when I try to ADD in another HDD AFTER
> installation, all the funny things take place.
>
> iz
>
> "bad_the_ba" wrote:
>

>> um... I thought I did help. Check your motherboard manufacturer's site
>> for the latest SATA and/or IDE controller drivers. If you did not
>> install these from a CD, Windows might be just getting by on it's own
>> included drivers. If not under the drive controller category, they are
>> almost always part of the "motherboard chipset" driver installation
>>

>> --
>> bad_the_ba

izaaco

Re: Driver required for New Internal HDD?
Hi Colin,

I did disconnect after cloning. The problem I cant resolve is the part when
Vista keep prompting me for my HDD driver. After formatting my new HDD, I can
see it in the windows explorer and managed to clone my old HDD.

After I disconnect my new HDD from my system, it boot up without problem.
However, when I boot up with the new HDD, the driver error is still there!!
This is when I have only ONE HDD on the system. I cloned the error over =s

Headache...

iz.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> If you cloned the system drive did you disconnect it when trying to boot
> into the clone? You should.
>
> "izaaco" <izaaco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm afraid its not the driver problem. Cos I did an installation with 2
> > HDD
> > inside and everything is ok. But when I try to ADD in another HDD AFTER
> > installation, all the funny things take place.
> >
> > iz
> >
> > "bad_the_ba" wrote:
> >

> >> um... I thought I did help. Check your motherboard manufacturer's site
> >> for the latest SATA and/or IDE controller drivers. If you did not
> >> install these from a CD, Windows might be just getting by on it's own
> >> included drivers. If not under the drive controller category, they are
> >> almost always part of the "motherboard chipset" driver installation
> >>

> >> --
> >> bad_the_ba

Colin Barnhorst

> Hi Colin,
>
> I did disconnect after cloning. The problem I cant resolve is the part
> when
> Vista keep prompting me for my HDD driver. After formatting my new HDD, I
> can
> see it in the windows explorer and managed to clone my old HDD.
>
> After I disconnect my new HDD from my system, it boot up without problem.
> However, when I boot up with the new HDD, the driver error is still
> there!!
> This is when I have only ONE HDD on the system. I cloned the error over =s
>
> Headache...
>
> iz.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> If you cloned the system drive did you disconnect it when trying to boot
>> into the clone? You should.
>>
>> "izaaco" <izaaco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm afraid its not the driver problem. Cos I did an installation with 2
>> > HDD
>> > inside and everything is ok. But when I try to ADD in another HDD AFTER
>> > installation, all the funny things take place.
>> >
>> > iz

Curious

Re: Driver required for New Internal HDD?
What kind of HDD drives do you have.
If SATA is the new drive connected the SATA #1 port on your MOBO when it is
the only drive?
If IDE what are the drives set to Master/slave/Cable connect?
"izaaco" <izaaco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Colin,
>
> I did disconnect after cloning. The problem I cant resolve is the part
> when
> Vista keep prompting me for my HDD driver. After formatting my new HDD, I
> can
> see it in the windows explorer and managed to clone my old HDD.
>
> After I disconnect my new HDD from my system, it boot up without problem.
> However, when I boot up with the new HDD, the driver error is still
> there!!
> This is when I have only ONE HDD on the system. I cloned the error over =s
>
> Headache...
>
> iz.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> If you cloned the system drive did you disconnect it when trying to boot
>> into the clone? You should.
>>
>> "izaaco" <izaaco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm afraid its not the driver problem. Cos I did an installation with 2
>> > HDD
>> > inside and everything is ok. But when I try to ADD in another HDD AFTER
>> > installation, all the funny things take place.
>> >
>> > iz

DL

Re: Driver required for New Internal HDD?
You mentioned also a 'bridge' driver in your earlier post
Do I take it you built this sys yourself, or at least installed Vista?
Have you checked your mobo site, NOT winupdate, for updated Vista chipset &
other drivers?
Seems to me you have a few drivers problems, incorrect or missing drivers?