1394 Firewire dropped devices

John Lenz

1394 Firewire dropped devices
Configuration:

Vista Ultimate - 32 bit SP1

I have a Maxtor external firewire disk drive and it worked just fine until I
installed my firewire camera to capture video.

When I do, I lose the maxtor drive (which holds the captured video) and have
to unplug/replug the Maxtor to get the drive recognized.

How can I keep both devices operational since I only need the firewire
camera when I have video to capture?

Thanks
John

Colin Barnhorst

Re: 1394 Firewire dropped devices
You don't say what software, but you need to check with the manufacturer of
the software for Vista software and drivers. If you are using Vista
software then ask the manufacturer for help.

"John Lenz" <lenz4@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Configuration:
>
> Vista Ultimate - 32 bit SP1
>
> I have a Maxtor external firewire disk drive and it worked just fine until
> I installed my firewire camera to capture video.
>
> When I do, I lose the maxtor drive (which holds the captured video) and
> have to unplug/replug the Maxtor to get the drive recognized.
>
> How can I keep both devices operational since I only need the firewire
> camera when I have video to capture?
>
> Thanks
> John

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: 1394 Firewire dropped devices
Could be a PSU insufficiency if you are using both devices without external
power (AC) source(s).
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"John Lenz" <lenz4@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Configuration:
>
> Vista Ultimate - 32 bit SP1
>
> I have a Maxtor external firewire disk drive and it worked just fine until
> I installed my firewire camera to capture video.
>
> When I do, I lose the maxtor drive (which holds the captured video) and
> have to unplug/replug the Maxtor to get the drive recognized.
>
> How can I keep both devices operational since I only need the firewire
> camera when I have video to capture?
>
> Thanks
> John

John Lenz

Re: 1394 Firewire dropped devices
Folks,

Both devices have independent AC power. Seagate tech support sent link to
KB930495 that talks of a hot fix to Vista for this problem. However, it
describes files but has no download or install option. Could you look over
this and advise how to apply hot fix. BTW, I am at SP1 on Vista Ultimate 32
bit

Thx
"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Could be a PSU insufficiency if you are using both devices without
> external power (AC) source(s).
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "John Lenz" <lenz4@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Configuration:
>>
>> Vista Ultimate - 32 bit SP1
>>
>> I have a Maxtor external firewire disk drive and it worked just fine
>> until I installed my firewire camera to capture video.
>>
>> When I do, I lose the maxtor drive (which holds the captured video) and
>> have to unplug/replug the Maxtor to get the drive recognized.
>>
>> How can I keep both devices operational since I only need the firewire
>> camera when I have video to capture?
>>
>> Thanks
>> John

John Lenz

Re: 1394 Firewire dropped devices
Colin,

I downloaded the "Hot Fix" 930495 and when I treid tp apply it, it said not
needed but I still get the drop of the 1394 Disk drive when I plug in my
camera. Any other options you might know of?

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You don't say what software, but you need to check with the manufacturer
> of the software for Vista software and drivers. If you are using Vista
> software then ask the manufacturer for help.
>
> "John Lenz" <lenz4@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Configuration:
>>
>> Vista Ultimate - 32 bit SP1
>>
>> I have a Maxtor external firewire disk drive and it worked just fine
>> until I installed my firewire camera to capture video.
>>
>> When I do, I lose the maxtor drive (which holds the captured video) and
>> have to unplug/replug the Maxtor to get the drive recognized.
>>
>> How can I keep both devices operational since I only need the firewire
>> camera when I have video to capture?
>>
>> Thanks
>> John

Colin Barnhorst

Re: 1394 Firewire dropped devices
As an experiment, if the hard drive enclosure supports multiple types of
interfaces, use a usb or eSATA connection on the hard drive to connect to
the computer and then connect the camera to the firewire port. What
happens?

> Colin,
>
> I downloaded the "Hot Fix" 930495 and when I treid tp apply it, it said
> not needed but I still get the drop of the 1394 Disk drive when I plug in
> my camera. Any other options you might know of?
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> You don't say what software, but you need to check with the manufacturer
>> of the software for Vista software and drivers. If you are using Vista
>> software then ask the manufacturer for help.
>>
>> "John Lenz" <lenz4@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> Configuration:
>>>
>>> Vista Ultimate - 32 bit SP1
>>>
>>> I have a Maxtor external firewire disk drive and it worked just fine
>>> until I installed my firewire camera to capture video.
>>>
>>> When I do, I lose the maxtor drive (which holds the captured video) and
>>> have to unplug/replug the Maxtor to get the drive recognized.
>>>
>>> How can I keep both devices operational since I only need the firewire
>>> camera when I have video to capture?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> John

John L

Re: 1394 Firewire dropped devices
I plugged Maxtor into USB and have had no problems since. I'll leave it on
USB rather than firewire.

Thx
--
John L