Strange mouse happenings???

richg99

Strange mouse happenings???
Up until a few days ago, my mouse(s) ( both my notebook pad and my wireless
Mouse) worked "normally". That is, I could highlight text by holding the
control key down; pressing the left button and then could copy/paste that
elsewhere. That still happens on my Windows mail items.

However, whenever I now go to a "dialog box' in a web site...and try to do
the same thing,, highlight the text and then copy/paste it..I get a "hand"
figure that tries to move the text around, but I cannot find a way to
highlight and copy anymore. No doubt some setting has changed (probably by
me!!)... I went to control panel and looked at the various mouse settings,
but none of them seem to help.

I tried to do three different System Restores and every time I do I get a
message that says that the restore didn't work due to an "unspecified
error"?? I'm lost...any help much appreciated. thanks Rich

t-4-2

Re: Strange mouse happenings???

richg99;733794 Wrote:
> Up until a few days ago, my mouse(s) ( both my notebook pad and my
> wireless
> Mouse) worked "normally". That is, I could highlight text by holding
> the
> control key down; pressing the left button and then could copy/paste
> that
> elsewhere. That still happens on my Windows mail items.
>
> However, whenever I now go to a "dialog box' in a web site...and try to
> do
> the same thing,, highlight the text and then copy/paste it..I get a
> "hand"
> figure that tries to move the text around, but I cannot find a way to
> highlight and copy anymore. No doubt some setting has changed (probably
> by
> me!!)... I went to control panel and looked at the various mouse
> settings,
> but none of them seem to help.
>
> I tried to do three different System Restores and every time I do I get
> message that says that the restore didn't work due to an "unspecified
> error"?? I'm lost...any help much appreciated. thanks Rich

Hello Rich,
Go to Safe mode ( power off, power back on, use the up/down arrow keys,
navigate to Safe Mode, press Enter key.) Do a system restore there. Make
sure you pick a date when everything was OK as your restore point. Let
me know if it finishes the system restore.

--
t-4-2
Mick Murphy

RE: Strange mouse happenings???
Is it the "hand" figure that you get from PDF files?
Re: System Restore.
Also disable Norton AV if you are using it, before doing a SR, as it has a
conflict with System Restore.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"richg99" wrote:

> Up until a few days ago, my mouse(s) ( both my notebook pad and my wireless
> Mouse) worked "normally". That is, I could highlight text by holding the
> control key down; pressing the left button and then could copy/paste that
> elsewhere. That still happens on my Windows mail items.
>
> However, whenever I now go to a "dialog box' in a web site...and try to do
> the same thing,, highlight the text and then copy/paste it..I get a "hand"
> figure that tries to move the text around, but I cannot find a way to
> highlight and copy anymore. No doubt some setting has changed (probably by
> me!!)... I went to control panel and looked at the various mouse settings,
> but none of them seem to help.
>
> I tried to do three different System Restores and every time I do I get a
> message that says that the restore didn't work due to an "unspecified
> error"?? I'm lost...any help much appreciated. thanks Rich

richg99

Re: Strange mouse happenings???
Mike Yes, it is the "hand" figure that you see when PDF is open.

re Norton...any other suggestions? I tried aVG, but their newest version is
loaded up with tool bars and other nonsense so I cancelled it. regards, rich

> Is it the "hand" figure that you get from PDF files?
> Re: System Restore.
> Also disable Norton AV if you are using it, before doing a SR, as it has a
> conflict with System Restore.
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "richg99" wrote:
>
>> Up until a few days ago, my mouse(s) ( both my notebook pad and my
>> wireless
>> Mouse) worked "normally". That is, I could highlight text by holding the
>> control key down; pressing the left button and then could copy/paste that
>> elsewhere. That still happens on my Windows mail items.
>>
>> However, whenever I now go to a "dialog box' in a web site...and try to
>> do
>> the same thing,, highlight the text and then copy/paste it..I get a
>> "hand"
>> figure that tries to move the text around, but I cannot find a way to
>> highlight and copy anymore. No doubt some setting has changed (probably
>> by
>> me!!)... I went to control panel and looked at the various mouse
>> settings,
>> but none of them seem to help.
>>
>> I tried to do three different System Restores and every time I do I get
>> message that says that the restore didn't work due to an "unspecified
>> error"?? I'm lost...any help much appreciated. thanks Rich

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Strange mouse happenings???
You have two checkboxes you can uncheck for the toolbars during the AVG
installation. I recommend it or Avast.