audio device help

A-Nightmare

audio device help
whenever you plug your headphones or microphone or speakers into any of the
jacks on your PC, it comes up in the little box and asks you what you plugged
into the jack. i accidentally unchecked something and now whenever i plug
things in it wont detect anything in those sound device sockets at the back,
how do i turn the auto detecting thing back on?
Nonny

Re: audio device help
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 17:12:00 -0700, A-Nightmare
<A-Nightmare@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>whenever you plug your headphones or microphone or speakers into any of the
>jacks on your PC, it comes up in the little box and asks you what you plugged
>into the jack.

No it doesn't. Maybe when YOU do it, but not when I do it.

> i accidentally unchecked something and now whenever i plug
>things in it wont detect anything in those sound device sockets at the back,
>how do i turn the auto detecting thing back on?

V Green

Re: audio device help

"Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 17:12:00 -0700, A-Nightmare
> <A-Nightmare@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >whenever you plug your headphones or microphone or speakers into any of the
> >jacks on your PC, it comes up in the little box and asks you what you plugged
> >into the jack.

> No it doesn't. Maybe when YOU do it, but not when I do it.

My, my. Aren't WE the nit-picking jagoff...

> > i accidentally unchecked something and now whenever i plug
> >things in it wont detect anything in those sound device sockets at the back,
> >how do i turn the auto detecting thing back on?

Mick Murphy

RE: audio device help
Do a System Restore back to when it worked.
If using Norton; disable it 1st.
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"A-Nightmare" wrote:

> whenever you plug your headphones or microphone or speakers into any of the
> jacks on your PC, it comes up in the little box and asks you what you plugged
> into the jack. i accidentally unchecked something and now whenever i plug
> things in it wont detect anything in those sound device sockets at the back,
> how do i turn the auto detecting thing back on?

Charlie Tame

Re: audio device help
A-Nightmare wrote:
> whenever you plug your headphones or microphone or speakers into any of the
> jacks on your PC, it comes up in the little box and asks you what you plugged
> into the jack. i accidentally unchecked something and now whenever i plug
> things in it wont detect anything in those sound device sockets at the back,
> how do i turn the auto detecting thing back on?

This behavior is likely to depend on your hardware and not all Vista
installations will do it, so assuming your sound devices are on the
motherboard then see if you can find anything on the makers' website. If
you do have a separate sound card then look on their website. My guess
would be that you will find an auto sense setting in the sound devices
properties, but it is just a guess.
A-Nightmare

RE: audio device help
Cheers i did a system restore and it fixed it, dunno what i touched to mess
it up though.