How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work.

mevande is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work.
Hello,
I have an new Acer Laptop with Vista Home premium. It has an ALPS touchpad. I want to disable the touchpad (and enable it w/ USB mouse on rare occasions where I might use the touchpad).

I went to the control panel and mouse properties and there is no way to disable it there. I also went to the device driver area and the disable device was greyed out.

How do I disable this touchpad?

Many thanks in advance!

Mike
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work.
Open your motherboard's BIOS and look for options
to enable or disable the touchpad.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"mevande" <mevande.3acnod@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message news:mevande.3acnod@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

Hello,
I have an new Acer Laptop with Vista Home premium. It has an ALPS
touchpad. I want to disable the touchpad (and enable it w/ USB mouse on
rare occasions where I might use the touchpad).

I went to the control panel and mouse properties and there is no way to
disable it there. I also went to the device driver area and the disable
device was greyed out.

How do I disable this touchpad?

Many thanks in advance!

Mike

--
mevande

Mick Murphy

RE: How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work.
A USB mouse will work without you disabling the Touchpad, and leaves you both
options!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"mevande" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an new Acer Laptop with Vista Home premium. It has an ALPS
> touchpad. I want to disable the touchpad (and enable it w/ USB mouse on
> rare occasions where I might use the touchpad).
>
> I went to the control panel and mouse properties and there is no way to
> disable it there. I also went to the device driver area and the disable
> device was greyed out.
>
> How do I disable this touchpad?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Mike
>

> --
> mevande

Bob J

RE: How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work.
On my Acer Notebook by pressing the FN key + F7 turns touchpad -Off - FN+F8
turns touchpad -ON.
--
Regards
Bob J

"mevande" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an new Acer Laptop with Vista Home premium. It has an ALPS
> touchpad. I want to disable the touchpad (and enable it w/ USB mouse on
> rare occasions where I might use the touchpad).
>
> I went to the control panel and mouse properties and there is no way to
> disable it there. I also went to the device driver area and the disable
> device was greyed out.
>
> How do I disable this touchpad?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Mike
>

> --
> mevande

Vistavision

Re: How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work.

Thanks for that info 'Bob J'

I've just bought an Acer Aspire 7720G and the sensitive touchpad was
really doing my head in. I would find that the line I was typing was
suddenly running in the middle of a previous paragraph. Your tip fixed
all that!

As an experienced Acer user - can you recommend a decent forum for
specifically 'Acer' related info? I did call the UK help-desk but they
neither hosted nor knew of an official or semi-official site. Bit
depressing when you've just bought one of their products!

Regards,

--
Vistavision
Bob J

RE: How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work
I have found the link below helpfull sometimes, other than that I rely on own
knowledge. If you post your queries to a genaral forum normally someone may
have a solution'
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
--

"Bob J" wrote:

> On my Acer Notebook by pressing the FN key + F7 turns touchpad -Off - FN+F8
> turns touchpad -ON.
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "mevande" wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> > I have an new Acer Laptop with Vista Home premium. It has an ALPS
> > touchpad. I want to disable the touchpad (and enable it w/ USB mouse on
> > rare occasions where I might use the touchpad).
> >
> > I went to the control panel and mouse properties and there is no way to
> > disable it there. I also went to the device driver area and the disable
> > device was greyed out.
> >
> > How do I disable this touchpad?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance!
> >
> > Mike
> >

> > --
> > mevande

Vistavision

Re: How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work.

Thanks for the forum info as well Bob. It's a good start anyway.
(Like a bus full of lawyers going over a cliff!)

--
Vistavision

''
(http://eu2.ixquick.com/do/preferences.pl?language_ui=english_uk)'Ixquick'
(http://eu2.ixquick.com/uk/aboutixquick/) - The 'European' Search
Engine. arty:
MarkyMarkD

Bob J;3777248 Wrote:
> On my Acer Notebook by pressing the FN key + F7 turns touchpad -Off -
> FN+F8
> turns touchpad -ON.
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.Thanks for the tip, Bob. The touchpad was driving me mad too.

On my Acer Aspire it's FN-F7 to switch it both on and off.

MMD

--
MarkyMarkD
MarkyMarkD's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/markymarkd.htm