S3 Resume hard drives dissapear

agent86oz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S3 Resume hard drives dissapear
This is probably a coincidence but since SP1 about a month ago S3 resume occationaly a drive will dissapear with huge event log.

I have 3 SATA drives Gigabyte P35-DS4. Intermittently the 2nd and 3rd drive disappear random from windows but not at the same time with an event log showing drive has dissappeard from the system without being prepared for removal. If I reboot the drive that disappeared returns and as long as S3 sleep is not activated no event log or drives dissapearing. It only happens every few days then rested for a week and now back again and it is not something you want to see on your data drive.

The boot drive has no problems, resuming is fast and I only have to hit the spacebar on the keyboard.

As far as I can tell from searching this can be caused by

1. Drive SATA cables (Swapped and still faults)
2. Drive power connection (checked and firm fit)
3. Drives faulty (Unlikely as they only just started fault and the chance of two different drives failing on the same day would be remote)
4. Motherboard Faulty

I have read of this problem with SP1 with no conclusive results or answer using Google but again a handfull of reports when SP1 came out is very likely to be a coincidence.

I guess it could be the power supply but you would think Drive C would fail in that case also.

I have run disk utilities on the drives including spinrite 6 **Home of Gibson Research Corporation** and no issues.

If you go into computer management and Storage you can see the drive has disappeared also but strangely even though I have double checked the SATA cables drive 0 = my second drive and Drive 1 = My first drive (boot) and the third drive shows correctly as Drive 2

From event Log errors in order oldest to newest al withing a couple of seconds. This is the lattest info.

Event ID 12 PlugPlayManager
The device 'ST3200822AS ATA Device' (IDE\DiskST3200822AS_____________________________3 .01____\5&1702e97&0&1.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

7 of these identical events.
Event ID 15 Disk
The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR2, is not ready for access yet.

OVER 2000 identical events spanning 2 seconds
Event ID 51 Disk
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.

4 of these identical events
Event ID 57 Volmgr
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Event ID 9 Volsnap
The flush and hold writes operation on volume D: timed out while waiting for file system cleanup

Any clues?

Thanks