HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?

Jason

HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
I recently bought a HD Camcorder. I bought Pinnacle Studio Ultimate to edit
my film. I am able to connect my camcorder to my laptop using USB, but the
software doesn't recognize my camera. It says I need to use Firewire or 1394
port. When I hook my camera up with HDMI, the camera and computer do not
recognize each other. I know the HDMI works, because I've used it for my TV.
I am not sure what the Firewire port is, or if my laptop has on?
I much rather use my HDMI port. Is there a way I can get my computer to
recognize devices hooked up through HDMI ? I am using Windows Vista.
Curious

Re: HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
Isn't the HDMI port on your computer an output only HDMI port?
"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a HD Camcorder. I bought Pinnacle Studio Ultimate to edit
> my film. I am able to connect my camcorder to my laptop using USB, but the
> software doesn't recognize my camera. It says I need to use Firewire or
> 1394
> port. When I hook my camera up with HDMI, the camera and computer do not
> recognize each other. I know the HDMI works, because I've used it for my
> TV.
> I am not sure what the Firewire port is, or if my laptop has on?
> I much rather use my HDMI port. Is there a way I can get my computer to
> recognize devices hooked up through HDMI ? I am using Windows Vista.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
There is an article with an excellent picture of a firewire port and cable
here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

You do not say anything about your computer so no one can say if you even
have a firewire port. Almost all recent computers do, however.

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a HD Camcorder. I bought Pinnacle Studio Ultimate to edit
> my film. I am able to connect my camcorder to my laptop using USB, but the
> software doesn't recognize my camera. It says I need to use Firewire or
> 1394
> port. When I hook my camera up with HDMI, the camera and computer do not
> recognize each other. I know the HDMI works, because I've used it for my
> TV.
> I am not sure what the Firewire port is, or if my laptop has on?
> I much rather use my HDMI port. Is there a way I can get my computer to
> recognize devices hooked up through HDMI ? I am using Windows Vista.

Curious

Re: HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
Colin,
Are you saying hat most of the current generation of Laptops have Firewire
ports so the OP's laptop may have one. If yes then Jason needs to consult
his Laptops user manual for details.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> There is an article with an excellent picture of a firewire port and cable
> here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire
>
> You do not say anything about your computer so no one can say if you even
> have a firewire port. Almost all recent computers do, however.
>
> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I recently bought a HD Camcorder. I bought Pinnacle Studio Ultimate to
>>edit
>> my film. I am able to connect my camcorder to my laptop using USB, but
>> the
>> software doesn't recognize my camera. It says I need to use Firewire or
>> 1394
>> port. When I hook my camera up with HDMI, the camera and computer do not
>> recognize each other. I know the HDMI works, because I've used it for my
>> TV.
>> I am not sure what the Firewire port is, or if my laptop has on?
>> I much rather use my HDMI port. Is there a way I can get my computer to
>> recognize devices hooked up through HDMI ? I am using Windows Vista.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
That is what I am saying and yes he should check his setup sheet since that
is where he should see an explanation of all the buttons and ports. You
know, the one with all views of the computer (sides, top, bottom).

"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Colin,
> Are you saying hat most of the current generation of Laptops have Firewire
> ports so the OP's laptop may have one. If yes then Jason needs to consult
> his Laptops user manual for details.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> There is an article with an excellent picture of a firewire port and
>> cable here:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire
>>
>> You do not say anything about your computer so no one can say if you even
>> have a firewire port. Almost all recent computers do, however.
>>
>> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I recently bought a HD Camcorder. I bought Pinnacle Studio Ultimate to
>>>edit
>>> my film. I am able to connect my camcorder to my laptop using USB, but
>>> the
>>> software doesn't recognize my camera. It says I need to use Firewire or
>>> 1394
>>> port. When I hook my camera up with HDMI, the camera and computer do not
>>> recognize each other. I know the HDMI works, because I've used it for my
>>> TV.
>>> I am not sure what the Firewire port is, or if my laptop has on?
>>> I much rather use my HDMI port. Is there a way I can get my computer to
>>> recognize devices hooked up through HDMI ? I am using Windows Vista.

Richard G. Harper

Re: HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
The HDMI port on your computer is an OUT port, not an IN port. Just as you
cannot connect an HDMI cable from one DVD player to another, you cannot hook
your camera up to the computer using this port.

As others have suggested, you need to check your computer/manual/support
site to see if you have a firewire port to connect the camera to.

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a HD Camcorder. I bought Pinnacle Studio Ultimate to edit
> my film. I am able to connect my camcorder to my laptop using USB, but the
> software doesn't recognize my camera. It says I need to use Firewire or
> 1394
> port. When I hook my camera up with HDMI, the camera and computer do not
> recognize each other. I know the HDMI works, because I've used it for my
> TV.
> I am not sure what the Firewire port is, or if my laptop has on?
> I much rather use my HDMI port. Is there a way I can get my computer to
> recognize devices hooked up through HDMI ? I am using Windows Vista.

Jason

Re: HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
Thanks everyone for replying to my question. I gave all of you a (yes)
helpful feedback. Ok. My computer does not have a firewire port. Thanks for
clearing up that my HDMI port on my laptop does not recieve.
I do have a SD disk space on my laptop, and my camera takes one too. Maybe
that will work, sense the USB will not.....

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> The HDMI port on your computer is an OUT port, not an IN port. Just as you
> cannot connect an HDMI cable from one DVD player to another, you cannot hook
> your camera up to the computer using this port.
>
> As others have suggested, you need to check your computer/manual/support
> site to see if you have a firewire port to connect the camera to.

> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently bought a HD Camcorder. I bought Pinnacle Studio Ultimate to edit
> > my film. I am able to connect my camcorder to my laptop using USB, but the
> > software doesn't recognize my camera. It says I need to use Firewire or
> > 1394
> > port. When I hook my camera up with HDMI, the camera and computer do not
> > recognize each other. I know the HDMI works, because I've used it for my
> > TV.
> > I am not sure what the Firewire port is, or if my laptop has on?
> > I much rather use my HDMI port. Is there a way I can get my computer to
> > recognize devices hooked up through HDMI ? I am using Windows Vista.

Jason

Re: HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
Is it difficult to add a 1394 port to laptop?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> That is what I am saying and yes he should check his setup sheet since that
> is where he should see an explanation of all the buttons and ports. You
> know, the one with all views of the computer (sides, top, bottom).
>
> "Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > Colin,
> > Are you saying hat most of the current generation of Laptops have Firewire
> > ports so the OP's laptop may have one. If yes then Jason needs to consult
> > his Laptops user manual for details.
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> There is an article with an excellent picture of a firewire port and
> >> cable here:
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire
> >>
> >> You do not say anything about your computer so no one can say if you even
> >> have a firewire port. Almost all recent computers do, however.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
No. If you have an ExpressCard or PCMCIA slot you can buy a two port
fireware card from many sources.
See: http://www.firewire-1394.com/cards-f...ok-cardbus.htm

> Is it difficult to add a 1394 port to laptop?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> That is what I am saying and yes he should check his setup sheet since
>> that
>> is where he should see an explanation of all the buttons and ports. You
>> know, the one with all views of the computer (sides, top, bottom).
>>
>> "Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> > Colin,
>> > Are you saying hat most of the current generation of Laptops have
>> > Firewire
>> > ports so the OP's laptop may have one. If yes then Jason needs to
>> > consult
>> > his Laptops user manual for details.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?
You should be able to add a firewire card. See my other reply.