Nikon D40 not recognized - MTP/PTP not working?

Gerard

Nikon D40 not recognized - MTP/PTP not working?
The D40 is a MTP/PTP device. When I connect it, Vista asks for a driver CD.
The CD with the camera does not have a (correct) driver. I thought that
MTP/PTP devices were recognized by Vista (Home Premium) without additional
drivers?

Some web searches suggested that a mdwmdmsp.dll should be present on my
system -- search cannot find it.

Any ideas on how I can see that MTP drivers, WMDM service providers etc are
present on my system?
Gerard

RE: Nikon D40 not recognized - MTP/PTP not working?
in addition:

I did find a wpdmtp.inf file in
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wpd mtp.inf_3eba85bf and
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wpd mtp.inf_20006c56

These inf files relate to USB class 6 subclass 1 prot 1 devices, exactly
what device manager should for my camera.

You cannot install driver this through the context menu of the INF file. Any
way to get windows polite enough to take this driver?

BTW: it is a dutch version of Vista

"Gerard" wrote:

> The D40 is a MTP/PTP device. When I connect it, Vista asks for a driver CD.
> The CD with the camera does not have a (correct) driver. I thought that
> MTP/PTP devices were recognized by Vista (Home Premium) without additional
> drivers?
>
> Some web searches suggested that a mdwmdmsp.dll should be present on my
> system -- search cannot find it.
>
> Any ideas on how I can see that MTP drivers, WMDM service providers etc are
> present on my system?

Gerard

RE: Nikon D40 not recognized - MTP/PTP not working?
SOLVED: I did the following:
Copy the contents of
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wpd mtp.inf_3eba85bf to a
temporary directory. Connect the camera, when it asks for the CD, tell it you
don't have one and want to point to a location yourself. Enter the name of
the temporary directory. Now VISTA installs the driver and the camera can be
accessed!

"Gerard" wrote:

> in addition:
>
> I did find a wpdmtp.inf file in
> C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wpd mtp.inf_3eba85bf and
> C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wpd mtp.inf_20006c56
>
> These inf files relate to USB class 6 subclass 1 prot 1 devices, exactly
> what device manager should for my camera.
>
> You cannot install driver this through the context menu of the INF file. Any
> way to get windows polite enough to take this driver?
>
> BTW: it is a dutch version of Vista
>

> "Gerard" wrote:
>
> > The D40 is a MTP/PTP device. When I connect it, Vista asks for a driver CD.
> > The CD with the camera does not have a (correct) driver. I thought that
> > MTP/PTP devices were recognized by Vista (Home Premium) without additional
> > drivers?
> >
> > Some web searches suggested that a mdwmdmsp.dll should be present on my
> > system -- search cannot find it.
> >
> > Any ideas on how I can see that MTP drivers, WMDM service providers etc are
> > present on my system?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Nikon D40 not recognized - MTP/PTP not working?
Good job!