Only Recording Left Channel

Dover Jeff

Only Recording Left Channel
I'm trying to record from my turntable (through my receiver's headphone jack)
to my Dell XPS-420 using Roxio Creator Premier 9. The stereo is cabled into
my computer's line-in jack.

For some reason I'm only seeing volume in the left channel. Could this be
my cabling? I'm using the extension cable (1/4") which I use with my
headphones so I know that one is stereo. This is attached to an extender
(1/8" male on each end) which I assume is also sending a stereo signal--but
could this be the culprit?

Sorry that this is perhaps more of an electronics Q than a Vista Q but I
wasn't sure where to go with it, except maybe Dell's forum.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Only Recording Left Channel
Is the line in jack KNOWN to be stereo? Most of the notebooks I've come
across have stereo out but only mono in.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Dover Jeff" <Dover Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to record from my turntable (through my receiver's headphone
> jack)
> to my Dell XPS-420 using Roxio Creator Premier 9. The stereo is cabled
> into
> my computer's line-in jack.
>
> For some reason I'm only seeing volume in the left channel. Could this be
> my cabling? I'm using the extension cable (1/4") which I use with my
> headphones so I know that one is stereo. This is attached to an extender
> (1/8" male on each end) which I assume is also sending a stereo
> signal--but
> could this be the culprit?
>
> Sorry that this is perhaps more of an electronics Q than a Vista Q but I
> wasn't sure where to go with it, except maybe Dell's forum.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dover Jeff

Re: Only Recording Left Channel
Hi Carl,
Thanks for replying. My Dell XPS-420 is a desktop and, if memory serves me
correctly, I have successfully recorded in stereo through the "line-in"
previously. My recording levels are set the same on both channels.

Today I purchased a "Y" adapter and phone plug coupler so I do have the
option of patching from my turntable aux outputs to the computer instead of
from my receiver's headphone jack.

Any ideas? Thanks for your assistance.

Jeff

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Is the line in jack KNOWN to be stereo? Most of the notebooks I've come
> across have stereo out but only mono in.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Dover Jeff" <Dover Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to record from my turntable (through my receiver's headphone
> > jack)
> > to my Dell XPS-420 using Roxio Creator Premier 9. The stereo is cabled
> > into
> > my computer's line-in jack.
> >
> > For some reason I'm only seeing volume in the left channel. Could this be
> > my cabling? I'm using the extension cable (1/4") which I use with my
> > headphones so I know that one is stereo. This is attached to an extender
> > (1/8" male on each end) which I assume is also sending a stereo
> > signal--but
> > could this be the culprit?
> >
> > Sorry that this is perhaps more of an electronics Q than a Vista Q but I
> > wasn't sure where to go with it, except maybe Dell's forum.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Curious

Re: Only Recording Left Channel
Is the minipin on the Y adapter a 2 wire or 3 pin? If only 2 wire then you
will only get one channel.
> Hi Carl,
> Thanks for replying. My Dell XPS-420 is a desktop and, if memory serves
> me
> correctly, I have successfully recorded in stereo through the "line-in"
> previously. My recording levels are set the same on both channels.
>
> Today I purchased a "Y" adapter and phone plug coupler so I do have the
> option of patching from my turntable aux outputs to the computer instead
> of
> from my receiver's headphone jack.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks for your assistance.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Is the line in jack KNOWN to be stereo? Most of the notebooks I've come
>> across have stereo out but only mono in.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
>> www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "Dover Jeff" <Dover Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm trying to record from my turntable (through my receiver's headphone
>> > jack)
>> > to my Dell XPS-420 using Roxio Creator Premier 9. The stereo is cabled
>> > into
>> > my computer's line-in jack.
>> >
>> > For some reason I'm only seeing volume in the left channel. Could this
>> > be
>> > my cabling? I'm using the extension cable (1/4") which I use with my
>> > headphones so I know that one is stereo. This is attached to an
>> > extender
>> > (1/8" male on each end) which I assume is also sending a stereo
>> > signal--but
>> > could this be the culprit?
>> >
>> > Sorry that this is perhaps more of an electronics Q than a Vista Q but
>> > wasn't sure where to go with it, except maybe Dell's forum.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dover Jeff

Re: Only Recording Left Channel
The Y adapter packaging says, "1/8 inch stereo phone plug".

"Curious" wrote:

> Is the minipin on the Y adapter a 2 wire or 3 pin? If only 2 wire then you
> will only get one channel.
> "Dover Jeff" <DoverJeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Carl,
> > Thanks for replying. My Dell XPS-420 is a desktop and, if memory serves
> > me
> > correctly, I have successfully recorded in stereo through the "line-in"
> > previously. My recording levels are set the same on both channels.
> >
> > Today I purchased a "Y" adapter and phone plug coupler so I do have the
> > option of patching from my turntable aux outputs to the computer instead
> > of
> > from my receiver's headphone jack.
> >
> > Any ideas? Thanks for your assistance.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Is the line in jack KNOWN to be stereo? Most of the notebooks I've come
> >> across have stereo out but only mono in.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> >> www.coribright.com/windows

Cal Bear '66

Re: Only Recording Left Channel
Are there TWO insulation rings (stereo) on the 1/8-inch plug itself? Or only
ONE (mono)? It could be a stereo to mono plug, in which case you would only
get the left channel.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

> The Y adapter packaging says, "1/8 inch stereo phone plug".
>
> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> Is the minipin on the Y adapter a 2 wire or 3 pin? If only 2 wire then you
>> will only get one channel.
>> "Dover Jeff" <DoverJeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Carl,
>> > Thanks for replying. My Dell XPS-420 is a desktop and, if memory serves
>> > me
>> > correctly, I have successfully recorded in stereo through the "line-in"
>> > previously. My recording levels are set the same on both channels.
>> >
>> > Today I purchased a "Y" adapter and phone plug coupler so I do have the
>> > option of patching from my turntable aux outputs to the computer instead
>> > of
>> > from my receiver's headphone jack.
>> >
>> > Any ideas? Thanks for your assistance.
>> >
>> > Jeff

Dover Jeff

Re: Only Recording Left Channel
"Cal Bear '66',
Thank you. That was super-helpful! I never knew that about the
rings--"dah". The Y adapter is two-ringed; however, it turns out not to be
the connection I need due to the way my receiver connections are set up. The
only extender I had was mono so I have to buy a stereo one. At least now I
know what to look for. Thanks again.
Jeff

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Are there TWO insulation rings (stereo) on the 1/8-inch plug itself? Or only
> ONE (mono)? It could be a stereo to mono plug, in which case you would only
> get the left channel.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Dover Jeff" <DoverJeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The Y adapter packaging says, "1/8 inch stereo phone plug".
> >
> > "Curious" wrote:
> >
> >> Is the minipin on the Y adapter a 2 wire or 3 pin? If only 2 wire then you
> >> will only get one channel.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Only Recording Left Channel
You're very welcome -- glad to help.