> I need some advice on how to fix the sound on my computer. I recently
> cleared some space on my computer by deleting programs I didn't use, but
> nothing to do with the sound. Now I lost sound and when I try to play
> music or a DVD the video will play but no sound. The message says a sound
> device isn't installed or is being used by another program comes up. I
> have tried all of the troubleshooting tips the computer told me, but they
> don't work. Any advice?
Reinstall your sound card drivers. Here's general information about drivers:
Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:
1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).
Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.
To find out what hardware is in your computer:
1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.
- Belarc Advisor
- System Information for Windows
Elephant Boy Computers