Audio Drivers, Vista SP1 32 bit

BWeber

Audio Drivers, Vista SP1 32 bit
Hi all,
I'm having a problem with the audio drivers on my custom built machine.
Until about 3 days ago, I was using the motherboard's onboard audio. Then I
tried to install a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card. This failed and
none of the drivers I tried worked. So I thought to revert to the onboard
sound. Well, now that's broken too. The first audio driver I installed when I
first built the machine was for a C-Media 9880 sound chip, which is what the
MOBO manufacturer's website lists as the installed chip. During the install
of the Creative card, I disabled the onboard audio to avoid conflicts. When I
re-enabled the onboard after giving up on the Creative, it came up as a
Realtek AC97 audio chipset. Windows automatically found drivers for this
card, and the sound properties showed that the AC97 was the output device.
However, no sound was output from the system. Then, Windows update shows
there is an update for the driver, so I install that and now, the chip is
giving an Error Code 10, Device will not start. I've read other places this
is caused by a driver conflict - however, as far as I know there are no other
audio drivers installed on the system (I uninstalled the Creative drivers).
Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Cheers!
Bryan
Rojo Habe

Re: Audio Drivers, Vista SP1 32 bit
I don't suppose you have a System Restore point dated before you installed
the SoundBlaster? The Creative installer may even have created one for you.

"BWeber" <BWeber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm having a problem with the audio drivers on my custom built machine.
> Until about 3 days ago, I was using the motherboard's onboard audio. Then
> tried to install a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card. This failed
> and
> none of the drivers I tried worked. So I thought to revert to the onboard
> sound. Well, now that's broken too. The first audio driver I installed
> when I
> first built the machine was for a C-Media 9880 sound chip, which is what
> the
> MOBO manufacturer's website lists as the installed chip. During the
> install
> of the Creative card, I disabled the onboard audio to avoid conflicts.
> When I
> re-enabled the onboard after giving up on the Creative, it came up as a
> Realtek AC97 audio chipset. Windows automatically found drivers for this
> card, and the sound properties showed that the AC97 was the output device.
> However, no sound was output from the system. Then, Windows update shows
> there is an update for the driver, so I install that and now, the chip is
> giving an Error Code 10, Device will not start. I've read other places
> this
> is caused by a driver conflict - however, as far as I know there are no
> other
> audio drivers installed on the system (I uninstalled the Creative
> drivers).
> Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?
>
> Cheers!
> Bryan

Nonny

Re: Audio Drivers, Vista SP1 32 bit
On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:04:00 -0700, BWeber
<BWeber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I'm having a problem with the audio drivers on my custom built machine.
>Until about 3 days ago, I was using the motherboard's onboard audio. Then I
>tried to install a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card. This failed and
>none of the drivers I tried worked. So I thought to revert to the onboard
>sound. Well, now that's broken too. The first audio driver I installed when I
>first built the machine was for a C-Media 9880 sound chip, which is what the
>MOBO manufacturer's website lists as the installed chip. During the install
>of the Creative card, I disabled the onboard audio to avoid conflicts. When I
>re-enabled the onboard after giving up on the Creative, it came up as a
>Realtek AC97 audio chipset. Windows automatically found drivers for this
>card, and the sound properties showed that the AC97 was the output device.
>However, no sound was output from the system. Then, Windows update shows
>there is an update for the driver, so I install that and now, the chip is
>giving an Error Code 10, Device will not start. I've read other places this
>is caused by a driver conflict - however, as far as I know there are no other
>audio drivers installed on the system (I uninstalled the Creative drivers).
>Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Do you have an available restore point that precedes your messing
around 3 days ago?
BWeber

Re: Audio Drivers, Vista SP1 32 bit
Unfortunately, System Restore was not turned on. So, no restore point. Any
other advice?

Thanks!
Bryan

"Rojo Habe" wrote:

> I don't suppose you have a System Restore point dated before you installed
> the SoundBlaster? The Creative installer may even have created one for you.
>

> "BWeber" <BWeber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I'm having a problem with the audio drivers on my custom built machine.
> > Until about 3 days ago, I was using the motherboard's onboard audio. Then
> > tried to install a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card. This failed
> > and
> > none of the drivers I tried worked. So I thought to revert to the onboard
> > sound. Well, now that's broken too. The first audio driver I installed
> > when I
> > first built the machine was for a C-Media 9880 sound chip, which is what
> > the
> > MOBO manufacturer's website lists as the installed chip. During the
> > install
> > of the Creative card, I disabled the onboard audio to avoid conflicts.
> > When I
> > re-enabled the onboard after giving up on the Creative, it came up as a
> > Realtek AC97 audio chipset. Windows automatically found drivers for this
> > card, and the sound properties showed that the AC97 was the output device.
> > However, no sound was output from the system. Then, Windows update shows
> > there is an update for the driver, so I install that and now, the chip is
> > giving an Error Code 10, Device will not start. I've read other places
> > this
> > is caused by a driver conflict - however, as far as I know there are no
> > other
> > audio drivers installed on the system (I uninstalled the Creative
> > drivers).
> > Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?
> >
> > Cheers!
> > Bryan

Nonny

Re: Audio Drivers, Vista SP1 32 bit
On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:56:00 -0700, BWeber
<BWeber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately, System Restore was not turned on. So, no restore point. Any
>other advice?

And, of course, you also have no backup.

Two items to put on your "DO List" once you get things sorted out.