Keyboard not connected to computer

Robert Johnson

Keyboard not connected to computer
I bought a brand new Windows Vista Home Premium a couple of days ago, and it
was working fine, until the day I turn it on and the keyboard isn't
connected. The mouse also wasn't working a few times, but the keyboard
refuses to respond at all. I tried everything I could think of that might
work.
Curious

Re: Keyboard not connected to computer
Is a USB keyboard and Mouse?
If yes shutdown the computer and then unplug it.
After it has been unplugged for 20 minutes hold down the on/off switch for
30 seconds.
Then plug the computer back it and try it.
"Robert Johnson" <Robert Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a brand new Windows Vista Home Premium a couple of days ago, and
>it
> was working fine, until the day I turn it on and the keyboard isn't
> connected. The mouse also wasn't working a few times, but the keyboard
> refuses to respond at all. I tried everything I could think of that might
> work.

Robert Johnson

Re: Keyboard not connected to computer
no it's wired. just yesterday everything was working fine until today. the
computer, mouse, and keyboard all came in one package, so i doubt it has to
do with compatibility

"Curious" wrote:

> Is a USB keyboard and Mouse?
> If yes shutdown the computer and then unplug it.
> After it has been unplugged for 20 minutes hold down the on/off switch for
> 30 seconds.
> Then plug the computer back it and try it.
> "Robert Johnson" <Robert Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a brand new Windows Vista Home Premium a couple of days ago, and
> >it
> > was working fine, until the day I turn it on and the keyboard isn't
> > connected. The mouse also wasn't working a few times, but the keyboard
> > refuses to respond at all. I tried everything I could think of that might
> > work.

Curious

Re: Keyboard not connected to computer
What do you mean its wired? I assumed that you were not using wireless but I
asked if your wired connections were to USB ports or to round PS2 ports.
> no it's wired. just yesterday everything was working fine until today. the
> computer, mouse, and keyboard all came in one package, so i doubt it has
> do with compatibility
>
> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> Is a USB keyboard and Mouse?
>> If yes shutdown the computer and then unplug it.
>> After it has been unplugged for 20 minutes hold down the on/off switch
>> for
>> 30 seconds.
>> Then plug the computer back it and try it.
>> "Robert Johnson" <Robert Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I bought a brand new Windows Vista Home Premium a couple of days ago,
>> >and
>> >it
>> > was working fine, until the day I turn it on and the keyboard isn't
>> > connected. The mouse also wasn't working a few times, but the keyboard
>> > refuses to respond at all. I tried everything I could think of that
>> > might
>> > work.

Robert Johnson

Re: Keyboard not connected to computer
sorry, this picture explains what i mean
http://support.gateway.com/support/m...mages/ps2mouse

"Curious" wrote:

> What do you mean its wired? I assumed that you were not using wireless but I
> asked if your wired connections were to USB ports or to round PS2 ports.
> "Robert Johnson" <RobertJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > no it's wired. just yesterday everything was working fine until today. the
> > computer, mouse, and keyboard all came in one package, so i doubt it has
> > do with compatibility
> >
> > "Curious" wrote:
> >
> >> Is a USB keyboard and Mouse?
> >> If yes shutdown the computer and then unplug it.
> >> After it has been unplugged for 20 minutes hold down the on/off switch
> >> for
> >> 30 seconds.
> >> Then plug the computer back it and try it.
> >> "Robert Johnson" <Robert Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Robert Johnson

Re: Keyboard not connected to computer
sorry
http://support.gateway.com/support/m...s/ps2mouse.jpg

"Robert Johnson" wrote:

> sorry, this picture explains what i mean
> http://support.gateway.com/support/m...mages/ps2mouse
>
> "Curious" wrote:
>
> > What do you mean its wired? I assumed that you were not using wireless but I
> > asked if your wired connections were to USB ports or to round PS2 ports.
> > "Robert Johnson" <RobertJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > no it's wired. just yesterday everything was working fine until today. the
> > > computer, mouse, and keyboard all came in one package, so i doubt it has
> > > do with compatibility

Justbob30

Re: Keyboard not connected to computer
That is a ps2 connection, I did not know they were still in common use on
new computers.....I would see if I can find a usb keyboard mouse & see if
they work. Either way, call Gateway or take it back to the store you bought
it from.

"Robert Johnson" <Robert Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I bought a brand new Windows Vista Home Premium a couple of days ago, and
> it
> was working fine, until the day I turn it on and the keyboard isn't
> connected. The mouse also wasn't working a few times, but the keyboard
> refuses to respond at all. I tried everything I could think of that might
> work.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Keyboard not connected to computer
Those are the PS/2 ports. The oldest and most reliable way to connect a
keyboard and mouse. If you have access to another keyboard or mouse, or
both, you should try them. If they are usb, that's OK. Report back on the
results.

> sorry
> http://support.gateway.com/support/m...s/ps2mouse.jpg
>
> "Robert Johnson" wrote:
>
>> sorry, this picture explains what i mean
>> http://support.gateway.com/support/m...mages/ps2mouse
>>
>> "Curious" wrote:
>>
>> > What do you mean its wired? I assumed that you were not using wireless
>> > but I
>> > asked if your wired connections were to USB ports or to round PS2
>> > ports.
>> > "Robert Johnson" <RobertJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Keyboard not connected to computer
They are still standard on mobos. I make sure I have them and have a floppy
drive even on my new Core 2 Quad machines.

"Justbob30" <NoThank@you.com> wrote in message
> That is a ps2 connection, I did not know they were still in common use on
> new computers.....I would see if I can find a usb keyboard mouse & see if
> they work. Either way, call Gateway or take it back to the store you
> bought it from.
>
> "Robert Johnson" <Robert Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:4D4B1200-485B-4C1F-8591-A08B184D1C7B@microsoft.com...
>> I bought a brand new Windows Vista Home Premium a couple of days ago, and
>> it
>> was working fine, until the day I turn it on and the keyboard isn't
>> connected. The mouse also wasn't working a few times, but the keyboard
>> refuses to respond at all. I tried everything I could think of that might
>> work.

Anonymous

Re: Keyboard not connected to computer
actually, it started working again after i turned off the computer for a
while, this happened a few times with my old computer