more hard drive failure

njnitehawk

more hard drive failure
i have a new system(see info below) 1.5 months old

my wd 500 gig sata 11 is failing

i have been running into problems installing sp1

d/l several times

i bought sp1 from ms

i have run tests with one care it stated no problem

i ran sfc it stated some errors that could not be fixed

i ran other test on line also stated no problem

i d/l wd diag tools it stated a problem

i called wd support they confirmed the hd is failing

my question is could i have known about this hd failure from the beginning or

the way things happened was the only way

and could the hd being defective be my problem for not being able to install
sp1

i would like to help myself as well as others not knowing that there maybe a
problem

gigabyte x38t-dq6 w/
Realtek ALC889A codec
intel core2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz
4gb ddr3 Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX (4)
nvidia geforce 8800gt 512mb
500gb wd hd
250gb wd hd
vista 64-bit ulimate
pioneer dvd-rw dvr215d
lite-on cd-rw sohr
samsung 21.3 screen
creative inspire pt7800 7.1
plus 2.1 addtional speakers
hp officejet j5750
cable
microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard 60000
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Corsair CMPSU-750TX
not overclocked
5.7 score
Dustin Harper

Re: more hard drive failure

Hard drives can go bad. You should be able to get an RMA on the drive, it
was probably faulty from the start. You can log into the Western Digital
website and do it from there, as long as it is not an OEM HD. They are
usually very fast at getting you a replacement. You should be able to do a
backup to a external hard drive, or to DVD's and then restore to the new HD
when it comes.

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

"njnitehawk" <njnitehawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a new system(see info below) 1.5 months old
>
> my wd 500 gig sata 11 is failing
>
> i have been running into problems installing sp1
>
> d/l several times
>
> i bought sp1 from ms
>
> i have run tests with one care it stated no problem
>
> i ran sfc it stated some errors that could not be fixed
>
> i ran other test on line also stated no problem
>
> i d/l wd diag tools it stated a problem
>
> i called wd support they confirmed the hd is failing
>
> my question is could i have known about this hd failure from the beginning
> or
>
> the way things happened was the only way
>
> and could the hd being defective be my problem for not being able to
> install
> sp1
>
> i would like to help myself as well as others not knowing that there maybe
> problem
>
> gigabyte x38t-dq6 w/
> Realtek ALC889A codec
> intel core2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz
> 4gb ddr3 Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX (4)
> nvidia geforce 8800gt 512mb
> 500gb wd hd
> 250gb wd hd
> vista 64-bit ulimate
> pioneer dvd-rw dvr215d
> lite-on cd-rw sohr
> samsung 21.3 screen
> creative inspire pt7800 7.1
> plus 2.1 addtional speakers
> hp officejet j5750
> cable
> microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard 60000
> Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
> Corsair CMPSU-750TX
> not overclocked
> 5.7 score

John Barnett MVP

Re: more hard drive failure
Hard drive failure can occur at any time and there isn't a hard and fast way
of knowing that it is going to fail. As an example, I purchased a brand new
PC about 4 months ago, got it home and everything was fine. The next day I
booted up the machine and got a 'can't find operating system' error. As I
hadn't added any of my usual software my easiest option was to use the
recovery disk that came with my system to re-install the operating system.
This took around 15 minutes to do and everything was fine again. After 2
hours on the PC I closed it down. 3 hours later when I re-booted up I got
the same 'can't find operating system' error, so again I used the recovery
disk and put things right. This happened for 3 days running. After this
length of time I was becoming extremely frustrated so I download Seagate'
Sea Tool diagnostics (the drive was a Seagate SATA). The first pass
discovered nothing. At this point I had had enough so I packed the PC into
it's box and took it back to the store. I spent two hours at the store
trying to convince them that something was wrong. I even watched them do a
sea tool diagnostic test and, again, I came up blank. The were all for
packing me off for wasting their time when the technician rather rudely
pointed out that 'you are not a technician so you don' know what you are
talking about. The PC is fine.' That 'really' but my back up, so I proceeded
to give the technician my business card and list of credentials and asking
'what part of those credentials give you the impression that I haven't a
clue what I am talking about?' I suggest you do an advanced sea tool
diagnostic and keep running it until the error pops up, because I'm not
leaving until you sort the problem. Fif**** minutes later an apologetic
technician return and said 'yes you were right the hard drive has a bad
sector.' The PC was replaced and everything worked fine.

From your previous posts I gather you have used the Western Digital
Diagnostics and an error was returned. Obviously You have contacted western
digital and they are in the process of sorting the problem out.

If SP1 is trying to write to a bad sector on your drive then this 'may' be
the reason installation fails. It can also be due to drivers that need
updating on our system. You may like to look at this knowledge base article
to see if anything applies to your system:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343 Also take a look at this link to:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert