hard drive failure

njnitehawk

hard drive failure

i have a new system(see info below) 1.5 months old

my wd 500 gig sata 11 is failing

i have been running into problems installing sp1

d/l several times

i bought sp1 from ms

i have run tests with one care it stated no problem

i ran sfc it stated some errors that could not be fixed

i ran other test on line also stated no problem

i d/l wd diag tools it stated a problem

i called wd support they confirmed the hd is failing

my question is could i have known about this hd failure from the
beginning or

the way things happened was the only way

and could the hd being defective be my problem for not being able to
install sp1

i would like to help myself as well as others not knowing that there
maybe a problem

--
njnitehawk

gigabyte x38t-dq6 w/
Realtek ALC889A codec
intel core2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz
4gb ddr3 Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX (4)
nvidia geforce 8800gt 512mb
500gb wd hd
250gb wd hd
vista 64-bit ulimate
pioneer dvd-rw dvr215d
lite-on cd-rw sohr
samsung 21.3 screen
creative inspire pt7800 7.1
plus 2.1 addtional speakers
hp officejet j5750
cable
microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard 60000
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Corsair CMPSU-750TX
not overclocked
5.7 score
425 geek score
propman

Re: hard drive failure

If the western digital hard drive diagnostic test pointed to the hard
drive failing with bad sectors, you wouldn't want to install without
taking steps to rectify the situation, especially anything as big and
important as a Service Pack.

The drive should still be under warranty....get it replaced immediately. :-)

njnitehawk wrote:
> i have a new system(see info below) 1.5 months old
>
> my wd 500 gig sata 11 is failing
>
> i have been running into problems installing sp1
>
> d/l several times
>
> i bought sp1 from ms
>
> i have run tests with one care it stated no problem
>
> i ran sfc it stated some errors that could not be fixed
>
> i ran other test on line also stated no problem
>
> i d/l wd diag tools it stated a problem
>
> i called wd support they confirmed the hd is failing
>
> my question is could i have known about this hd failure from the
> beginning or
>
> the way things happened was the only way
>
> and could the hd being defective be my problem for not being able to
> install sp1
>

> i would like to help myself as well as others not knowing that there
> maybe a problem

njnitehawk

Re: hard drive failure

thanks

wd diag stated

test error code 11

when i called wd

that when they told me that the drive is failing

rma is on it way