vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan.

abudahim

vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan.
hi
today i cleaned my cpu fan (wish i didn't) , after i put everything in its place, i run my machine and it started slowly.
also the games that was running fine now it runs very slow and i can't play it.
my base score is the same (4.3). i dont know what is wrong ?
any ideas ?
thank you

i forgot to tell you that my processor is pentuim 4. and my VGA is nvidia 8800 GTS.
and downloaded the latest drivers but nothing changed.

Dustin Harper

Re: vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan.
Did you remove the heatsink to clean the fan? If so, you may check to make
sure it is seated against the CPU perfect, as well as put a new layer of
thermal grease on it, too. The P4's slow down when they get too hot, and
after cleaning the fan, it sounds like that may be the problem.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

"abudahim" wrote in message news:uqlmIPdvIHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> hi
> today i cleaned my cpu fan (wish i didn't) , after i put everything in its
> place, i run my machine and it started slowly.
> also the games that was running fine now it runs very slow and i can't
> play it.
> my base score is the same (4.3). i dont know what is wrong ?
> any ideas ?
> thank you
>

> i forgot to tell you that my processor is pentuim 4. and my VGA is nvidia
> 8800 GTS.
> and downloaded the latest drivers but nothing changed.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

propman

Dustin Harper wrote:
> Did you remove the heatsink to clean the fan? If so, you may check to
> make sure it is seated against the CPU perfect, as well as put a new
> layer of thermal grease on it, too. The P4's slow down when they get too
> hot, and after cleaning the fan, it sounds like that may be the problem.

or the power to the fan is not connected......

Rick Rogers

Re: vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan.
Were that the case either the motherboard would detect the processor
overheating and shut down the system, or processor would fry rather quickly.

I'd recheck for any loose cabling or memory that was jarred during the
cleaning.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Dustin Harper wrote:
>> Did you remove the heatsink to clean the fan? If so, you may check to
>> make sure it is seated against the CPU perfect, as well as put a new
>> layer of thermal grease on it, too. The P4's slow down when they get too
>> hot, and after cleaning the fan, it sounds like that may be the problem.
>>

> or the power to the fan is not connected......

Dustin Harper

Re: vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan.

The P4's have a thermal protection scheme. The slow down to prevent the
frying of the processors. They will run, but very slow. The heatsink may be
just enough to keep it from shutting down, but not enough to keep it cool.