Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista x64 cannot connect to Windows 2003 x86 printer share

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2008
Jason Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Vista x64 cannot connect to Windows 2003 x86 printer share
Hi All,

I'm trying to access 64bit printer share that have been installed on a
Windows 2003 x86 server to my Vista Ultimate x64, but I continually
get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be
completed. (error 0x0000007e)". I have added the x64 drivers by doing
the following:

From my Vista x64 machine, surf to the \\server\printers. Right
clicked and went to server properties. On the driver tab, added a new
x64 driver. Pointed to the fresh downloaded driver for HP LaserJet
4250 made May 6th. After doing this, I still get that error message
above when I try to add the printer share to my Vista machine.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2008
propman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista x64 cannot connect to Windows 2003 x86 printer share
Jason Chambers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to access 64bit printer share that have been installed on a
> Windows 2003 x86 server to my Vista Ultimate x64, but I continually
> get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be
> completed. (error 0x0000007e)". I have added the x64 drivers by doing
> the following:
>
> From my Vista x64 machine, surf to the \\server\printers. Right
> clicked and went to server properties. On the driver tab, added a new
> x64 driver. Pointed to the fresh downloaded driver for HP LaserJet
> 4250 made May 6th. After doing this, I still get that error message
> above when I try to add the printer share to my Vista machine.
>
> Any suggestions?


Might be an obvious suggestion......

Did you run the file first to install it before trying to setup the
print. If you are pointing your setup to the actual file you download
from HP then it's no wonder it's not working as it's an executable file
(.exe) which contains the printer drivers. The drivers themselves have
to be "unpacked" from the exe file and then installed on the server.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2008
Jason Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista x64 cannot connect to Windows 2003 x86 printer share
On May 23, 2:45*pm, propman <prop...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Jason Chambers wrote:
> > Hi All,

>
> > I'm trying to access 64bit printer share that have been installed on a
> > Windows 2003 x86 server to my Vista Ultimate x64, but I continually
> > get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be
> > completed. (error 0x0000007e)". I have added the x64 drivers by doing
> > the following:

>
> > From my Vista x64 machine, surf to the \\server\printers. Right
> > clicked and went to server properties. On the driver tab, added a new
> > x64 driver. Pointed to the fresh downloaded driver for HP LaserJet
> > 4250 made May 6th. After doing this, I still get that error message
> > above when I try to add the printer share to my Vista machine.

>
> > Any suggestions?

>
> Might be an obvious suggestion......
>
> Did you run the file first to install it before trying to setup the
> print. *If you are pointing your setup to the actual file you download
> from HP then it's no wonder it's not working as it's an executable file
> (.exe) which contains the printer drivers. *The drivers themselves have
> to be "unpacked" from the exe file and then installed on the server.


Hi Propman,

I have sucessfully extracted and installed the drivers into the
server. The problem is when getting the clients to attach/install to
the printer shares this message comes up.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2008
propman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista x64 cannot connect to Windows 2003 x86 printer share
Jason Chambers wrote:
> On May 23, 2:45 pm, propman <prop...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> Jason Chambers wrote:
>>> Hi All,


> (.exe) which contains the printer drivers. The drivers themselves have
>> to be "unpacked" from the exe file and then installed on the server.

>
> Hi Propman,
>
> I have sucessfully extracted and installed the drivers into the
> server. The problem is when getting the clients to attach/install to
> the printer shares this message comes up.



Sorry not much use then.....and a little out of my depth to continue
without a lot of Google'ing on my part! :-)

Might want to try posting your query to.......

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

.........seems like there some rascals in that newsgroup who really know
their stuff. I'm subscribed to that newsgroup and so will be keeping an
eye out for further developments if you do decide to post there. :-)



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2008
Alan Morris [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista x64 cannot connect to Windows 2003 x86 printer share
something about the driver is still missing

winerror 0x0000007e
126 ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND <--> 0xc0000135 STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND


the driver names must match exactly. For the most part HP has this figured
out.


You can work around the issue by creating a local printer on the x64
machine. Create a Local Port in the name
\\server\printsharename

use the x64 driver you already have



--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Jason Chambers" <jchambers@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:8733ea1c-f051-4706-9000-26bb8d6e15bc@34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
On May 23, 2:45 pm, propman <prop...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Jason Chambers wrote:
> > Hi All,

>
> > I'm trying to access 64bit printer share that have been installed on a
> > Windows 2003 x86 server to my Vista Ultimate x64, but I continually
> > get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be
> > completed. (error 0x0000007e)". I have added the x64 drivers by doing
> > the following:

>
> > From my Vista x64 machine, surf to the \\server\printers. Right
> > clicked and went to server properties. On the driver tab, added a new
> > x64 driver. Pointed to the fresh downloaded driver for HP LaserJet
> > 4250 made May 6th. After doing this, I still get that error message
> > above when I try to add the printer share to my Vista machine.

>
> > Any suggestions?

>
> Might be an obvious suggestion......
>
> Did you run the file first to install it before trying to setup the
> print. If you are pointing your setup to the actual file you download
> from HP then it's no wonder it's not working as it's an executable file
> (.exe) which contains the printer drivers. The drivers themselves have
> to be "unpacked" from the exe file and then installed on the server.


Hi Propman,

I have sucessfully extracted and installed the drivers into the
server. The problem is when getting the clients to attach/install to
the printer shares this message comes up.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connect to a Vista PC using Windows Mobile 2003 Bill microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 04-25-2008 15:27
[Info] Error message when you try to connect to a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 through a RDP connection from a Windows Vista-based computer: "the remote computer you want to connect to cannot recognize credentials&q Javier InglÚs [MS MVP] microsoft.public.es.windowsvista 0 01-23-2008 09:03
Re: Cannot connect to XP Printer Share - error "Not Enough Memory" BillR microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 01-06-2008 02:49
Article ID: 934633 When you connect a USB multifunction printer device to a Windows Vista-based computer, a second instance of the printer object is created, and the first instance no longer works KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Can you share printer from Windows XP computer to a Vista Home pre Catmom7 microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 3 09-27-2007 03:02




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:05.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120