External Drive quite working

Rainy

External Drive quite working
A couple days ago, my computer refused to load Windows. I tried the "repair
mode" at start up and even tried the boot disk. I ended up driving 40 miles
to take it to a shop and when they hooked it up Windows was fine. I thought
all I lost was some time and gas but as it happens, my system no longer
recognizes my external drive. I've unplugged it, changed ports, done
everything and it's just not there anymore. I checked for drivers and I
supposedly have all the latest that I need.

I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer but does anyone have a
suggestion in the meantime? Both the computer and external drive are less
than 6 months old.
propman

Re: External Drive quite working
Rainy wrote:
> A couple days ago, my computer refused to load Windows. I tried the "repair
> mode" at start up and even tried the boot disk. I ended up driving 40 miles
> to take it to a shop and when they hooked it up Windows was fine. I thought
> all I lost was some time and gas but as it happens, my system no longer
> recognizes my external drive. I've unplugged it, changed ports, done
> everything and it's just not there anymore. I checked for drivers and I
> supposedly have all the latest that I need.
>
> I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer but does anyone have a
> suggestion in the meantime? Both the computer and external drive are less
> than 6 months old.

Common problem with moving a system is it gets flexed, shaken etc and
sometimes components lose part of that solid electrical contact they had
when still in their original location. This possibly could be your
problem.....if you are comfortable with doing so, I suggest you open up
the case and try to make sure that components are seated properly...pay
particular attention to any cards that are located in slots. A lot of
problems I have seen over the years have been cured just by removing the
said cards and then re-installing them (in fact, yesterday I received a
"problem solved" from a chap who moved his system to a new location in
his apartment and lost all video....upon my suggestion, he removed the
video card and then reinstalled it. Video was up and functioning right
away).

Another possibility to consider, is that the external HD's USB
cable/connector is broken/malfunctioning....if you haven't already done
so and have a spare applicable cable kicking around the old domestic,
try swapping them. And if you have a mutlimeter continuity check the
external's cable.

How about power getting to the external.....any lights, hard drive
activity sounds etc? If you have moved the external HD consider the
possibilities with respect to it and what I outlined above concerning
moving equipment. If the unit seems dead check the voltage of it's
power source with a mutlimeter. If you it plugged into an extension
cord, and/or power bar make sure the connections are tight, applicable
switches on etc.

One thing you could check also is Start - Control Panel - System -
Device Manager. Take a look to see if there are any exclamation marks
present on the entries....if there are, it could indicate missing
drivers, disabled device(s) etc.....and may have been caused when your
system originally barfed on bootup.

You also might want to try booting into "Safe Mode" to see if the drive
is recognized there.....it may not be due to any relevant drivers not
being loaded during the boot process and is normal. However if it is
present, it's presence may give a further clue as to what's happening
problem wise.

Would also be nice to know why the computer originally barfed but....... :-)

The last thing I'll mention concerns Vista and the installation of
Service Pack 1 (SP1). There seems to be a spate of problems with the
service pack and USB devices but my gut reaction at this time is that
your current problems don't indicate concerns in this area are
applicable.....always good to have an open mind though. :-)
Rainy

Re: External Drive quite working
Thank you for all the suggestions. The unit is getting power and I've
checked the device manager, and it doesn't even show up there. It's like it
disappeared. I spent hours yesterday checking drivers and trying to get help
from Microsoft (yeah right). I'll try the cable suggestion next. I hope
it's that simple!

Thanks again. It's nice to know there are people like you out there with
knowledge that you're willing to share!