DVD/CD-ROM Not Responding

SpyCatcher

DVD/CD-ROM Not Responding
I have the same problem in Vista X32 the DVD-Rom disappears and or will not
respond when a disc is in the drive; formatting and reinstalling the OS does
not solve the problem.

Unfortunately the fix that Rick Rogers listed DOES NOT WORK or FIX the
PROBLEM.

What I believe to be the problem is a conflict in the "storage controller
drivers"; in the device manager I have 2 listed "ITE IT8212 ATA RAID
Controller and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator".

Anyone have any ideas how to fix or disable MS initiator driver please share
your experience.

Sincerely,

Rick Rogers

Re: DVD/CD-ROM Not Responding
Hi,

If formatting and reinstalling does not resolve the issue, then you have a
hardware problem. Either the drive, the controller cable, or the motherboard
socket is bad. Reseating may help.

It is not unusual to have two listings of controller cables in Device
Manager if more than one cable is in use on the system. There would be one
listing for each. It'd only be an issue if the controller driver wasn't

Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"SpyCatcher" <onespycatcher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
newsBFA3AAB-711E-4B34-96BE-72EBD6A9AE82@microsoft.com...
>I have the same problem in Vista X32 the DVD-Rom disappears and or will not
> respond when a disc is in the drive; formatting and reinstalling the OS
> does
> not solve the problem.
>
> Unfortunately the fix that Rick Rogers listed DOES NOT WORK or FIX the
> PROBLEM.
>
> What I believe to be the problem is a conflict in the "storage controller
> drivers"; in the device manager I have 2 listed "ITE IT8212 ATA RAID
> Controller and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator".
>
> Anyone have any ideas how to fix or disable MS initiator driver please
> share
> your experience.
>
> Sincerely,

SpyCatcher

Re: DVD/CD-ROM Not Responding
Thank you for responding however your assumption that one or more hardware
items may have gone bad in my case is incorrect. If a hardware items had gone
bad I would NOT have been able to reinstall the OS. Therefore there may be a
driver conflict; if you have the time to research in other forums there will
be numerous listings indicating problems with DVD/CD-ROM and SATA drives that
have stopped responding.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If formatting and reinstalling does not resolve the issue, then you have a
> hardware problem. Either the drive, the controller cable, or the motherboard
> socket is bad. Reseating may help.
>
> It is not unusual to have two listings of controller cables in Device
> Manager if more than one cable is in use on the system. There would be one
> listing for each. It'd only be an issue if the controller driver wasn't

> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "SpyCatcher" <onespycatcher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> newsBFA3AAB-711E-4B34-96BE-72EBD6A9AE82@microsoft.com...
> >I have the same problem in Vista X32 the DVD-Rom disappears and or will not
> > respond when a disc is in the drive; formatting and reinstalling the OS
> > does
> > not solve the problem.
> >
> > Unfortunately the fix that Rick Rogers listed DOES NOT WORK or FIX the
> > PROBLEM.
> >
> > What I believe to be the problem is a conflict in the "storage controller
> > drivers"; in the device manager I have 2 listed "ITE IT8212 ATA RAID
> > Controller and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator".
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas how to fix or disable MS initiator driver please
> > share
> > your experience.
> >
> > Sincerely,

SpyCatcher

Re: DVD/CD-ROM Not Responding
I failed to mention when I uninstall one of the listed storage controller
drivers the DVD/CD-ROM drive will become active and stay operational until a
restart.