digital speakers and analogue headphones at the same time in vista

whiterabbit

digital speakers and analogue headphones at the same time in vista
my computer has a realtek alc 882 hd audio. i have speakers connected via
optical output - my speakers can decode dolby digital. i also have headphones
plugged into the headphone socket.

in windows xp if i wanted to be quiet i can turn the speakers off and hear
everything from the headphones. for films with dolby digital the sound would
be output by sp/dif and the speakers would decode - the headphones would be
silent while any dolby digital was playing. to get this working all i had to
do was enable digital output on the speakers settings for the drivers.

in vista i cant get sound to come from the headphones and speakers at the
same time. in vista i seem to have to 2 outputs to choose from - speaker and
digital output. if i set digital output then the speakers work and if playing
dolby digital stuff the dd light lights up on the speakers but the headphones
are silent. if i set speakers as the default the speakers go silent but the
headphones work.

how do i get it to work like xp did? clearly the hardware supports this
since it works fine in xp.
mikeyhsd

Re: digital speakers and analogue headphones at the same time in vista
most likely it is the difference in he drives from XP to Vista.

best to ask the manufacturer of the audio device or the driver supplier.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com