Anyone knows a good disaster recovery tool????

flora935

Anyone knows a good disaster recovery tool????

Hi people, I have a computer that was working very well, but lately when
I was working on a important project, there was a power fluctuation for
a couple of times (I thought that was normal) but after the last power
fluctuation my computer refused to boot up. There seems to be a failure
of some kind…..but I need to get the projects back that are still in
that disk.

I would be thankful if you could suggest any good tools to get the
files and documents back.

--
flora935
propman

Re: Anyone knows a good disaster recovery tool????
flora935 wrote:
> Hi people, I have a computer that was working very well, but lately when
> I was working on a important project, there was a power fluctuation for
> a couple of times (I thought that was normal) but after the last power
> fluctuation my computer refused to boot up. There seems to be a failure
> of some kind…..but I need to get the projects back that are still in
> that disk.
>
> I would be thankful if you could suggest any good tools to get the
> files and documents back.

Unless you have a confirmed hardware failure there are a couple of
things to try:

Try booting up into "Safe Mode". Press the F8 key when the cursor is
flashing on the top left hand side of the screen and before the Windows
logo appears.

If you have access to an emergency bootup disk (one may have come with
your system when you purchased it), use that to bootup, repair the
system etc. Depending on your resources with respect to accessing the
internet, you should be able to download a viable bootdisk from the
following location:

bootdisk.com

The manufacturer of your computer system may also have emergency
bootdisks available for downloading.

You also may be able to use a Linux Live CD to boot the system...that
way you can check to see if the harddrive itself is still functional.
They can be downloaded from:

ubuntu.com
kubuntu.com

If no success with these methods but have access to another computer,
install the hard drive in the replacement computer to retrieve the files
you wish to save.
Nonny

On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:06:34 GMT, propman <propman@nospam.com> wrote:

>> Hi people, I have a computer that was working very well, but lately when
>> I was working on a important project, there was a power fluctuation for
>> a couple of times (I thought that was normal) but after the last power
>> fluctuation my computer refused to boot up. There seems to be a failure
>> of some kind…..but I need to get the projects back that are still in
>> that disk.
>>
>> I would be thankful if you could suggest any good tools to get the
>> files and documents back.
>>

>Unless you have a confirmed hardware failure there are a couple of
>things to try:
>
>Try booting up into [snip of nothing helpful]

ALERT: his "computer refused to boot up"!!!

Richard G. Harper

Re: Anyone knows a good disaster recovery tool????
If you are unskilled at troubleshooting, seek assistance from someone who
is, especially if these documents are important to you. There are so many
potential problems that could be causing your issue, and some
troubleshooting steps that others may recommend could cause permanent loss
of the data you seek to recover.

"flora935" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi people, I have a computer that was working very well, but lately when
> I was working on a important project, there was a power fluctuation for
> a couple of times (I thought that was normal) but after the last power
> fluctuation my computer refused to boot up. There seems to be a failure
> of some kind…..but I need to get the projects back that are still in
> that disk.
>
> I would be thankful if you could suggest any good tools to get the
> files and documents back.
>

> --
> flora935

Rick Rogers

Re: Anyone knows a good disaster recovery tool????
Hi,

If you suspect a power supply issue, then you should be replacing that piece
of hardware. As the previous fluctuations may have damaged other components,
I would recommend that you find a local professional to check the system. It
may be a wise idea to remove the hard drive and image it prior to attempting
any repairs to guard against data loss. Voltage irregularities can severly
damage internal components, and it may not be visible.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Nonny wrote:
> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:06:34 GMT, propman <propman@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hi people, I have a computer that was working very well, but lately when
>>> I was working on a important project, there was a power fluctuation for
>>> a couple of times (I thought that was normal) but after the last power
>>> fluctuation my computer refused to boot up. There seems to be a failure
>>> of some kind…..but I need to get the projects back that are still in
>>> that disk.
>>>
>>> I would be thankful if you could suggest any good tools to get the
>>> files and documents back.
>>>

>> Unless you have a confirmed hardware failure there are a couple of
>> things to try:
>>
>> Try booting up into [snip of nothing helpful]

> ALERT: his "computer refused to boot up"!!!

yes and what of it.....boot up means come to a ready with the operating
system ready to go. A computer with no operating system will still turn
on and go through internal proceedures....of course it's going to barf
when it finds out it has no operating system to load but the computer
itself is physically fine.

The OP mentions "a failure of some kind".......which could span hardware
or software failures.

Power fluctuations can scrabble hard drive data info....but that doesn't
mean that any of his hardware has failed.

Rick Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you suspect a power supply issue, then you should be replacing that
> piece of hardware. As the previous fluctuations may have damaged other
> components, I would recommend that you find a local professional to
> check the system. It may be a wise idea to remove the hard drive and
> image it prior to attempting any repairs to guard against data loss.
> Voltage irregularities can severly damage internal components, and it
> may not be visible.

FWIW, they are more prone to scrabble data to written to a storage
medium such as a hard drive.

Richard G. Harper wrote:
> If you are unskilled at troubleshooting, seek assistance from someone
> who is, especially if these documents are important to you. There are
> so many potential problems that could be causing your issue, and some
> troubleshooting steps that others may recommend could cause permanent
> loss of the data you seek to recover.

He could always remove the hard drive before attempting to troubleshoot
it for the first time...... but I doubt that he did as one of the first
things most people do when their systems don't come up to full operating
state is shut down the system and then try rebooting....some more than once.

margaret3515

Re: Anyone knows a good disaster recovery tool????

This seems to be a case of disaster recovery. Disaster is just
un-avoidable form of error.This cannot be avoided but some precautions
can be taken. I think that, as this was due to a power fluctuation,
there may be an effect in the working parts of the disk. You should
consult a 'disaster recovery' (http://www.diskemergency.com/)company to
get your job done.This can be very frustating and may be worthless if
you try to get the data back by yourself and the situation gets worse.So
better take the safe route and get the projects saved in a reliable
way.

All The Best!!!!

--
margaret3515