problems with startup

simpson_eh

problems with startup
im using vista ultimate,sp1
athlon 64 3200+
2gig ram
7600 gt graphics card (512mb)
40 gig hd (just for os)

The problem i have is when i load windows it comes up fine, but if i open up
anything it freezes for 5-6 seonds then does it then freezes again and again
i have updated all my drivers, when its been on for say 5-10 mins its fine

seems to correspond with the vista update as soon as it pops up saying
updates available about 2 mins after that its fine

any ideas? getting to the point where im going to trash it and reload xp
propman

Re: problems with startup
simpson_eh wrote:
> im using vista ultimate,sp1
> athlon 64 3200+
> 2gig ram
> 7600 gt graphics card (512mb)
> 40 gig hd (just for os)
>
> The problem i have is when i load windows it comes up fine, but if i open up
> anything it freezes for 5-6 seonds then does it then freezes again and again
> i have updated all my drivers, when its been on for say 5-10 mins its fine
>
> seems to correspond with the vista update as soon as it pops up saying
> updates available about 2 mins after that its fine

then toggle the "automatic updates" off and see if the problem persists.
If it doesn't then you have narrowed down the problem area.....take it
from there.

> any ideas? getting to the point where im going to trash it and reload xp

dullpain

Re: problems with startup
It sounds like you are experiencing random freezes when your first boot. You
do not describe BSODs.
Regardless of OS, even Vista, if your hard drive is failing you may see this
kind of behavior so run a software test of the hard drive.
If I understand your post after the machine is on for ten minutes it works:
either enough heat has to be generated to expand something that may be
intermittently shorting or a mechanical device (?hard drive) has to spin
enough to overcome problems. Look inside your case to see if anything is
loose or not seated correctly; with laptops make sure nothing has loosened
holding the hard drive or optical drive.

t-4-2

Re: problems with startup

simpson_eh;718398 Wrote:
> im using vista ultimate,sp1
> athlon 64 3200+
> 2gig ram
> 7600 gt graphics card (512mb)
> 40 gig hd (just for os)
>
> The problem i have is when i load windows it comes up fine, but if i
> open up
> anything it freezes for 5-6 seonds then does it then freezes again and
> again
> i have updated all my drivers, when its been on for say 5-10 mins its
> fine
>
> seems to correspond with the vista update as soon as it pops up saying
> updates available about 2 mins after that its fine
>
> any ideas? getting to the point where im going to trash it and reload
> xp

Hello simpson,
MS is offering free support regarding SP1 issues. You can pick e-mail
support, chat support or phone support. Here is the link :

'Windows Vista Solution Center'
(http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab0)

Look under Update Vista, click " Free Support for Windows Vista SP1
issues".
Good luck.

--
t-4-2
SpyCatcher

RE: problems with startup
If you are using PC Doctor this is something you will have to learn to live
with. You can try disabling PC D file guard.