External Hard Drive Use?

ED

External Hard Drive Use?
I just bought and installed a external hard drive.

I am fairly knowlegable about computers but this is my first Ex. Hard drive
and know very little about there use.

So what I want to know is how to save my Family Tree Makers files to it. And
once I do that how do I know for sure it is opening from my new drive and not
my computer C: drive?

I saved it to a DVD one time but when the time came when I needed it all
that was there was a short cut but no files.

Thanks much
--
ED
Nonny

Re: External Hard Drive Use?
On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:13:11 -0700, ED <ED@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I just bought and installed a external hard drive.
>
>I am fairly knowlegable about computers but this is my first Ex. Hard drive
>and know very little about there use.
>
>So what I want to know is how to save my Family Tree Makers files to it.

Can you configure FTM to use/save to a different location that it
currently uses? It would be a simple matter to cut and paste data
files to the new drive than have FTM open them from that location.

>once I do that how do I know for sure it is opening from my new drive and not
>my computer C: drive?

If you CUT them from C:, they can't open from C.
ED

Re: External Hard Drive Use?
Thanks Nonny,

So if I understand you correctly, if copy a file from my C: Drive to my
External J: drive I can only open it from my J: drive and not the C:?

So does that mean I loose it from my C:?

--
ED

On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:24:01 -0700, ED <ED@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Nonny,
>
>So if I understand you correctly, if copy a file from my C: Drive to my
>External J: drive I can only open it from my J: drive and not the C:?

No.

>So does that mean I loose it from my C:?

If you CUT it from C, then PASTE it to J, that will happen because
then it will no longer be on C. You can also use "move to" to get it
off of C and onto J.

Copying a file leaves it in the original location and also puts it
into the new location.
David Vair

Re: External Hard Drive Use?
A copy creates a duplicate of the file in the destination location, the
original is unchanged.
A cut (or move to) is a direct movement of the file to a new location the
original is physically moved to the new location and no longer resides at
the original one.
--
David Vair
CNE,CNA,MCP,A+,N+