Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Lost space on 300 gig external drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2008
rq
 

Posts: n/a
Lost space on 300 gig external drive
I have a 300 gig external drive that I use for backups. When I list the folders on the drive and their size, I come up with just under a 100 gigs of used space. The drive shows that I have approx 23 gigs of space left before the drive is full. So here is the question, which one of you guys has my other 170 gigs of storage space. ;-) Thanks for any help.

Richard

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2008
Bender
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost space on 300 gig external drive
If I look at the properties of my backup, it might display 0 bytes used. If I double click on the folder then go through the UAC prompt and continue through the folders I later will show much more than 0 bytes used for the same backup folder.
The missing gigs is because they are not being calculated for folders that require permission to access first.
"rq" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:%23f9F5chuIHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
I have a 300 gig external drive that I use for backups. When I list the folders on the drive and their size, I come up with just under a 100 gigs of used space. The drive shows that I have approx 23 gigs of space left before the drive is full. So here is the question, which one of you guys has my other 170 gigs of storage space. ;-) Thanks for any help.

Richard

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
Ed
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost space on 300 gig external drive
I have a similar problem. My backup drive shows only 4.86 MB free of 298 GB.
I understand what Bender is saying but how did this happen? Doesn't the
backup overwrite the previous backup files everytime a backup is run? Or,
does it keep adding an additional more recent copy everytime backup is run.
If the latter is the case should I just delete a bunch of the oldest backups
on my backup drive? If so, how do I tell which ones are the largest?
Thank you,
Ed

"Bender" wrote:

> If I look at the properties of my backup, it might display 0 bytes used. If I double click on the folder then go through the UAC prompt and continue through the folders I later will show much more than 0 bytes used for the same backup folder.
> The missing gigs is because they are not being calculated for folders that require permission to access first.
> "rq" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:%23f9F5chuIHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I have a 300 gig external drive that I use for backups. When I list the folders on the drive and their size, I come up with just under a 100 gigs of used space. The drive shows that I have approx 23 gigs of space left before the drive is full. So here is the question, which one of you guys has my other 170 gigs of storage space. ;-) Thanks for any help.
>
> Richard
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
SCSIraidGURU
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost space on 300 gig external drive

Disable system restore and reboot.


--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
Ed
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost space on 300 gig external drive
Well, I don't know what any of that means...does anyone else have any ideas
for a computer dummie?

"SCSIraidGURU" wrote:

>
> Disable system restore and reboot.
>
>
> --
> SCSIraidGURU
>
> Michael A. McKenney
> 'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)
>
> Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
> pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
> 16GB DDR667
> SAS RAID
> eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2008
Nonny
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost space on 300 gig external drive
Ed <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Well, I don't know what any of that means...does anyone else have any ideas
>for a computer dummie?


Disable System Restore:

Click the Start orb

Click "Help and Support" (remember this one for future use)

Search for" System Restore"

Choose Number 2

====

Reboot:

Restart your computer


>
>"SCSIraidGURU" wrote:
>
>>
>> Disable system restore and reboot.
>>
>>
>> --
>> SCSIraidGURU
>>
>> Michael A. McKenney
>> 'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)
>>
>> Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
>> pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
>> 16GB DDR667
>> SAS RAID
>> eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
>>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I lost 45 GB of hard disk space born2b-wild microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 3 02-11-2008 21:39
Lost In Space 1.2 Gamer Games Feed 0 01-18-2008 21:40
Lost space on hard drive Daniel microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 09-21-2007 19:02
Disk Manager Shrunk Drive and Lost Disk Space Paul microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 07-20-2007 14:21
Converting my external USB FAT external hard drive to NFTS =?Utf-8?B?bGFkeW1zdmVl?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 2 02-22-2007 07:25




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:47.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120