DEVICE UNKNOWN

Sebahuar

DEVICE UNKNOWN
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p and a Lenovo USB Webcam. I installed SP1 and
the camera stopped working so I uninstalled SP1 and it still doesn't work, it
appears as "Unknown device". Is Microsoft going to publish some solution? I
see all the reports and there are a lot people having the same problem.
Someone could help me please I don't know what to do now. Should I come back
to XP?
DL

Re: DEVICE UNKNOWN
Its Lenovo HW, what do they say?

"Sebahuar" <Sebahuar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p and a Lenovo USB Webcam. I installed SP1 and
> the camera stopped working so I uninstalled SP1 and it still doesn't work,
> it
> appears as "Unknown device". Is Microsoft going to publish some solution?
> see all the reports and there are a lot people having the same problem.
> Someone could help me please I don't know what to do now. Should I come
> back
> to XP?

Sebahuar

Re: DEVICE UNKNOWN
DL, I think it's not a hw problem. The camera appears in the Microsoft site
as certified and in the Lenovo site is the latest driver for Vista. I
installed SP1 and stopped working. And if you see all the complaints about
USB problems I'm sure it's a Vista problem and his SP1 update. I'm worry
because Microsoft is not giving an answer to this issue (I repeat, I'm not
the only one having this problem).

"DL" wrote:

> Its Lenovo HW, what do they say?
>
> "Sebahuar" <Sebahuar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p and a Lenovo USB Webcam. I installed SP1 and
> > the camera stopped working so I uninstalled SP1 and it still doesn't work,
> > it
> > appears as "Unknown device". Is Microsoft going to publish some solution?
> > see all the reports and there are a lot people having the same problem.
> > Someone could help me please I don't know what to do now. Should I come
> > back
> > to XP?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: DEVICE UNKNOWN
But did you ask Lenovo?

> DL, I think it's not a hw problem. The camera appears in the Microsoft
> site
> as certified and in the Lenovo site is the latest driver for Vista. I
> installed SP1 and stopped working. And if you see all the complaints about
> USB problems I'm sure it's a Vista problem and his SP1 update. I'm worry
> because Microsoft is not giving an answer to this issue (I repeat, I'm not
> the only one having this problem).
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> Its Lenovo HW, what do they say?
>>
>> "Sebahuar" <Sebahuar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p and a Lenovo USB Webcam. I installed SP1
>> >and
>> > the camera stopped working so I uninstalled SP1 and it still doesn't
>> > work,
>> > it
>> > appears as "Unknown device". Is Microsoft going to publish some
>> > solution?
>> > see all the reports and there are a lot people having the same problem.
>> > Someone could help me please I don't know what to do now. Should I come
>> > back
>> > to XP?

Sebahuar

Re: DEVICE UNKNOWN
Colin, I put a message in the Lenovo forum, but I didn't receive any answer
:-). I think Lenovo is going to blame on Microsoft and Microsoft is going to
blame on Lenovo :-) I know how it works both of them are going to say their
product is O.K. and meanwhile I'm in the middle without a solution. The
Lenovo driver is new, was launched on April 2008, so I don't know what to
think, the reality shows me that it happened right when I installed SP1,
before that it worked O.K.
If you have any solution it will be welcome :-)

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> But did you ask Lenovo?
>
> "Sebahuar" <Sebahuar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > DL, I think it's not a hw problem. The camera appears in the Microsoft
> > site
> > as certified and in the Lenovo site is the latest driver for Vista. I
> > installed SP1 and stopped working. And if you see all the complaints about
> > USB problems I'm sure it's a Vista problem and his SP1 update. I'm worry
> > because Microsoft is not giving an answer to this issue (I repeat, I'm not
> > the only one having this problem).
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> >> Its Lenovo HW, what do they say?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: DEVICE UNKNOWN
Well, you're speculating before you get an answer. Are the forums user to
user like this ng? Are you using the Lenovo support at
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...UPPRT.html#hp?

> Colin, I put a message in the Lenovo forum, but I didn't receive any
> answer
> :-). I think Lenovo is going to blame on Microsoft and Microsoft is going
> blame on Lenovo :-) I know how it works both of them are going to say
> their
> product is O.K. and meanwhile I'm in the middle without a solution. The
> Lenovo driver is new, was launched on April 2008, so I don't know what to
> think, the reality shows me that it happened right when I installed SP1,
> before that it worked O.K.
> If you have any solution it will be welcome :-)
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> But did you ask Lenovo?
>>
>> "Sebahuar" <Sebahuar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > DL, I think it's not a hw problem. The camera appears in the Microsoft
>> > site
>> > as certified and in the Lenovo site is the latest driver for Vista. I
>> > installed SP1 and stopped working. And if you see all the complaints
>> > about
>> > USB problems I'm sure it's a Vista problem and his SP1 update. I'm
>> > worry
>> > because Microsoft is not giving an answer to this issue (I repeat, I'm
>> > not
>> > the only one having this problem).

GTS

Re: DEVICE UNKNOWN
You're correct that this is a wide spread Vista problem and unlikely to be a
ThinkPad issue. MS has, reportedly, acknowledged the problem but offers no
solution. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04..._defender_sp1/)

Here's are a few things to try.

1. Uninstall the KB938371 update
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938371) if listed. (This is the pre-SP1
MS update that is believed to be the cause of many of these problems. It is
not, however, clear that removing it will necessarily undo the damage.

2. The Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600
may or may not be currently installed on your machine. (It may have been
installed with or before SP1 and may have been removed with it's uninstall.)
Try to download and install it from the link above. It has worked to fix
this problem for me in several cases.

3. Look at the recommendation in this article. In addition to forcing a
driver search to C:\Windows\winsxs try point a search to Windows\System32.
If this works, post back, for advice on making a permanent fix.
http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/usb-...ing-vista-sp1/

I have now seen several cases of major problems caused by SP1 including one
completely trashed system (which was clean and stable beforehand). What a
mess! Please let me know if any of this helps.
--

"Sebahuar" <Sebahuar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p and a Lenovo USB Webcam. I installed SP1 and
> the camera stopped working so I uninstalled SP1 and it still doesn't work,
> it
> appears as "Unknown device". Is Microsoft going to publish some solution?
> see all the reports and there are a lot people having the same problem.
> Someone could help me please I don't know what to do now. Should I come
> back
> to XP?

Sebahuar

Re: DEVICE UNKNOWN
GTS, thank you very much for your answer. I will do what you posted, I'll
keep you informed about the results :-)
One more question, I've been reading yesterday that uninstalling KB938371 is
not possible, is that correct?

"GTS" wrote:

> You're correct that this is a wide spread Vista problem and unlikely to be a
> ThinkPad issue. MS has, reportedly, acknowledged the problem but offers no
> solution. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04..._defender_sp1/)
>
> Here's are a few things to try.
>
> 1. Uninstall the KB938371 update
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938371) if listed. (This is the pre-SP1
> MS update that is believed to be the cause of many of these problems. It is
> not, however, clear that removing it will necessarily undo the damage.
>
> 2. The Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600
> may or may not be currently installed on your machine. (It may have been
> installed with or before SP1 and may have been removed with it's uninstall.)
> Try to download and install it from the link above. It has worked to fix
> this problem for me in several cases.
>
> 3. Look at the recommendation in this article. In addition to forcing a
> driver search to C:\Windows\winsxs try point a search to Windows\System32.
> If this works, post back, for advice on making a permanent fix.
> http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/usb-...ing-vista-sp1/
>
> I have now seen several cases of major problems caused by SP1 including one
> completely trashed system (which was clean and stable beforehand). What a
> mess! Please let me know if any of this helps.
> --
>
> "Sebahuar" <Sebahuar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p and a Lenovo USB Webcam. I installed SP1 and
> > the camera stopped working so I uninstalled SP1 and it still doesn't work,
> > it
> > appears as "Unknown device". Is Microsoft going to publish some solution?
> > see all the reports and there are a lot people having the same problem.
> > Someone could help me please I don't know what to do now. Should I come
> > back
> > to XP?

GTS

Re: DEVICE UNKNOWN
You're welcome. KB938371 should be listed in "Programs And Features" and it
is possible to select it to uninstall, but there are many reports that it
may not work. I don't know if that's always the case.
--

> GTS, thank you very much for your answer. I will do what you posted, I'll
> keep you informed about the results :-)
> One more question, I've been reading yesterday that uninstalling KB938371
> is
> not possible, is that correct?
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> You're correct that this is a wide spread Vista problem and unlikely to
>> be a
>> ThinkPad issue. MS has, reportedly, acknowledged the problem but offers
>> no
>> solution. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04..._defender_sp1/)
>>
>> Here's are a few things to try.
>>
>> 1. Uninstall the KB938371 update
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938371) if listed. (This is the
>> pre-SP1
>> MS update that is believed to be the cause of many of these problems. It
>> is
>> not, however, clear that removing it will necessarily undo the damage.
>>
>> 2. The Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600
>> may or may not be currently installed on your machine. (It may have been
>> installed with or before SP1 and may have been removed with it's
>> uninstall.)
>> Try to download and install it from the link above. It has worked to
>> fix
>> this problem for me in several cases.
>>
>> 3. Look at the recommendation in this article. In addition to forcing
>> driver search to C:\Windows\winsxs try point a search to
>> Windows\System32.
>> If this works, post back, for advice on making a permanent fix.
>> http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/usb-...ing-vista-sp1/
>>
>> I have now seen several cases of major problems caused by SP1 including
>> one
>> completely trashed system (which was clean and stable beforehand). What
>> mess! Please let me know if any of this helps.
>> --
>>
>> "Sebahuar" <Sebahuar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p and a Lenovo USB Webcam. I installed SP1
>> >and
>> > the camera stopped working so I uninstalled SP1 and it still doesn't
>> > work,
>> > it
>> > appears as "Unknown device". Is Microsoft going to publish some
>> > solution?
>> > see all the reports and there are a lot people having the same problem.
>> > Someone could help me please I don't know what to do now. Should I come
>> > back
>> > to XP?

Sebahuar

Re: DEVICE UNKNOWN
GTS, I tried to uninstall KB938371 but I couldn't. I did it using
"Install/uninstall programs" area in Control Panel, I don't know if there's
any way to do it.