Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0

Terry Smerling

Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0
On my Windows Vista Home Premium system am unable to install my MS Wireless
Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0. My MS Wireless Laser/Keyboard 6000 v.2.0 works
fine. I receive a message from my system that Windows needs to install
drivers for Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver 3.1. The instructions for
the Receiver, Keyboard and Mouse, which came together as a package, makes
reference to a Help screen, but I cannot find anything installed. I looked
at KB940199, and attempted to install the named driver; but I received an
error message that Windows encountered an error, 0X8007000d, the Data is
invalid. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

propman

Re: Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0
Terry Smerling wrote:
> On my Windows Vista Home Premium system am unable to install my MS
> Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0. My MS Wireless Laser/Keyboard 6000
> v.2.0 works fine. I receive a message from my system that Windows needs
> to install drivers for Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver 3.1. The
> instructions for the Receiver, Keyboard and Mouse, which came together
> as a package, makes reference to a Help screen, but I cannot find
> anything installed. I looked at KB940199, and attempted to install the
> named driver; but I received an error message that Windows encountered
> an error, 0X8007000d, the Data is invalid. Does anyone have any ideas
> or suggestions?

Check your mouse install disk for file(s) with extensions like pdf, hlp
or html etc.

For example:

Setup.pdf
HelpFile.hlp
Errata.html

If you can't access MS help files system wide (ie no help files
available rather than just the help file for your mouse) then the help
files association may have been turned off. See the following URL or
google for more information on this topic:

http://filext.com/file-extension/HLP

Terry Smerling

Re: Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0
I don't believe I received an install disk. The keyboard, mouse and
receiver came with my machine at the time of purchase. I assumed they were
pre-installed. I did not get around to using them until now. Instead I
used my old keyboard and mouse.

"propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
newsUhYj.3551$KB3.884@edtnps91...
> Terry Smerling wrote:
>> On my Windows Vista Home Premium system am unable to install my MS
>> Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0. My MS Wireless Laser/Keyboard 6000
>> v.2.0 works fine. I receive a message from my system that Windows needs
>> to install drivers for Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver 3.1. The
>> instructions for the Receiver, Keyboard and Mouse, which came together as
>> a package, makes reference to a Help screen, but I cannot find anything
>> installed. I looked at KB940199, and attempted to install the named
>> driver; but I received an error message that Windows encountered an
>> error, 0X8007000d, the Data is invalid. Does anyone have any ideas or
>> suggestions?

> Check your mouse install disk for file(s) with extensions like pdf, hlp or
> html etc.
>
> For example:
>
> Setup.pdf
> HelpFile.hlp
> Errata.html
>

> If you can't access MS help files system wide (ie no help files available
> rather than just the help file for your mouse) then the help files
> association may have been turned off. See the following URL or google for
> more information on this topic:
>
> http://filext.com/file-extension/HLP

Terry Smerling

Re: Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0
I verified with my vendor that no install disk is required: the wireless
receiver, keyboard and mouse are self-installing.

"propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
newsUhYj.3551$KB3.884@edtnps91...
> Terry Smerling wrote:
>> On my Windows Vista Home Premium system am unable to install my MS
>> Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0. My MS Wireless Laser/Keyboard 6000
>> v.2.0 works fine. I receive a message from my system that Windows needs
>> to install drivers for Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver 3.1. The
>> instructions for the Receiver, Keyboard and Mouse, which came together as
>> a package, makes reference to a Help screen, but I cannot find anything
>> installed. I looked at KB940199, and attempted to install the named
>> driver; but I received an error message that Windows encountered an
>> error, 0X8007000d, the Data is invalid. Does anyone have any ideas or
>> suggestions?

> Check your mouse install disk for file(s) with extensions like pdf, hlp or
> html etc.
>
> For example:
>
> Setup.pdf
> HelpFile.hlp
> Errata.html
>

> If you can't access MS help files system wide (ie no help files available
> rather than just the help file for your mouse) then the help files
> association may have been turned off. See the following URL or google for
> more information on this topic:
>
> http://filext.com/file-extension/HLP

propman

Re: Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0
How To Guide and Product Documentation here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=052

Drivers (may include documentation too)

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo.../download.mspx

Also....check the directories on your hard drive for where the retailer
may have installed documentation/driver package for your unit.

Terry Smerling wrote:
> I don't believe I received an install disk. The keyboard, mouse and
> receiver came with my machine at the time of purchase. I assumed they were
> pre-installed. I did not get around to using them until now. Instead I
> used my old keyboard and mouse.
>
> "propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
> newsUhYj.3551$KB3.884@edtnps91...
>> Terry Smerling wrote:
>>> On my Windows Vista Home Premium system am unable to install my MS
>>> Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0. My MS Wireless Laser/Keyboard 6000
>>> v.2.0 works fine. I receive a message from my system that Windows needs
>>> to install drivers for Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver 3.1. The
>>> instructions for the Receiver, Keyboard and Mouse, which came together as
>>> a package, makes reference to a Help screen, but I cannot find anything
>>> installed. I looked at KB940199, and attempted to install the named
>>> driver; but I received an error message that Windows encountered an
>>> error, 0X8007000d, the Data is invalid. Does anyone have any ideas or
>>> suggestions?

>> Check your mouse install disk for file(s) with extensions like pdf, hlp or
>> html etc.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> Setup.pdf
>> HelpFile.hlp
>> Errata.html
>>

>> If you can't access MS help files system wide (ie no help files available
>> rather than just the help file for your mouse) then the help files
>> association may have been turned off. See the following URL or google for
>> more information on this topic:
>>
>> http://filext.com/file-extension/HLP

propman

Re: Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0

.......as long as the relevant drivers etc are available on your
harddrive or the install file can retrieve them automatically or request
that you retrieve them,from a relevent source, such as microsoft.com.
You are getting an error message about missing drivers for the Desktop
Receiver......my inclination is that you are missing them. One way to
find out is download a new set from MS.....then take it from there.

Sometimes files that are supposed to be copied to hard drives just ain't
due to one technical buglet or another. :-)

Terry Smerling wrote:
> I verified with my vendor that no install disk is required: the wireless
> receiver, keyboard and mouse are self-installing.
>
> "propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
> newsUhYj.3551$KB3.884@edtnps91...
>> Terry Smerling wrote:
>>> On my Windows Vista Home Premium system am unable to install my MS
>>> Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0. My MS Wireless Laser/Keyboard 6000
>>> v.2.0 works fine. I receive a message from my system that Windows needs
>>> to install drivers for Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver 3.1. The
>>> instructions for the Receiver, Keyboard and Mouse, which came together as
>>> a package, makes reference to a Help screen, but I cannot find anything
>>> installed. I looked at KB940199, and attempted to install the named
>>> driver; but I received an error message that Windows encountered an
>>> error, 0X8007000d, the Data is invalid. Does anyone have any ideas or
>>> suggestions?

>> Check your mouse install disk for file(s) with extensions like pdf, hlp or
>> html etc.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> Setup.pdf
>> HelpFile.hlp
>> Errata.html
>>

>> If you can't access MS help files system wide (ie no help files available
>> rather than just the help file for your mouse) then the help files
>> association may have been turned off. See the following URL or google for
>> more information on this topic:
>>
>> http://filext.com/file-extension/HLP

Curious

Re: Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0
When I first tried to install the same mouse I also had trouble. You have
to read the instructions very carefully. If I remember correctly there is a
button on the USB dongle that has to be depressed during the installation of
the dongle and there is also a button on the bottom of the mouse that has to
be depressed once the USB dongle is installed and Bluetooth shows up in your
control panel.

"Terry Smerling" <smerling@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I verified with my vendor that no install disk is required: the wireless
>receiver, keyboard and mouse are self-installing.
>
> "propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
> newsUhYj.3551$KB3.884@edtnps91...
>> Terry Smerling wrote:
>>> On my Windows Vista Home Premium system am unable to install my MS
>>> Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0. My MS Wireless Laser/Keyboard 6000
>>> v.2.0 works fine. I receive a message from my system that Windows needs
>>> to install drivers for Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver 3.1. The
>>> instructions for the Receiver, Keyboard and Mouse, which came together
>>> as a package, makes reference to a Help screen, but I cannot find
>>> anything installed. I looked at KB940199, and attempted to install the
>>> named driver; but I received an error message that Windows encountered
>>> an error, 0X8007000d, the Data is invalid. Does anyone have any ideas
>>> or suggestions?

>> Check your mouse install disk for file(s) with extensions like pdf, hlp
>> or html etc.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> Setup.pdf
>> HelpFile.hlp
>> Errata.html
>>

>> If you can't access MS help files system wide (ie no help files available
>> rather than just the help file for your mouse) then the help files
>> association may have been turned off. See the following URL or google
>> for more information on this topic:
>>
>> http://filext.com/file-extension/HLP

Terry Smerling

Re: Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0
Thanks! I downloaded and installed the drivers, and now the problem seems
to be fixed. I also did one other things: I plugged my USB receiver
directly into a USB port on my computer case, as opposed to my USB hub.

> How To Guide and Product Documentation here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=052
>

> Drivers (may include documentation too)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo.../download.mspx
>
> Also....check the directories on your hard drive for where the retailer
> may have installed documentation/driver package for your unit.
>

> Terry Smerling wrote:
>> I don't believe I received an install disk. The keyboard, mouse and
>> receiver came with my machine at the time of purchase. I assumed they
>> were pre-installed. I did not get around to using them until now.
>> Instead I used my old keyboard and mouse.
>>
>> "propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> newsUhYj.3551$KB3.884@edtnps91...
>>>
>>> Check your mouse install disk for file(s) with extensions like pdf, hlp
>>> or html etc.
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> Setup.pdf
>>> HelpFile.hlp
>>> Errata.html
>>>

>>> If you can't access MS help files system wide (ie no help files
>>> available rather than just the help file for your mouse) then the help
>>> files association may have been turned off. See the following URL or
>>> google for more information on this topic:
>>>
>>> http://filext.com/file-extension/HLP

propman

Re: Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0

Great to hear you resolved the problem and thanks for posting a "Solved"
message back to the group....might help someone else in the future. :-)

Terry Smerling wrote:
> Thanks! I downloaded and installed the drivers, and now the problem seems
> to be fixed. I also did one other things: I plugged my USB receiver
> directly into a USB port on my computer case, as opposed to my USB hub.
>
> "propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> How To Guide and Product Documentation here:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=052
>>

>> Drivers (may include documentation too)
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo.../download.mspx
>>
>> Also....check the directories on your hard drive for where the retailer
>> may have installed documentation/driver package for your unit.
>>

>> Terry Smerling wrote:
>>> I don't believe I received an install disk. The keyboard, mouse and
>>> receiver came with my machine at the time of purchase. I assumed they
>>> were pre-installed. I did not get around to using them until now.
>>> Instead I used my old keyboard and mouse.
>>>
>>> "propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> newsUhYj.3551$KB3.884@edtnps91...

Cathy Moya [MS]

Re: Can't Install MS Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 v.1.0
Yup, you may have to re-pair the device and the dongle by doing the buttons.
You press the dongle first, then the device. If you go to the link that
propman provided

How To Guide and Product Documentation here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=052

You can see the pdf of the QuickStart Guide and it shows where the buttons
are.

The help file for mouse shoudl be called iphelp.chm (the keyboard is called
ithelp.chm). It may already be installed by your vendor. There's a section
in the help about troubleshooting wireless devices.

hope that helps!

--
Cathy Moya
Microsoft Hardware User Experience

www.microsoft.com/hardware
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> When I first tried to install the same mouse I also had trouble. You have
> to read the instructions very carefully. If I remember correctly there is
> a button on the USB dongle that has to be depressed during the
> installation of the dongle and there is also a button on the bottom of the
> mouse that has to be depressed once the USB dongle is installed and
> Bluetooth shows up in your control panel.
>
> "Terry Smerling" <smerling@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>I verified with my vendor that no install disk is required: the wireless
>>receiver, keyboard and mouse are self-installing.
>>
>> "propman" <propman@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> newsUhYj.3551$KB3.884@edtnps91...
>>>

>>> Check your mouse install disk for file(s) with extensions like pdf, hlp
>>> or html etc.
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> Setup.pdf
>>> HelpFile.hlp