Mouse 'Magnifier' Function Unstable

John Ciccone

Mouse 'Magnifier' Function Unstable
Hello.

First time I set up the right side button to 'magnify' on this MS Laser
Mouse 6000 in Vista 64 bit, clicking it would cause the entire display to
flash on and off a couple times before teh magnifier. Very disturbing.

Recently had to do a new install, and it now works perfectly.

Today I upgraded another computer to Vista 32 bit, and it exhibits the same
problem (display black, then flashes on, then black again, then it works).
Updating the driver didn't help.

This same mouse works fine in this regard on all XP machines.

Anyone know how to make it settle down?

Thank you.
Bender

Re: Mouse 'Magnifier' Function Unstable
Turn off Windows Aero and you won't get that flashing.

"John Ciccone" <JohnCiccone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF65F7C3-88C7-4A20-B02F-CA2DA61A645D@microsoft.com...
> Hello.
>
> First time I set up the right side button to 'magnify' on this MS Laser
> Mouse 6000 in Vista 64 bit, clicking it would cause the entire display to
> flash on and off a couple times before teh magnifier. Very disturbing.
>
> Recently had to do a new install, and it now works perfectly.
>
> Today I upgraded another computer to Vista 32 bit, and it exhibits the
> same
> problem (display black, then flashes on, then black again, then it works).
> Updating the driver didn't help.
>
> This same mouse works fine in this regard on all XP machines.
>
> Anyone know how to make it settle down?
>
> Thank you.

John Ciccone

Re: Mouse 'Magnifier' Function Unstable
Thank you, Bender. That did the trick.

But I do like Aero. Any idea why this seems to be intermittent (even on the
same machine), and if there's a fix?

"Bender" wrote:

> Turn off Windows Aero and you won't get that flashing.
>
> "John Ciccone" <JohnCiccone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsF65F7C3-88C7-4A20-B02F-CA2DA61A645D@microsoft.com...
> > Hello.
> >
> > First time I set up the right side button to 'magnify' on this MS Laser
> > Mouse 6000 in Vista 64 bit, clicking it would cause the entire display to
> > flash on and off a couple times before teh magnifier. Very disturbing.
> >
> > Recently had to do a new install, and it now works perfectly.
> >
> > Today I upgraded another computer to Vista 32 bit, and it exhibits the
> > same
> > problem (display black, then flashes on, then black again, then it works).
> > Updating the driver didn't help.
> >
> > This same mouse works fine in this regard on all XP machines.
> >
> > Anyone know how to make it settle down?
> >
> > Thank you.

Cathy Moya [MS]

Re: Mouse 'Magnifier' Function Unstable
Known issue, documented in the Help:
Note
In Windows Vista, the screen might flicker when you turn the Magnifier on
and off. In some graphics programs, such as Photo Gallery, images may not
display in the Magnifier window.

No fix at this time.

--
Cathy Moya
Microsoft Hardware User Experience

www.microsoft.com/hardware
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

> Thank you, Bender. That did the trick.
>
> But I do like Aero. Any idea why this seems to be intermittent (even on
> the
> same machine), and if there's a fix?
>
> "Bender" wrote:
>
>> Turn off Windows Aero and you won't get that flashing.
>>
>> "John Ciccone" <JohnCiccone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsF65F7C3-88C7-4A20-B02F-CA2DA61A645D@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello.
>> >
>> > First time I set up the right side button to 'magnify' on this MS Laser
>> > Mouse 6000 in Vista 64 bit, clicking it would cause the entire display
>> > flash on and off a couple times before teh magnifier. Very disturbing.
>> >
>> > Recently had to do a new install, and it now works perfectly.
>> >
>> > Today I upgraded another computer to Vista 32 bit, and it exhibits the
>> > same
>> > problem (display black, then flashes on, then black again, then it
>> > works).
>> > Updating the driver didn't help.
>> >
>> > This same mouse works fine in this regard on all XP machines.
>> >
>> > Anyone know how to make it settle down?
>> >
>> > Thank you.

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Mouse 'Magnifier' Function Unstable
On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:22:47 -0700, "Cathy Moya [MS]"
<camoya@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Known issue, documented in the Help:
>Note
>In Windows Vista, the screen might flicker when you turn the Magnifier on
>and off. In some graphics programs, such as Photo Gallery, images may not
>display in the Magnifier window.
>
>No fix at this time.

Additionally, once the Magnifier is turned on, it is very difficult to
turn the damn thing off.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.