Vista Microphone Problem

Mnemonic

Vista Microphone Problem
I'm incredibly frustrated...

I have Vista x64 and a SigmaTel audio codec. I have normal sound from
speakers, so that's not an issue - but I cannot for the life of me get my
microphones to work. It's been months and no solution

Mics work on other computers (non-Vista) so that's not the problem.

I have the proper mic selected (green check mark) for input.
I have all mics (disabled or otherwise) showing in the "Sound" aspect of the
Control Panel.
I have tried Front and Rear inputs - neither work.
I have enabled all options in the sound menu (task bar icon) - nothing is
muted.
I have mic volumes boosted to max - nothing is registering. Still no sound.
I have tried numerous microphones. None work.

I suspect this is a Vista issue, or an issue with SigmaTel - which
apparently produces no more updates to its drivers since it was bought out by
IDT which has little interest (apparently) in doing so.

Uninstalling drivers could therefore cause me to lose all sound (so I've
read).

Does this mean I'm simply stuck with no mic?

There HAS to be an answer... help please?

propman

Re: Vista Microphone Problem
Mnemonic wrote:
> I suspect this is a Vista issue, or an issue with SigmaTel - which
> apparently produces no more updates to its drivers since it was bought out by
> IDT which has little interest (apparently) in doing so.
>
> Uninstalling drivers could therefore cause me to lose all sound (so I've
> read).

From a quick google search on this subject, apparently there are known
issues with this unit and SP1....see following link (or google advanced
search for further references):

http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...881& t=960310

Information on that page points to Dell having a solution which may or
may not be applicable to your situation....only one way to find out,
right? :-)

As far as uninstalling the drivers, yes you would lose sound until you
either install SP1 (if you need it) and then install original or updated
drivers.....as you didn't list what drivers you currently have
installed, you will have to check Dell's web site for their version.

> Does this mean I'm simply stuck with no mic?
>
> There HAS to be an answer... help please?

Mnemonic

Re: Vista Microphone Problem

> From a quick google search on this subject, apparently there are known
> issues with this unit and SP1....see following link (or google advanced
> search for further references):
>
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...881& t=960310
>
> Information on that page points to Dell having a solution which may or
> may not be applicable to your situation....only one way to find out,
> right? :-)
>
> As far as uninstalling the drivers, yes you would lose sound until you
> either install SP1 (if you need it) and then install original or updated
> drivers.....as you didn't list what drivers you currently have
> installed, you will have to check Dell's web site for their version.

Sorry, I should've been more clear.

The loss of sound from uninstalling the drivers would occur, yes. What I
meant to say, though, is that some people have lost sound and not been able
to get it back since support for the SigmaTel drivers is no longer available.
That would be a really bad situation to be in... "Hello new audio card"

The driver I'm currently dealing with is:

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC (for 64-bit Windows), Driver Version:
6.10.5405.0

Does that help at all?

Mnemonic

Re: Vista Microphone Problem

> From a quick google search on this subject, apparently there are known
> issues with this unit and SP1....see following link (or google advanced
> search for further references):
>
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...881& t=960310
>
> Information on that page points to Dell having a solution which may or
> may not be applicable to your situation....only one way to find out,
> right? :-)
>
> As far as uninstalling the drivers, yes you would lose sound until you
> either install SP1 (if you need it) and then install original or updated
> drivers.....as you didn't list what drivers you currently have
> installed, you will have to check Dell's web site for their version.

I should also add, SP1 for Vista installed with zero problem. There was no
mic sound prior or after, however. It's just NEVER worked.

Mnemonic wrote:
>> From a quick google search on this subject, apparently there are known
>> issues with this unit and SP1....see following link (or google advanced
>> search for further references):
>>
>> http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...881& t=960310
>>
>> Information on that page points to Dell having a solution which may or
>> may not be applicable to your situation....only one way to find out,
>> right? :-)
>>
>> As far as uninstalling the drivers, yes you would lose sound until you
>> either install SP1 (if you need it) and then install original or updated
>> drivers.....as you didn't list what drivers you currently have
>> installed, you will have to check Dell's web site for their version.

> Sorry, I should've been more clear.
>
> The loss of sound from uninstalling the drivers would occur, yes. What I
> meant to say, though, is that some people have lost sound and not been able
> to get it back since support for the SigmaTel drivers is no longer available.
> That would be a really bad situation to be in... "Hello new audio card"

Those rascals need to do their homework a bit more then......<grin>

> The driver I'm currently dealing with is:
>
> SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC (for 64-bit Windows), Driver Version:
> 6.10.5405.0
>
> Does that help at all?

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...=all &x=3&y=7

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.6.10.0.5515, A05
Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver
(Drivers)

Also noticed that one rascal said they got their sound back after
installing SP1 by installing the Windows generic driver....whether they
were the original Sigmatel drivers or a default Windows driver they
didn't elaborate on......but you might want to do some
research/experimentation regarding installing such a driver to see if
your mic inputs start working again.

Baxter

Re: Vista Microphone Problem
I also have sigmatel, I don't use the mic input, but I do have a mic on my
usb webcam that does work, it did take me re installing the webcam software
after re installing sigmatel, yes I reinstalled sigmatel! I had to
uninstall the sigmatel and driver to get sp1, then got sp1, uninstalled the
generic sound driver that it auto installed and re installed sigmatel that I
got from my computer manufacturers site, no problems, did not lose sound
forever like you are worried about.

"Mnemonic" wrote:

> > From a quick google search on this subject, apparently there are known
> > issues with this unit and SP1....see following link (or google advanced
> > search for further references):
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...881& t=960310
> >
> > Information on that page points to Dell having a solution which may or
> > may not be applicable to your situation....only one way to find out,
> > right? :-)
> >
> > As far as uninstalling the drivers, yes you would lose sound until you
> > either install SP1 (if you need it) and then install original or updated
> > drivers.....as you didn't list what drivers you currently have
> > installed, you will have to check Dell's web site for their version.
> >

> I should also add, SP1 for Vista installed with zero problem. There was no
> mic sound prior or after, however. It's just NEVER worked.

KifKroker

Re: Vista Microphone Problem

Mnemonic,

I wanted to get my mic to work through the speakers and by clicking
around I found this...

Control Panel \ Sound

Select Speakers and Click Properties
Select Levels Tab

From here you can turn the Microphone volume on and off...

It is off by default to prevent looping and feedback...

KifKroker

--
KifKroker